Started by DownFanatic, October 25, 2018, 11:52:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: spuds on October 26, 2018, 07:56:32 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 25, 2018, 11:08:02 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 25, 2018, 10:08:12 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 25, 2018, 05:38:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 25, 2018, 12:45:21 PM
I think a definition of "isolated" is needed here.

Quote from: Tatler Jack on October 25, 2018, 04:05:30 PM
a fair distance from Mitchelstown.

OK. Not the definition I expected.

Very good Hardy!
Farr, you could help me out here. I was having an argument with a few Mayo buddies recently  about isolated GAA clubs in the county. (A spin off from this topic.)
Obviously, Achill came up but the argument quickly descended to a quarrel when I said there was no point in trying to name any GAA club on the island because there is none. The only club in that area is across the Sound on Corraun, near the community college. Can you come to my rescue? ;D
We played some underage games on a pitch just backing on to the beach at Keel but that pitch long gone now I think. Played at the secondary school also.

could have sworn that was a soccer pitch
Hasta la victoria siempre

spuds

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on October 26, 2018, 08:16:52 AM

Very good Hardy!
Farr, you could help me out here. I was having an argument with a few Mayo buddies recently  about isolated GAA clubs in the county. (A spin off from this topic.)
Obviously, Achill came up but the argument quickly descended to a quarrel when I said there was no point in trying to name any GAA club on the island because there is none. The only club in that area is across the Sound on Corraun, near the community college. Can you come to my rescue? ;D
We played some underage games on a pitch just backing on to the beach at Keel but that pitch long gone now I think. Played at the secondary school also.

could have sworn that was a soccer pitch
It was all things to all people day and night!

Remember playing a soccer game on another beach way back, maybe near where Achill Rovers play now at the Valley, was half sand half scraw.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

whitey

Very good Hardy!

That pitch was referred to as The Sandybanks

whitey

Very good Hardy!

There's a famous competition between the Island villages called the Scanlan Cup-maybe that's what they were thinking of.  http://achill.gaa.ie/scanlon-cup-history

rosnarun

Quote from: whitey on October 26, 2018, 12:24:14 PM

Very good Hardy!

is that not kiltanes second pitch in doohoma where they never lost a game . the opposition always lost the will to live
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

whitey

Quote from: rosnarun on October 26, 2018, 02:47:02 PM

Very good Hardy!

is that not kiltanes second pitch in doohoma where they never lost a game . the opposition always lost the will to live

I never played in Kiktane, but I heard stories about the hostility down there from a Ballina man.....including a shotgun being fired in the air at a game

They would have a different pitch, but it's possible they also call theirs the Sandybanks

When I used to play in mid/early 80s you always had to verify which Achill pitch you were playing on and I remember the one in Keel being referred to as the Sandybanks.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: whitey on October 26, 2018, 03:30:08 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on October 26, 2018, 02:47:02 PM

Very good Hardy!

I never played in Kiktane, but I heard stories about the hostility down there from a Ballina man.....including a shotgun being fired in the air at a game

They would have a different pitch, but it's possible they also call theirs the Sandybanks

When I used to play in mid/early 80s you always had to verify which Achill pitch you were playing on and I remember the one in Keel being referred to as the Sandybanks.

What bugs me is that Knockmore and Ballina always have to go back to Bangor or Belmullet for underage games. Never do I remember them having to return the favour.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blast05

If the measure of most isolated club was by distance from the clubs main pitch to nearest neighbours pitch.....

Then, Belmullet GAA pitch to their nearest neighbours - Kiltane - at 23.3 km is, i reckon, the furthest.

Louisburgh to Westport a close tied second at 22.3 km along with Goleen in West Cork to Muintir Mhaire

Glencolmcille to Glencar 'just' 15.9km.

And while Aran Islands would obviously take the longest to get to (do Inishturk and Clare Island have active clubs?), it is ~15-16km as 'the crow flies' to Liscannor.

To get various pitch locations, then use https://www.gaapitchfinder.com/
Then use google maps to measure the distance between locations

BennyCake

What is the club just before the bridge  at Achill sound

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Was the sandbanks in achill not just a pitch they used for a few years when the one before the bridge was not in use for some reason ? 90s it was definitely the sandbanks they used
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

6th sam

There are 3 strong hurling only clubs at the tip of the Ards peninsula. Ballygalget, portaferry and Ballycran. Though are separated from the "mainland" East Down club's to the south by Strangford lough, there is a ferry service. However the most northern of the 3 clubs Ballycran is 24 miles away from the nearest GAA club to the North in Hollywood, with a massive GAA wasteland in between. North Down is a densely populated area, and only served by 2 GAA clubs , Carryduff and St Pauls Hollywood , though you could include Bredagh which is South Belfast .