Was it worth shifting the all Ireland finals back 2 weeks ?

Started by seafoid, October 29, 2018, 10:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2018, 10:36:16 AM
The April club only thing originated with them if I recall rightly.
Bits of tweaks here and there not the best way to go sorting it out.
However if you try for one big overall new system probably take years to agree something and maybe as long again to implement.
However everyone is giving out but like the Health Service I don't see too many coming up with workable proposals.
You can't compare the Gah to the Health Service though. The association runs a national institution on a relatively small budget. And runs it quite well
The Health Service is a clusterfuck .

They should revert back to the original AIF dates until they are ready to change it properly.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

five points

The April club only thing was short-sighted from the start. For a start, compressing club games into such a short window is gambling with the weather. Clubs should have the odd county-games-free weekend each month from late February til May.

There's nothing much wrong with the GAA fixtures calendar, although there will always be an unavoidable conflict between club and county. It''s funny to see it compared to the utter disaster of the health service.

magpie seanie

Quote from: five points on October 30, 2018, 10:58:41 AM
The April club only thing was short-sighted from the start. For a start, compressing club games into such a short window is gambling with the weather. Clubs should have the odd county-games-free weekend each month from late February til May.

There's nothing much wrong with the GAA fixtures calendar, although there will always be an unavoidable conflict between club and county. It''s funny to see it compared to the utter disaster of the health service.

Seriously? Are you for real?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2018, 10:36:16 AM
The April club only thing originated with them if I recall rightly.
Bits of tweaks here and there not the best way to go sorting it out.
However if you try for one big overall new system probably take years to agree something and maybe as long again to implement.
However everyone is giving out but like the Health Service I don't see too many coming up with workable proposals.

It's important to be clear on this. It was part of an overarching fixtures plan that was cherry picked out and used. It was never intended by the CPA for this on its own to be a solution.

five points

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2018, 11:22:44 AM

Yes I'm for real.

Rossfan

Seafóidín I wasn't really comparing the GAA and the HSE.  Just saying the fixtures and the health service are 2 things everyone gives out about but few if any offer solutions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2018, 12:51:33 PM
Seafóidín I wasn't really comparing the GAA and the HSE.  Just saying the fixtures and the health service are 2 things everyone gives out about but few if any offer solutions.
could they not have a meeting about the calendar and get everyone to agree to it? It can't be that complex. Jaysus. 

Farrandeelin

Our seniors finished the end of September. Is that too early to finish the season?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

trailer

Would a radical idea not to split the season into 3 distinct phases. Inter County, Club and Off.

Inter county March to July. Whatever competitions you want to run in whatever order you run them, knock yourselves out. Inter County teams have exclusive rights to the players. Club have no call on county players but counties can run league games etc and keep the non county player ticking over.
Club August to November. Clubs have exclusive rights over their players and are under no obligation to release them to county teams. I'd suspect county teams wouldn't be doing anything anyway. Counties free to run their championships as they see fit, feeding into a provincial and AI series.
Off Season from Nov to March where everyone can relax, eat a bit of turkey, take the misses out for a spot of dinner, go to the cinema, meet lads for a few pints.

I think the whole thing can be fixed and rather easily if they'd just sit down and do it. Yes there would be a few vested interests with their noses put out of joint (Schools, Colleges etc) but for the greater good something must be done. You only have to look at the last round of reserve fixtures in Tyrone where all but a handful were conceded as players and teams chose not to field. If something isn't done, club football will die. First the reserve teams and then after that who knows.

shawshank

Quote from: five points on October 30, 2018, 11:56:31 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2018, 11:22:44 AM

Yes I'm for real.

Incredulous

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2018, 12:51:33 PM

the problem is that no one is coming forward with ideas its that there are for too many  ideas around and very few hane much in common . bet you see 3 or 4 new ones on this thread before it finishes.
which to me means there is no one great idea out there to solve everyone's problems. and solution has to be a pick and choose of the ones out there . much as it is now but to make change the solution be a clear improvement on whats presently in place
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Whatever about February or March  there are usually 27 weekends from the 1st weekend in April to the 1st weekend in October inclusive.
Can we not designate say 11 weekends for Inter County Championships, 11 for Clubs and 5 flexible weekends?
Should be easier when 2 tier All Ireland SFC comes in.
How you distribute those weekends would require a bit of thought but the aimed would be to have all County Finals played by 1st weekend in October.
4 weekends out of 6 in October /November for Provincial Club Championship and second half November 1st weekend in December for All Ireland Club.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

We finished championship round robin games in early September.
Our junior team competitions are still at the league phase
They'll probably still be playing in December

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2018, 04:08:38 PM
Whatever about February or March  there are usually 27 weekends from the 1st weekend in April to the 1st weekend in October inclusive.
Can we not designate say 11 weekends for Inter County Championships, 11 for Clubs and 5 flexible weekends?
How you distribute those weekends would require a bit of thought but the aimed would be to have all County Finals played by 1st weekend in October.
4 weekends out of 6 in October /November for Provincial Club Championship and second half November 1st weekend in December for All Ireland Club.
One problem with the new setup for intercounty is more games mean more injuries.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on October 30, 2018, 04:08:38 PM

The problem with all these plans is the sheer variety of GAA competitions, at club and county level, in both codes. The overall provincial, national and county Master Fixtures plans are almost incomprehensible in their complexity.

Only a tiny minority of clubs take part in provincial Club Championships and only a subset of these take them anyway seriously. I don't think its a good idea to curtail the entire season for everyone, just to suit this minority.