Underage hurling tournaments

Started by manfromdelmonte, May 17, 2015, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Helix on September 03, 2015, 05:04:32 PM
Quote from: Podge72 on September 03, 2015, 01:06:23 PM
Good Post

there should be a target of getting another 2/3 underage teams set up and getting another underage set up into portlaoise,similar to what they have in thurles.

The U12's have been very competitive in the KK league with Abbeyleix winning it,that makes a huge difference as there seems to a belief in Laois that kk hurlers are a master race,which needs to dispelled at a young age

Kudos also to Abbeyleix who ran an u8 blitz last Saturday taking in the likes of Ballyhale and Kilcormac,from an outsider looking in they seem to being going about their underage business in the right way

Send them out to Clonad if you want a club outside of Portlaoise. Underage set up getting there with the town. Just over 2miles from pitch in Rathleague.

Agree with abbeyleix work is brilliant to watch. schools hurling in abbeyleix seems o be reaching division 1 finals every year!

Any particular ingredient(s) to their success which stands out Helix?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Podge72

Helix,is Clonad not in with Ratheniska and the Heath for underage hurling?

Would an amalgamation of those clubs under one hurling set up promote and develop  hurling in that area and act as a 2nd senior team in the Portlaoise area?.

Helix

Clonad have unofficial agreement with Heath that if you hurl with Clonad you generally play with the Heath and vice versa. Ratheniska hurl with Clonad from u12 to u21s to be competitive as both clubs wouldn't be able to field a team on their own through 14-16s onwards. There's about 80-90 Clonad juveniles on their own from 6-12s which is great considering there's no exact primary school in Clonad area!
Clonad have top class facilities, all we need is top class players! :D
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Podge72

Those are impressive numbers from 6 to 12 Helix.

Keep them at it and you won't have any need for any amalgamations

blueandwhite1

Fair enough merman - thank you for giving me hope. I was honestly sick of despairing at the hammerings and particularly at U14 when there should not be such a huge gap. Perhaps my own club has a lot to learn from the others and I was generalizing. I do think that we need keep asking the hard questions of ourselves when we get these beatings though. I would love to see some data about the quality and quantity of training that we provide at underage across all our clubs, schools and development squads and compare it to KK.