Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

trailer

Calls Celtic a poor side = trolling ****. LOL Sensitive much? I never even mentioned their open sectarianism. Oops.

dublin7

Celtic are not a good side by European standards. 2nd year in a row they have failed to even qualify for the Champions league group stages. Last year they stumbled through the group stages of the Europa League and got well beaten in the 1st knock out round.

The problem Celtic have is they can't attract top players anymore. Any signings outside of the Scottish league are going to be youngsters who they hope will improve or players near the end of their careers. They can't pay anything like the wages/transfer fees of premier league teams or even the top teams in the championship. Any of their European players who play well and/or shows potential is going to be signed/tapped up by European clubs.

Realistically the days of competing in the champions league are gone and just qualifying for the group stages will be an achievement in future

lenny

Quote from: dublin7 on August 14, 2019, 03:24:23 PM
Celtic are not a good side by European standards. 2nd year in a row they have failed to even qualify for the Champions league group stages. Last year they stumbled through the group stages of the Europa League and got well beaten in the 1st knock out round.

The problem Celtic have is they can't attract top players anymore. Any signings outside of the Scottish league are going to be youngsters who they hope will improve or players near the end of their careers. They can't pay anything like the wages/transfer fees of premier league teams or even the top teams in the championship. Any of their European players who play well and/or shows potential is going to be signed/tapped up by European clubs.

Realistically the days of competing in the champions league are gone and just qualifying for the group stages will be an achievement in future

Qualifying for the group stages is already an achievement for Celtic as it's hard enough when you have 4 qualifying rounds to go through. The europa league is a better level for celtic even though it means less money and glamour. It means we should be able to compete but it's not a given that we will even qualify for it.

reddgnhand

Quote from: lenny on August 14, 2019, 05:47:56 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 14, 2019, 03:24:23 PM

Qualifying for the group stages is already an achievement for Celtic as it's hard enough when you have 4 qualifying rounds to go through. The europa league is a better level for celtic even though it means less money and glamour. It means we should be able to compete but it's not a given that we will even qualify for it.

But ye have to give yourself a chance. McGregor at LB whilst Lennon had over £10 million buys on the bench? I'm still shaking my head at that decision. What is £10 million to a Scottish club compared to a EPL club £100 million?? Lennon did say recently that the club had a contingency plan if Tierney left surely to god that plan wasnt to play McGregor at LB?

podge

The reality is that this latest failure is a joint shambolic effort between The Board and Lennon.  I'd love to know what their strategy/ ambition is.

Lennon should never have been reappointed but leaving that aside, where has the 10's of millions that has been generated by the sale of the likes of Tierney, VvD (plus share of sell on to Liverpool by Southampton), Dembele, Armstrong etc actually gone? We must be one of the few teams on the planet with cash on the balance sheet and no debt! As a commercial enterprise/ listed entity it's embarrassing the return they are generating from the fan base and cash reserves they have.

I appreciate they are in a difficult position on one level due to the continual demise of the Scottish league but I think they should be investing much more in the team and the management such that they absolutely streak home domestically (margins for error reducing all the time) and more importantly securing champions league football each year. I don't expect them to qualify out of group stages but with the financial resources at hand they should get there.

FFS Sevco are now competing with them from a financial position that is close to the point of administration

straightred

Quote from: podge on August 14, 2019, 07:20:19 PM
The reality is that this latest failure is a joint shambolic effort between The Board and Lennon.  I'd love to know what their strategy/ ambition is.

Lennon should never have been reappointed but leaving that aside, where has the 10's of millions that has been generated by the sale of the likes of Tierney, VvD (plus share of sell on to Liverpool by Southampton), Dembele, Armstrong etc actually gone? We must be one of the few teams on the planet with cash on the balance sheet and no debt! As a commercial enterprise/ listed entity it's embarrassing the return they are generating from the fan base and cash reserves they have.

I appreciate they are in a difficult position on one level due to the continual demise of the Scottish league but I think they should be investing much more in the team and the management such that they absolutely streak home domestically (margins for error reducing all the time) and more importantly securing champions league football each year. I don't expect them to qualify out of group stages but with the financial resources at hand they should get there.

FFS Sevco are now competing with them from a financial position that is close to the point of administration
I don't really mind missing the CL as I dont think they would be competitive there anyway. Picking up the money, finishing 3rd in the group and dropping in the EL would have been ideal but thats gone now.

The board knew for months that Rodgers wouldn't last the season but they didn't prepare. Lennon, to his credit stepped up and got the treble over the line. Having done that they had to give him the job and now the chickens are coming home to roost. He spent 10 million on 2 players (his players) and didnt play them yesterday. We can't blame the board for that. We now expect the board to give him more money. How do we know he wont squander another 10m. He's out of his depth and my preference would be to release him right now before its too late. Harsh I know but he is out of his depth and that's not going to change.

The tribute act are being propped up by loans. That can't go on forever but they smell blood now and that will be enough to keep the money flowing for another while

tyroneman

A massive question remains - how much influence did / does Lennon have over signings?

If he had nothing to do with a 10m CH and a 3m LB being bought and just doesn't rate them to the extent he felt he needed to play our best CM at LB to secure CL passage, then it was a ballsy move to drop both but (almost) understandable.

If he was a key sign off in thier recruitment then it's unfathomable how both didn't start (other than injury)

illdecide

Quote from: tyroneman on August 15, 2019, 09:31:01 AM
A massive question remains - how much influence did / does Lennon have over signings?

If he had nothing to do with a 10m CH and a 3m LB being bought and just doesn't rate them to the extent he felt he needed to play our best CM at LB to secure CL passage, then it was a ballsy move to drop both but (almost) understandable.

If he was a key sign off in thier recruitment then it's unfathomable how both didn't start (other than injury)

Was going to post something similar...think the posters on here have to get real and see who really is calling the shots at CP. Lennon no doubt had a mare the other night and no one can defend that but there's more to this than meets the eye...Is he not playing Lawell's players/signings? Does he really not know what he's doing? Rogers didn't know about some of the signings if you remember back...

I dunno myself TBH but what i do know is Tue night was unacceptable, we are not a big club in Europe anymore but we are still miles ahead of the teams that are beating us every year to qualification in both revenue and club size/fan base...So WTF
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

Signings or signing policy had little to do with that defeat. A current Celtic team should beat Cluj in the 2nd leg at home 99/100. After a decent start to the season, Lennon threw it all away last night.

general

Scott Bain now ruled out for 2 months - He isnt a goalkeeper I rate very highly anyway. Craig Gordon is crocked.

Could Frazier Forster return?

reddgnhand

Quote from: general on August 16, 2019, 08:58:48 AM
Scott Bain now ruled out for 2 months - He isnt a goalkeeper I rate very highly anyway. Craig Gordon is crocked.

Celtic have C McGregor they could throw him into nets ffs.

trailer

Quote from: reddgnhand on August 17, 2019, 09:00:09 AM
Quote from: general on August 16, 2019, 08:58:48 AM

Celtic have C McGregor they could throw him into nets ffs.

Lennon could do nets himself for all the difference it would make.

under the bar

Is the Dunfermline game on any streams?

reddgnhand

Main Street

Ex celt Teemu Pukki has adapted  well to the epl with Norwich. I watched bits of him post Celtic with Finland and his club and thought he looked very good, pity he didn't fully adjust to Celtic and the spl.