Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

bennydorano

Quote from: theskull1 on September 18, 2014, 08:08:47 AM
The well paid higher tax bracket group will be critical. How many will vote ethically and how many will vote selfishly. A more fairer society relies on someone taking the hit.
In a straight headcount they are no more important that a Dole claimant, who in this case would most certainly outnumber them. Plus the SNP have been known to be called the real Scottish Tories, so it should be their natural support base.

ludermor

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 18, 2014, 07:08:04 AM
Some people are saying if Yes prevails, next on the agenda will be a united Ireland. I couldn't see it myself, too much of a mess to clean up in the north first and that job has barely begun. My money would be on Wales going next.
Id say there is more hope of the Isle of Man breaking away, the Welsh seems quite content with there lot .

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2014, 07:57:05 AM
It will be a no. When it comes to the crunch in the booth they will chicken out
They don't have the same attitude as Irish people - or do they?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: ludermor on September 18, 2014, 08:22:54 AM
Some people are saying if Yes prevails, next on the agenda will be a united Ireland. I couldn't see it myself, too much of a mess to clean up in the north first and that job has barely begun. My money would be on Wales going next.
Id say there is more hope of the Isle of Man breaking away, the Welsh seems quite content with there lot .

Exactly. Wales seem quite content with their position as a part of Britain, albeit with strong cultural identity. They are the best of the Celts in terms of language, but the least inclined towards independence. They are a principality technically, I think, and seem quite happy with that.

AQMP

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2014, 10:40:28 PM
Does anyone think if there was a referendum in the six counties,Cameron,Clegg,Miliband et al would be over pleading for a No vote?

No, I'd think they'd be over pleading for a Yes vote!

Zip Code

Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2014, 11:02:08 PM
Prediction:

No 55
Yes 45

I think the no could be higher - as someone else alluded to the No's have been quiet probably because of fear of intimidation.

AQMP

Quote from: Zip Code on September 18, 2014, 08:47:59 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2014, 11:02:08 PM
Prediction:

No 55
Yes 45

I think the no could be higher - as someone else alluded to the No's have been quiet probably because of fear of intimidation.

I'm going for No to prevail in the region of 55%/45% +-2%.  I think a lot of "heart" Yes voters will crap themselves in the voting booth.  Though Andy Murray coming out for Yes might sway a few undecided tennis club members!

Ulick

Quote from: ludermor on September 18, 2014, 08:22:54 AM

Point of order but the Isle of Man are not part of the UK so they've nothing to break away from. The UK represents it in foreign affairs but to all intents and purpose they are independent.

Bensars

I think the Yes could sneak this. After 10 days of operation "fear" and the support or to some degree bias of all the major media outlets, the scaremongering, the supermarkets, all daves political allies across the world etc etc  the latest polls are showing that the Yes vote could be within touching distance. 52% vs 48%.

Seen on twitter last night someone within conservative party ( cant remember who) stating  a week or more ago, that if the Yes vote were around high 40% mark come election day that you could say goodbye to the United Kingdom.

Ulick

I know it's only anecdotal and everything by the #indyref tag on Twitter is something to behold. If it was representative it would be a landslide for Yes. People coming out crying after voting with the emotion of it.

passedit

Sign at Gretna

Voters queuing

Clegg's pledges
Scotland's Facebook Status
Don't Panic

ardtole

I would love to see a yes vote tomorrow morning. Il be sitting up tonight to see the voting patterns emerge, i see PP have moved the yes vote out to 7/2, I might have a small bet after work today. I can imagine the unionists in the North are sick in their stomachs with worry today, hopefully the scots will grasp this opportunity. Ive been following the campaign for the last two weeks and the yes supporters seem to me to have a real momentum with them. I was suprised their odds drifted out to 7/2 with Paddy Power they usually know whats going on but I hope they are wrong this time.

deiseach

I think this is going to at least 47-53 for No. I'm not convinced by arguments that the polling is not sampling the right voters or that they have no reference point because there has been nothing like this before. The science of polling has come a long way since the 1992 general election in Britain and they've gotten the numbers consistently right since then. And that election contains a lesson - that a lot of people are reluctant to admit they are voting for the status quo. Oh, in public they moan about the Tories and how much they hate the establishment and someone needs to give them a good kick up the arse. But when it comes to the privacy of the polling booth, their courage will fail them. Hope I'm wrong.