NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: skeog on October 07, 2020, 09:39:07 PM
At this rate Fr Darcy be pulled into the panel.

And Big Jim McDonald. He'd make a handy goalkeeper, so he would.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2020, 11:44:29 AM

Forget about 2020 Championship.

There are €17.5 million reasons why the GAA won't do this.

I fear it could end in farce too.
Fermanagh can't play Clare and forfeit the game. Then Fermanagh will be relegated.
But they can't be so the game will have to be refixed before any 2021 League.
Meanwhile neither Donegal, Derry or Tyrone can field in Ulster.....
Then Dublin can't field in a Leinster semi final so the forfeit rule will have to be changed. But 5 Countues may have had to forfeit at that stage.

Or it could all run smoothly ......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

I just don't see how a Championship is feasible without crowds.

Why are the GAA so intent on running this off?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

An Watcher

It should have been called off months ago instead of players training away all year and possibly for nothing. On a side note if I hear one more time that it's an open draw this year I'll scream. An open draw to me is everyone in the hat and take it from there. This is anything but

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Angelo on October 10, 2020, 01:44:08 PM

Probably looked at the fact that other sports are going ahead with their competitions with no crowds. It was clear months ago that GAA HQ weren't that intent, since then the majority of players seem keen to play it and the Government gave the GAA money to somewhat cover the loss of no crowds plus they should get some more money from their match day streaming service.

Common sense needs to used if Fermanagh can't field next weekend. They should be allowed to play their game against Clare at a later date, the integrity of this competition will be out the window if not.

marty34

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 10, 2020, 04:06:22 PM

Probably looked at the fact that other sports are going ahead with their competitions with no crowds. It was clear months ago that GAA HQ weren't that intent, since then the majority of players seem keen to play it and the Government gave the GAA money to somewhat cover the loss of no crowds plus they should get some more money from their match day streaming service.

Common sense needs to used if Fermanagh can't field next weekend. They should be allowed to play their game against Clare at a later date, the integrity of this competition will be out the window if not.

Problem is if this case arises in other counties, what happens?

By that reckoning, it'll never get played.

Smokin Joe

If they postpone the Fermanagh game then they'd be safer just scrapping the whole thing.
So on that basis I'd guess Fermanagh will be made field; there's just no room for games being called off or you end up like the Armagh club leagues.

Itchy

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 10, 2020, 06:26:13 PM
If they postpone the Fermanagh game then they'd be safer just scrapping the whole thing.
So on that basis I'd guess Fermanagh will be made field; there's just no room for games being called off or you end up like the Armagh club leagues.

I'm pretty sure if Fermanagh cant or wont play they will just be giving the points to their opposition. The GAA have said that is what will happen I think. I am sure they will be very consistent on this message until Kerry or Dublin cannot field at which point the championship will be abandoned.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on October 10, 2020, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 10, 2020, 06:26:13 PM

I'm pretty sure if Fermanagh cant or wont play they will just be giving the points to their opposition. The GAA have said that is what will happen I think. I am sure they will be very consistent on this message until Kerry or Dublin cannot field at which point the championship will be abandoned.

The point is that the likes of Dublin will always be able to field, there will always be 15 players without disease in Dublin, and Kerry isn't far behind. They may not like fielding without certain players, but they should not be indulged in that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bannside

Exactly. Any county should be able to tutn up with a panel of 24 players who are not Covid positive.

Any county using that excuse for not fulfilling a fixture should be deducted 2 points at the start of next years league...or some other meaningful deterrent. Imo.

Angelo

Are the players that keen though?

I doubt it, plenty of retirements in the last month or so, lots of players pulling out according to reports and others who are still involved going on record saying they'd rather it didn't go ahead this year.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

FermGael

Quote from: bannside on October 10, 2020, 07:05:15 PM
Exactly. Any county should be able to tutn up with a panel of 24 players who are not Covid positive.

Any county using that excuse for not fulfilling a fixture should be deducted 2 points at the start of next years league...or some other meaningful deterrent. Imo.

In the current climate ?
You reckon Antrim could round up 24 lads to head to Clare if they had all but 11 of their players available to train?
3 hour journey to Clare to get beat and come straight back up the road with no shower ?

As for taking points of teams for not fielding in the current climate wise up.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

armaghniac

Dromintee know what to do when fielding is required.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on October 10, 2020, 07:17:36 PM

Are the players that keen though?

I doubt it, plenty of retirements in the last month or so, lots of players pulling out according to reports and others who are still involved going on record saying they'd rather it didn't go ahead this year.

Have you got a link to those reports of lots of players pulling out? In normal circumstances many counties have to deal with plenty of opt outs with players choosing to go travelling than representing their county team.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

balladmaker

Armagh v Roscommon live on RTE next Saturday evening from the Athletic Grounds.  What's the current situation in both panels ... I know Armagh suspended collective training last week ... how's things with Roscommon?