NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: illdecide on October 22, 2020, 10:46:28 AM
There are so many permutations for Sat's games...

Armagh win they go up unless Westmeath win by a cricket score
If Clare beat Armagh and Kildare beat Westmeath, Kildare could go up providing Cavan don't rack up a big score against a weakened Roscommon team
If Clare hammer Armagh and Kildare only win by a point or two if Cavan draw with Rossies then Clare could get promoted this is mad...

relegation...Fermanagh are down so leaves a simple one (I think) If Laois lose they're relegated.
If Laois win and Armegh beat Clare then Clare will be relegated but that will depend on Cavan not getting a heavy defeat to Roscommon or Kildare getting a hammering.

What a division :o

I'm not sure that a team has ever been relegated on 7 points, but I think could happen on Saturday if Cavan, Clare and Kildare all win against Roscommon, Armagh and Westmeath, and Laois beat Fermanagh.  One of those teams would end up relegated on score difference.  The score difference is pretty serious.  Armagh I think on +22, Westmeath 0, Laois -16. So Laois in a very precarious position and it's out of their hands. 

Tell me if I'm wrong on this, but if Laois wallop Fermanagh by 10 and if WM lost by 6 or more, WM would go down on score difference.  Again, am I right in thinking it's technically possible for Armagh to go down, if Laois won by about 17pts and Westmeath were beaten by a point and Armagh were beaten by about 24pts?

If Fermanagh choose not to field, Laois are gone, if Kildare and Clare win, as Laois has no opportunity to improve on their score difference against Westmeath or Armagh.

Anyway, given the nature of these fixtures, the unpredictably and the openness and scoring exploits from last weekend, you just wouldn't know what would happen.

So technically, on the last day only Roscommon are safe and only Fermanagh is relegated. No teams are promoted and Laois is the only team apart from Fermanagh that cannot be promoted. The 5 other teams can be both promoted and relegated depending on results and score difference. 

macdanger2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 22, 2020, 10:50:20 AM
What will Donegal do heading to Kerry? Surely the players won't take their own cars? They'd be knackered.

It's a right pain in the hole for Donegal, making that trek a week before championship when there's almost nothing (bar a very very slim chance of topping the table) to play for. Sitting into a car for 5 hours after playing a match won't be great for recovery so I presume they'll stay over somewhere?

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 22, 2020, 12:13:29 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 22, 2020, 10:50:20 AM
What will Donegal do heading to Kerry? Surely the players won't take their own cars? They'd be knackered.

It's a right pain in the hole for Donegal, making that trek a week before championship when there's almost nothing (bar a very very slim chance of topping the table) to play for. Sitting into a car for 5 hours after playing a match won't be great for recovery so I presume they'll stay over somewhere?

Pretty much all hotels are closed so I doubt they would even be able to find any place to stay.
I have heard of one hotel that was open at Level 3 that was putting up a small number of healthcare workers that were working nearby.
Don't know if it's still open after the move to Level 5.

BennyCake

Surely moves should have been made to play the Kerry v Donegal game at a neutral venue? Somewhere like Limerick Salthill.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on October 22, 2020, 05:00:24 PM
Surely moves should have been made to play the Kerry v Donegal game at a neutral venue? Somewhere like Limerick Salthill.

A number of counties asked for neutral venues but HQ turned it down.

Rossfan

Rejected a few weeks ago by HQ as it would undermine the integrity if the League.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2020, 05:22:51 PM
Rejected a few weeks ago by HQ as it would undermine the integrity if the League.

Feck sake like. The bigger picture and all that.

With no fans allowed anyway, does it really matter? Stupid decision

five points

Quote from: BennyCake on October 22, 2020, 05:55:37 PM

Feck sake like. The bigger picture and all that.

With no fans allowed anyway, does it really matter? Stupid decision

The league lacked integrity from the day it was abandoned in March. The only reason it's being played at all is to save Cork from another year in Division 3.

Captain Obvious

Will probably be changes to this team before throw in again.

balladmaker

Stefan Campbell seemed to have a heavy limp after the Roscommon game, hopefully he's fit for Saturday.

naka

Total fk up when Antrim have to play Waterford in Dundalk.
The league is a mess

smelmoth

We always do this. The team that actually start then becomes the team that gets name but does start the next game. I think it Geezer's tribute to Gerald Wiley.

Fully expect a win in this one.

smelmoth

Quote from: naka on October 23, 2020, 04:18:49 PM
The league is a mess
This 2020 league is in a precarious state. Same applies to the championship. Not sure that is anyone's fault. The neutral venues issue is however someone's fault. That needs to be reconsidered if bus journeys become unviable

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

cavan and Roscommon contrive to a mutually beneficial draw.#
laois hammer Fermanagh by 15 points, the nordies having thrown in the towel before the start.
Kildare scramble a win against Westmeath.
Armagh outclass the limited Clare opponents.

the two diddy teams Fermanagh and clare get relegated.
in 2021 division 2 will be a bloodbath and horrid division with cork, down meath and one other in the stew.

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on October 23, 2020, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: naka on October 23, 2020, 04:18:49 PM
The league is a mess
They don't have to. They are choosing to.

Makes sense.