Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

deiseach

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 10:30:35 AM
Oh, did anyone see the 'close to tears' David Cameron giving his heartfelt speech in Scotland yesterday.
The only way that man would have been in tears was if he was pulling his pubes out with the hand he'd jammed in his pocket...
Sure wouldn't the Tories be better off without Scotland, almost guaranteed house of Commons majority and no Scottish basket case to pump funds into it.

He'll come to regret that effin' Tories line.

bcarrier

The timing of the Invictus Games looks suspect.

Some nonsense being spouted by both sides now.

I dont think the Scots have though through what type of country they want to be after independence or maybe the SNP dont want to say it. Could they be better off without the oversized banking sector and its contingent liabilities.

magpie seanie

Quote from: bcarrier on September 11, 2014, 10:38:50 AM
The timing of the Invictus Games looks suspect.

Some nonsense being spouted by both sides now.

I dont think the Scots have though through what type of country they want to be after independence or maybe the SNP dont want to say it. Could they be better off without the oversized banking sector and its contingent liabilities.

On the contrary I think the SNP have produced quite a detailed white paper on it.

andoireabu

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

general_lee

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
RBS, Standard Life all being lined up to say they'll move jobs out of Scotland to London, all the big shots are being fired now that its getting a bit too close for comfort for Cameron and Co.
Moving registered head offices (RBS anyway) to London, operations to remain in Edinburgh, Greenock etc. More scaremongering.

The BT campaigners have been utterly pathetic but it seems their scare tactics will come out on top. Shame really!

bcarrier

FT

Mr Salmond can tug on the emotions of his fellow countrymen but he has given few credible answers about the challenges – economic, social and international – which would face Scotland. His Panglossian pitch is that the Scots can have the best of all possible worlds: independence, the monarchy and the pound, and that a Scotland which retreats into a narrower nationalist identity will somehow be better equipped to prosper in a world of globalisation.

His argument contains glaring inconsistencies. A currency union demands a political union. The eurozone's travails show us as much. Mark Carney, governor of the Bank of England, made clear again this week that political independence is incompatible with maintaining sterling as the currency of choice. Mr Salmond insists the English establishment is bluffing. This is no bluff. The currency uncertainty will blight every aspect of the Scottish economy, from commercial lending to mortgages. Without total clarity, every Scottish citizen is left exposed.

Mr Salmond claims that separation is the best guarantee of future prosperity. His calculations are based on much wishful thinking covering vital matters such as the future oil price and how much of the UK's debt would be assumed by the Scots. He presumes that it serves no one's interest to be unreasonable about the terms of divorce, but he underestimates the psychological shock. No one can predict the consequences.

Nor is it obvious why Scotland will gain early and automatic entry into the EU. Other European states with their own separatist movements – notably Spain – have little incentive to agree to a quick deal. The only certainty is uncertainty, at a high cost to Scotland and the UK. The shift of deposits and money out of Scotland this week is a harbinger.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/b5c48254-376e-11e4-bd0a-00144feabdc0.html?segid=0100320#axzz3CwObyzTG

seafoid

RBS, Standard Life all being lined up to say they'll move jobs out of Scotland to London, all the big shots are being fired now that its getting a bit too close for comfort for Cameron and Co.
RBS's main engine is Nat West which was 100% English before RBS bought it
Bank of Scotland bought Halifax aswell which had to be rescued by Lloyds - the Scottish banks went
nuts during the boom years  , not unlike our own

And they are far too big for Scotland to manage in a meltdown
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bensars

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2014, 02:37:27 PM
RBS's main engine is Nat West which was 100% English before RBS bought it
Bank of Scotland bought Halifax aswell which had to be rescued by Lloyds - the Scottish banks went
nuts during the boom years  , not unlike our own

And they are far too big for Scotland to manage in a meltdown

Plenty of dirty tricks happening. The closer to the referendum the more desperate the measures.

QuoteSalmond accuses Treasury of 'leak'

Posted at 10:39

First Minister Alex Salmond has accused the Treasury of leaking details of an RBS notice to markets in breach of financial regulations.

Mr Salmond is writing a letter of complaint to the head of the civil service and the prime minister.

RBS has confirmed it has contingency plans to relocate its registered headquarters to London in the event of a Yes vote next Thursday.

But in a letter to staff, the bank's chief executive said he had no intention of moving operations or staff.

Quote'Market sensitive information'

Posted at 12:33

Alex Salmond, during his media conference address, told the BBC's Politicial Editor Nick Robinson that he hoped the BBC would "co-operate with the inevitable investigation" - into an alleged Treasury leak - of an RBS notice to relocate its registered headquarters to London in the event of a 'Yes' vote.

"Market sensitive information, and it's a basic rule, can't be released prior to the market announcement at 7 o'clock this morning," said Mr Salmond. "The RBS share price changed overnight. This is a matter of extraordinary gravity.

"I know the BBC will want to co-operate with the inevitable investigation by the Cabinet secretary into the briefing of this information, given that the briefing of information - even if we weren't in a campaign - the briefing of market sensitive information is as serious a matter as you can possibly get.

"Therefore, I know that the BBC, in its impartial role as public sector broadcaster, will give full co-operation to that investigation."

Ulick

It's all a bit frantic at the moment - the No camp is throwing everything they've got to stop the momentum of the Yes camp carrying through into next week. You'd wonder if they can keep up this pace though or will the scaremongering backfire with the electorate before the vote. 

Hardy

It's like Kerry-Mayo now, except no replay allowed. Fifteen minutes to go and the 'Kerry-NO' have installed three Donaghies on the edge of the square in the shape of RBS, Lloyds and Clydesdale and they've each buried it to take a narrow lead. But the difference in this game is that you can only score that goal once. Mayo-YES have fifteen minutes to spring something. What K-N don't know is that the plan is to do nothing. They can't stop their dodgy back line of Cameron, Clegg and Darling from conceding a bucketful of OGs in the last few minutes.

Hereiam

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea if the BBC were to show Braveheart next Wednesday night the hell of it.  ;D

passedit

Quote from: Hereiam on September 11, 2014, 03:35:47 PM
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea if the BBC were to show Braveheart next Wednesday night the hell of it.  ;D

You can be certain the BBC won't show it. Their coverage has been disgracefully one sided (not that I'm suggesting that Braveheart would add a bit of balance). Those of us in the North won't be surprised by this but regardless of the outcome it's opened a few eyes in Scotland.
Don't Panic

Ulick

Quote from: passedit on September 11, 2014, 03:48:32 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on September 11, 2014, 03:35:47 PM

You can be certain the BBC won't show it. Their coverage has been disgracefully one sided (not that I'm suggesting that Braveheart would add a bit of balance). Those of us in the North won't be surprised by this but regardless of the outcome it's opened a few eyes in Scotland.

Been like that pretty much from the beginning:

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/8598-broadcasters-favouring-no-campaign-according-to-new-academic-study

magpie seanie

Fairness is such an alien concept to the British ruling elite that they can't even fake an attempt at it. Our buckos at least try to feign it but I guess they're only amateurs in comparison.

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 11, 2014, 04:01:33 PM
Fairness is such an alien concept to the British ruling elite that they can't even fake an attempt at it. Our buckos at least try to feign it but I guess they're only amateurs in comparison.

correct, every time I hear some gobshite on TV talking about the British sense of fair play and all that, there's a little bit of sick in my mouth as my stomach wretches.