NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

@David McKeown

I know what you're getting at, but as it currently stands, all too often when referees get proactive help from their linesmen and umpires, it tends to involve big decisions that change games (usually, off the ball striking or wrestling). Which would be okay except same linesmen and umpires will accidentally and sometimes knowingly avoid bringing other similar incidents to the ref's attention. So instead of getting one inconsistent interpretation of the action, we get 7 of them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on February 06, 2023, 08:06:52 AM
@David McKeown

I know what you're getting at, but as it currently stands, all too often when referees get proactive help from their linesmen and umpires, it tends to involve big decisions that change games (usually, off the ball striking or wrestling). Which would be okay except same linesmen and umpires will accidentally and sometimes knowingly avoid bringing other similar incidents to the ref's attention. So instead of getting one inconsistent interpretation of the action, we get 7 of them.

A possible solution is to give the linesmen (who unlike the soccer lads, are all proper ref's) the chance to 'wave' a fleg to call a foul, we can help after an incident but unable to call it live, if ya know what I mean...

They are dong this as a 'pastime' it's not a full paying job, anyone that says he gets paid is a twat, just laying that out there early on as I'm bored of hearing that one, the expenses to cover food and fuel and picking up 4 umpires and driving them at early doors to go to a game doesn't cover the shit that you get.

So they either making it professional and the referees can leave their jobs and put all their effort into it, would need to be a decent set up and pay for a lot of them to leave and do it properly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2023, 08:52:10 AM
@David McKeown

A possible solution is to give the linesmen (who unlike the soccer lads, are all proper ref's) the chance to 'wave' a fleg to call a foul, we can help after an incident but unable to call it live, if ya know what I mean...

They are dong this as a 'pastime' it's not a full paying job, anyone that says he gets paid is a twat, just laying that out there early on as I'm bored of hearing that one, the expenses to cover food and fuel and picking up 4 umpires and driving them at early doors to go to a game doesn't cover the shit that you get.

So they either making it professional and the referees can leave their jobs and put all their effort into it, would need to be a decent set up and pay for a lot of them to leave and do it properly

I think my point is that currently I don't think officiating is up to the standards of the rest of the games. I refuse to believe that's because there are no good refs out there. So I think something has to change to be able to support them. I can't think of a sport where so little assistance is given in real time to a referee who has to cover so much ground and has as many points of potential offence as GAA has.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

imtommygunn

Yep I would strongly agree on this and that's not a slight on refs MR before you go mad again  ;D

The speed of our games and the amount of stuff that goes on - it is barely possible for one person to keep track of it.

Not viable at lower levels but how much money is in the top level of the game - something could be done.

thewobbler

Quote from: David McKeown on February 06, 2023, 09:19:32 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2023, 08:52:10 AM
@David McKeown

I think my point is that currently I don't think officiating is up to the standards of the rest of the games. I refuse to believe that's because there are no good refs out there. So I think something has to change to be able to support them. I can't think of a sport where so little assistance is given in real time to a referee who has to cover so much ground and has as many points of potential offence as GAA has.

I agree on the standard on officiating but I don't think it's a lack of support, so much as it being a nigh-on impossible task. Fixing it I think requires direction and determination in a few areas:

1. Most referees try to not in inhibit attacking play, which means that most referees allow attackers 6, 7, 8 steps. Which makes clean, skilled defending an almost impossible task, and inevitably leads to frustration, packed defence and foul-ridden games. This should be such an easy fix for everyone in the association. But it seems as through just referees just like watching scores, regardless of their legitimatacy.

2. Ireland (especially the wee 6) has a national obsession with whataboutery. Pundits, spectators, managers and players are perennially feasting on whataboutery. They don't care for rules. They don't care for consistency. They just care that some perceived wrongdoings (even as far back  as 20 years ago) are corrected, in the form of an opposing team suffering an equal of worse injustice. This is a national psyche problem so is borderline impossible to fix. But watching referees bow to this influence and "evening up" their decisions is almost as common as watching referees.

3. I often despair at how how referees change behaviour / style when in the final 10 minutes of a close game. Up to that point, the black card doesn't exist. Up to that point, frees are hard to come by. The exact level of stoppage time is determined by an equation which is: 1-point game: unlimited, 2-point game: the original specified amount, 3-point game: the time taken for the losing team to form 3 attacks, 4-point or more game, blow up a little early unless there's clear intent from the losing team. They often seem to will a draw, as the fairest result.

