Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 18, 2014, 10:39:35 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 18, 2014, 10:37:07 PM
If that poll is correct, then I suppose the status quo remains.
That's the kind of sharp insight we need around here!
:P
Haha, I just thought to myself after I posted that, Jesus any hoor could come up with that statement! :D

Quote from: ludermor on September 18, 2014, 10:39:08 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 18, 2014, 10:37:07 PM
If that poll is correct, then I suppose the status quo remains.
with the new powers promised to Scotland it will be no status quo.
Promised being the key word. They may not get any!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dec

Latest Paddy Power odds

Against Independence (Fail)
1/16

For Independence (Pass)
13/2

AZOffaly

I said 56-44. It may be more comfortable than that.

Sidney

I propose Stockholm Syndrome be renamed "Scotland Syndrome".

Only for the men of '16 we'd have been subjected to those c***ts Bruton and Geldof telling the Irish we were "better together" over the last month. 

RealSpiritof98

The poll has to be taken lightly in this race, so unique are the events. Im still going slight no, but like everyone, who knows?

Sidney

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on September 18, 2014, 11:09:49 PM
The poll has to be taken lightly in this race, so unique are the events. Im still going slight no, but like everyone, who knows?
Give it up. The writing is on Hadrian's Wall.

LondonCamanachd

The good guys have lost - we just weren't ready for the media onslaught in the last 2 weeks.  :-\

armaghniac

Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2014, 11:20:34 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on September 18, 2014, 11:09:49 PM
Give it up. The writing is on Hadrian's Wall.

Hadrian's Wall is in England. This is what the thing is all about, getting instructions from England.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

I wouldn't underestimate Plaid Cymru. Some clever people in there. Ever see Paxman thinking he was going to walk over a Welsh nationalist only to have his ass handed to him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gy7f8vP2QY

Sidney

In a parallel world:

Former Prime Minister Lord Bruton of Boyneside and Sir Bob Geldof have made impassioned pleas for Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom ahead of Friday's referendum on whether Ireland should secede.

"We've fought two World Wars together, and we've been part of the greatest and most successful political union the world has ever seen. It would be tragic to throw away almost 850 years of shared history", said Lord Bruton, who served as Prime Minister from 1990 to 1997 and Chancellor of the Exchequer from 1982 to 1990, and is best remembered for his imposition of the infamous "poll tax" on Ireland, even after it had been dropped in the rest of the Union.

"Ireland is a feeling", said Geldof, in a speech at a rally at the John Redmond Cenotaph in Dublin's Sackville Street, which was also attended by Irish First Minister Enda Kenny and Prime Minister David Cameron.

Geldof has been joined by other famous names from the entertainment world, such as U2's Bono, BBC Ireland's Gay Byrne and Terry Wogan, and ITV Ireland's Ryan Tubridy in calling for a No vote.

Sporting stars such as England and Kilkenny county cricket legend Henry Shefflington, golfer Rory McIlroy, Ireland football star Roy Queen and rugby player Brian O'Driscoll have also been lining up to play their part in the "Better Together" campaign.

Meanwhile former US Open golf champion Graeme McDowell, Ireland cricket captain John Mooney and British Loins rugby captain Sean Cavanagh have been on the receiving end of a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse on Twitter after revealing that they favour independence.

Polls currently show the outcome to be too close to call, but it's thought that a strong Yes vote in areas such as Limerick, Wexford and West Dublin may be cancelled out by similarly strong No votes in Unionist strongholds such as Cork, Kilkenny and Fingal.

The referendum has been played out against a backdrop of controversial issues, such as the location of the UK's Trident Nuclear submarines off the west coast, and the No campaign arguing that revenues from the export of potatoes would be insufficient to run an independent economy. All major national newspapers have called for a No vote, however controversy flared at the weekend after Yes campaign leader Martin McGuinness was compared to Hitler by the Sunday Independent. Irish Times editor Eoghan Harris has said that "separating ourselves from the mainland would be a total disaster".

weareros

Easy attack Bruton and Geldof but most recent poll shows more Catholics in NI back remaining in UK that joining a UI. And the opinion polls unfortunately look being accurate in the Scotland poll. It's clear people  put the their pennies before their patriotism.

Eamonnca1

The only chance for Yes now is Glasgow. Inverclyde is nearby and Yes got 49.92% there, the best result Yes has gotten so far from the 5 counties that have reported.

Eamonnca1

Good God Dundee just came in at 57.35% Yes! Yes overall is up to 49.09%! We're back in the game!

Maurice Moss

Dundee just announced as first Yes win for Yes campaign, but I don't think it was a big enough win with 57%

Agreed Eamonnca1, the Yes campaign need a large majority win in Glasgow and it does not look likely having seen the Inverclyde results. Glasgow however, has had the lowest turn out from the 32 councils with 75%, but being the largest populated area only time will tell.

Eamonnca1