Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Hardy

I must say that's very credible. I wouldn't pass any remarks about why it's unattributed.

dec

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 11, 2014, 10:36:36 PM
It's gas hearing the yes side talking about the bond between England and Scotland......poor aul Wales is like the ugly sister

What about Norn Iron ! We exist !!

seafoid

I think there is big danger for norn Irn in that no matter what way the Scottish vote goes there is going to be more of a focus on regionalism within the UK. London could start asking to keep more of the money it generates.  NI is not able to fund itself. Could get quite messy. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: dec on September 12, 2014, 02:18:19 AM
It's gas hearing the yes side talking about the bond between England and Scotland......poor aul Wales is like the ugly sister

Wales is the ugly sister, quiet, but good at singing. NI is the mad sister in the attic.

QuoteI think there is big danger for norn Irn in that no matter what way the Scottish vote goes there is going to be more of a focus on regionalism within the UK. London could start asking to keep more of the money it generates.  NI is not able to fund itself. Could get quite messy.

More explicit accounting seems likely to result. Some of NIs accounts might not look well in daylight.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haranguerer

If that situation were to arise (but I find it extremely unlikely), then the natural progression would be to seek support from wherever possible, that being Dublin.

The No campaign really aren't covering themselves in glory. They'll win comfortably enough in the end I imagine, but its been a shambolic campaign for them which has resulted in concessions far greater than probably would have been necessary if they had deigned to take the scots seriously from the start.

Ulick

Quote from: seafoid on September 12, 2014, 08:53:39 AM
I think there is big danger for norn Irn in that no matter what way the Scottish vote goes there is going to be more of a focus on regionalism within the UK. London could start asking to keep more of the money it generates.  NI is not able to fund itself. Could get quite messy.

They said that about Scotland once upon a time as well but hey ho when the figures were actually put under the spotlight it turned out to be untrue. Fact is we don't actually know the figures regarding the extent of the deficient in the northern economy. Yes we know how much it gets under Barnett but we don't know how much is raised in local taxes and sent to London.

Like everything else in 'Northern Ireland', the economy here is an artificial construct with almost everything skewed towards Britain at the expense of our natural hinterland in the 26 counties. This has happened for various historical reasons but there is no reason not to suppose than once the economy is rebalanced, the north couldn't in time regain it's former position as an economic power house of the country. The six counties has all the ingredients required for that to happen in terms of modern infrastructure and a young, educated and skilled workforce. Like the Scots the 6 counties have nothing to fear from standing on their own two feet in any new settlement cut from London's apron.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ulick on September 12, 2014, 10:32:06 AM
Like everything else in 'Northern Ireland', the economy here is an artificial construct with almost everything skewed towards Britain at the expense of our natural hinterland in the 26 counties. This has happened for various historical reasons but there is no reason not to suppose than once the economy is rebalanced, the north couldn't in time regain it's former position as an economic power house of the country. The six counties has all the ingredients required for that to happen in terms of modern infrastructure and a young, educated and skilled workforce. Like the Scots the 6 counties have nothing to fear from standing on their own two feet in any new settlement cut from London's apron.

The problem, and Scotland's problem, is how do you get from here to there? Presently you have a skewed model which depresses production in NI in favour of Britain, which then sends some money. To improve the skew you have to cut the link, but people will not tolerate the loss of the handouts in the meantime.

The UK is like smoking. The smoking does the smoker no good in the long term, but in the short term stopping causes them to feel worse.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on September 12, 2014, 10:14:47 AM
Quote from: dec on September 12, 2014, 02:18:19 AM

Wales is the ugly sister, quiet, but good at singing. NI is the mad sister in the attic.

QuoteI think there is big danger for norn Irn in that no matter what way the Scottish vote goes there is going to be more of a focus on regionalism within the UK. London could start asking to keep more of the money it generates.  NI is not able to fund itself. Could get quite messy.

More explicit accounting seems likely to result. Some of NIs accounts might not look well in daylight.
The other problem is that  the Queen, Protestantism and Armed forces/Somme ideology of the unionists is well past its sell by date and resonates with fewer and fewer people in Britain.  It is all over murals in the North but it is so out of touch. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AQMP

One thing that has struck me about this whole issue is that the "establishment", "powers that be" and "vested interests" (which appear to include nearly all mainstream media outlets) appear to be shit scared, not that Scottish people will vote for independence per se, but that people in general will realise that you can change things through engagement in the political process.

Ulick

Eamonnca1

I wonder if the voters give the "wrong" answer will they be asked to vote again.

screenexile

Will "themmuns" be allowed to put up Scottish flags around the 12th if they get a 'YES' vote? Surely they shouldn't be celebrating the Nation that turned its back on the Union. . .

From a total outsider I've taken a bit of a passing interest and it looks like the Yes campaign have picked up serious momentum this last few weeks. If the No campaign win I think it'll be by the skin of their teeth and it will be their own fault for not putting the resource behind their campaign. There was there probably little will among the majority to change the status quo until the apathy Westminster showed to the campaign until it was too late.

Allied to that the Yes campaign have had some very passionate spokespeople and canvassers who have really made it a point of highlighting what they think can be achieved with Independence. Not least your man above who's confidence about what will happen if Independence is gained is astounding.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out and hopefully they get their independence and everything goes well for them!

Maguire01

I have a feeling the Yes campaign will sneak it. Bet Cameron's sorry he didn't let Salmond have Devo Max on the ballot paper... and Salmond delighted that he was denied this.

Some rumours that Murdoch will come out in support of Yes. Would be very interesting if that happened.