Maroon Manc

Like most of the Galway posters we knew we were in for a tough start although could easily have 4 points but the lack of collective training has come back to bite as we feared. 

Galway aren't serious challengers for an All Ireland without Comer, hoping its not as bad as it looks but rarely is. Not heard anything on Finnerty since the Mayo game but given games are practically every week I doubt he'll play much part in the league and the same goes for Culhane.  Just read Joyce said after the match Finnerty will be out for between 4-6 weeks.

Could well be one of those years, going into the season without Silke & Molloy was bad enough but add in all those injuries to the scoring forwards its to keep positive.

Lets hope others stand up.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 06, 2023, 10:05:44 AM
Like most of the Galway posters we knew we were in for a tough start although could easily have 4 points but the lack of collective training has come back to bite as we feared. 

Galway aren't serious challengers for an All Ireland without Comer, hoping its not as bad as it looks but rarely is. Not heard anything on Finnerty since the Mayo game but given games are practically every week I doubt he'll play much part in the league and the same goes for Culhane.  Just read Joyce said after the match Finnerty will be out for between 4-6 weeks.

Could well be one of those years, going into the season without Silke & Molloy was bad enough but add in all those injuries to the scoring forwards its to keep positive.

The squeezed calendar is not kind to  teams with injured players.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

Never boring watching Armagh or Mayo anyway. Great game and great to genuinely be able to compete with the big teams again. That early score was 100% over but given wide, joke of a call and hope it doesnt end up costing us later! Rossies with 2 big wins so will be a tough place to go, fair play to them as plenty tipped them from the drop.

Referee yesterday was absolutely abysmal for both teams. Far far too soft, players going down after any contact and it was a free. Who tf wants to see that

fearsiuil

Quote from: ONeill on February 05, 2023, 10:50:27 PM
D'y'ever see Rian O'Neill's frees?

He makes the ref think he's going to run back towards the point of the free, with his back turned to the goals. Then when he goes to move, he simply turns and faces the goal and makes up a couple of more yards before striking. I'd say he makes 5 yards every time. Hurson fell for it every time last week. Same again this week.

Armagh should be deducted points.

He's some boy for clocking up sly fouls as well, even got time to lower his knees gently in to the Mayo physio when Carr was taken out of it on the sideline 1st half.

pbat

I said yesterday that if we got back to a one point game it was obvious Kelly would give us a free in. Delighted we got it but never a free in a million years.

It nearly felt too big of a game/occasion for Kelly yesterday.

trailer

Armagh V Mayo. Wow. Where to start?

From 6 up with 6 to go Mayo do a Mayo and fail to win. Nobody wanted the ball from the kick outs when they really needed someone to stand up. Then once they did break the cover and a simple point was on offer, did they take it?.... No. No they engaged full Mayo mode and took a crazy shot. There is something wrong with this group. Failure to make the correct decisions under pressure has cost them umpteen times. I see no change in that loser or losing mentality.

From the Bunker

Quote from: trailer on February 06, 2023, 12:24:50 PM
Armagh V Mayo. Wow. Where to start?

From 6 up with 6 to go Mayo do a Mayo and fail to win. Nobody wanted the ball from the kick outs when they really needed someone to stand up. Then once they did break the cover and a simple point was on offer, did they take it?.... No. No they engaged full Mayo mode and took a crazy shot. There is something wrong with this group. Failure to make the correct decisions under pressure has cost them umpteen times. I see no change in that loser or losing mentality.

Tell me of the umpteen times? I can think of one - the AI final v Tyrone 2021. Looking forward to the others.

Mario

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 06, 2023, 10:46:06 AM
Never boring watching Armagh or Mayo anyway. Great game and great to genuinely be able to compete with the big teams again. That early score was 100% over but given wide, joke of a call and hope it doesnt end up costing us later! Rossies with 2 big wins so will be a tough place to go, fair play to them as plenty tipped them from the drop.

Referee yesterday was absolutely abysmal for both teams. Far far too soft, players going down after any contact and it was a free. Who tf wants to see that
As a neutral, he definitely favoured Armagh.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 06, 2023, 10:05:44 AM

The league and championship have been shoehorned into a smaller time space with more games. There are going to be lots of injuries and it will benefit the stronger panels.
https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1619816562419974144
Pressure on players . No down time

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1619815477336834050&t=84s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

There was soft frees galore during the match, that was no certainly no free at the end. Ryan O'Donoghue certainly knows how to win a free, its bad enough that he's small enough without him ducking into challenges.