NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I'd say you could nearly toss a coin for these games. No county will be properly prepared. In the case of Cavan (and Monaghan in Div1), important league game on 18th, important league game on 25th and then next weekend Ulster Preliminary round with no back door. And to prepare for this they have what 3 weeks plus the players from Kingscourt and Crosserlough not available as our County Board wouldn't allow extra time. I don't know how any manager could prepare for this eventuality which is surely the worse hand any county has at the moment.

FermGael

Fermanagh have been fixed to play Clare in Ennis at 1 p.m on a Sunday.

Assuming that they can't get a coach down to the match and that they can't stay over night
Now that's quite the drive to play a game at 1.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

five points

The league should have been abandoned in March. Farcical to try and finish them now with teams and probably entire counties under all sorts of travel restrictions.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on September 29, 2020, 11:57:19 AM
The league should have been abandoned in March. Farcical to try and finish them now with teams and probably entire counties under all sorts of travel restrictions.

It makes more sense to conclude the league than start the Championship.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

five points

Hardly. Teams played the first 5 rounds at full throttle in normal competitive conditions. The last 2 rounds will be played after a delay of 7 months with promotion and relegation at stake for some teams who are forbidden from making anything even approaching normal preparations.  There are likely to be some freak scorelines in the last 2 rounds that would be impossible in a normal competitive league.

Taylor

Quote from: five points on September 29, 2020, 12:14:56 PM
Hardly. Teams played the first 5 rounds at full throttle in normal competitive conditions. The last 2 rounds will be played after a delay of 7 months with promotion and relegation at stake for some teams who are forbidden from making anything even approaching normal preparations.  There are likely to be some freak scorelines in the last 2 rounds that would be impossible in a normal competitive league.

If anything it should level the playing field a bit more if preparation is similar for most teams

Rossfan

I had nearly forgotten this still exists. God be with the days when your ve getting excited about the 1st NFL game of  the year.
Armagh v Ros is on RTÉ while I expect the Cavan game will be on some on line thingy.
I don't expect to be at either game in person and not gone on the idea of supporting a team on a screen.
Its like having a favourite team in Aus Rules or other faraway sports.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Itchy, out of interest how many of the Kingscourt and Crosserlough players are starters or subs for Cavan?

Agree with Angelo and its best to first finish one competition before starting another having the possibility of two unfinished competitions. Players should be fitter and sharper than they were in the spring with a full set of club championships fixtures under their belts, the only pity is little or no fans will be attendance for these matches next month.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

APM

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 29, 2020, 01:20:05 PM
Itchy, out of interest how many of the Kingscourt and Crosserlough players are starters or subs for Cavan?

Agree with Angelo and its best to first finish one competition before starting another having the possibility of two unfinished competitions. Players should be fitter and sharper than they were in the spring with a full set of club championships fixtures under their belts, the only pity is little or no fans will be attendance for these matches next month.

Completely - Just a bizarre view. 

BennyCake

Quote from: FermGael on September 29, 2020, 11:54:33 AM
Fermanagh have been fixed to play Clare in Ennis at 1 p.m on a Sunday.

Assuming that they can't get a coach down to the match and that they can't stay over night
Now that's quite the drive to play a game at 1.

Fixtures between teams with this sort of distance between them should be neutral venues then.

Itchy

Its a bit hard to say regarding starters or subs but Kingscourt only have Padraig Faulkner on the panel although who knows if some others would be invited in.
Crosserlough have James Smith, Stephen Smith and Pierce Smith. Conor Rehill was in last year but didnt feature in league last year so hard to know and Dara McVitty would obviously be in Cavan panel but he is away travelling.

I dont really know who is in or not in the panel at the moment!

twohands!!!

Quote from: APM on September 29, 2020, 01:34:20 PM

Completely - Just a bizarre view.

If the league wasn't being finished it would be a case of intercounty teams going into the championship pretty much cold.

Club games are hardly ideal preparation for the first round of championship when compared to two league games - plus there's the fact that a fair chunk of some county players would be on teams that were knocked out of the county championship in the first round so wouldn't have any game in a few weeks.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 01:03:17 PM
I had nearly forgotten this still exists. God be with the days when your ve getting excited about the 1st NFL game of  the year.
Armagh v Ros is on RTÉ while I expect the Cavan game will be on some on line thingy.
I don't expect to be at either game in person and not gone on the idea of supporting a team on a screen.
Its like having a favourite team in Aus Rules or other faraway sports.

I'm the same. I can't roar or shout at the tv whenever I can't make games. And I do want to, but shouting "look up" at the screen seems silly, even though I know none of the players ever hear me at a match either, if ya know what I mean.  ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

illdecide

Jasus I shout at the TV all the time...I know it doesn't make sense and the only people that can hear me are the wife and kids calling me an idiot but I can't help myself. Armagh are back training and as someone stated the players will have had a decent few club games over the summer and it shouldn't take the players too long to get back into County mode, I'd say it'll be easier to get fit now that it would be in January especially knowing your two matches away from knockout Championship and I reckon all teams in all divisions have either promotion or relegation to play for. Maybe with one game to go some teams might already know their fate.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Itchy

Quote from: illdecide on September 30, 2020, 11:09:24 AM
Jasus I shout at the TV all the time...I know it doesn't make sense and the only people that can hear me are the wife and kids calling me an idiot but I can't help myself. Armagh are back training and as someone stated the players will have had a decent few club games over the summer and it shouldn't take the players too long to get back into County mode, I'd say it'll be easier to get fit now that it would be in January especially knowing your two matches away from knockout Championship and I reckon all teams in all divisions have either promotion or relegation to play for. Maybe with one game to go some teams might already know their fate.

I have to be on my own with the TV due to fits of anger and joy exploding out of me.