NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2023, 05:10:18 PM
What a joke of a free to give Armagh the draw.

Mayo self destructed although injury time as well

He tackled ONeill round the waist. Was a free all day

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2023, 06:19:08 PM
Armagh have played 20 minutes football over 2 games and have 3 points on the board so that is a positive, McCabe is available after suspension for the next game and hopefully some injuries will clear up soon. Ross McQuillan surely deserves a start? What does Hall offer - I just can't understand how he continually gets a starting spot.

17-17 sounds like a great game but I thought it was Shite bar the last 10 minutes tbh (& freezing). Made no use of a significant breeze in the 1st half at all, very little direct ball played in - the wind totally died away in the 2nd half too so Mayo didn't have that advantage. I dunno who I would have given MOTM to, probably Ethan Rafferty, he made a few mistakes but he's got a big set of balls and never shys away from it. Turbitt is a top quality player, looks like a bit of a lazy sod sometimes but there's gold in them boots.

Edit - the ref was terrible, blew every tiny bit of contact, just awful.

So the ref was consistent in calling frees? So no benefit to either team at least players know then what they can do and not do
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2023, 09:08:44 PM
Armagh have played 20 minutes football over 2 games and have 3 points on the board so that is a positive, McCabe is available after suspension for the next game and hopefully some injuries will clear up soon. Ross McQuillan surely deserves a start? What does Hall offer - I just can't understand how he continually gets a starting spot.

17-17 sounds like a great game but I thought it was Shite bar the last 10 minutes tbh (& freezing). Made no use of a significant breeze in the 1st half at all, very little direct ball played in - the wind totally died away in the 2nd half too so Mayo didn't have that advantage. I dunno who I would have given MOTM to, probably Ethan Rafferty, he made a few mistakes but he's got a big set of balls and never shys away from it. Turbitt is a top quality player, looks like a bit of a lazy sod sometimes but there's gold in them boots.

So the ref was consistent in calling frees? So no benefit to either team at least players know then what they can do and not do

I remember discussing this with a couple of inter county footballers years ago and being told players don't want consistency from a referee. They want the correct decision and a sensible approach.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Quote from: David McKeown on February 05, 2023, 09:39:25 PM

I remember discussing this with a couple of inter county footballers years ago and being told players don't want consistency from a referee. They want the correct decision and a sensible approach.

Watch few minutes of the Armagh game today, there was a blatant free for Mayo, yet the Armagh lads complained like the ref was a 'cheat'.. here's the thing about players, they never foul any tackles they do are within the rules and the ref has it in for them... you couldn't please them if ya tried.

So the moral of the story is this, players want every call going their way regardless
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

On the ref I'd say he gave them a few soft frees and denied us some blatant frees. Mayo woukd say the same - the opposite way obviously. Say what you want about the decisions he made or didn't make but he was consistent in them

bennydorano

Beat me to it, what good is consistency if you're just a bad ref. I don't think you could teach what Pat McEneaney brought to the reffing game, a lot of appeared inate, but no doubt he got better with experience.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2023, 09:47:58 PM

Beat me to it, what good is consistency if you're just a bad ref. I don't think you could teach what Pat McEneaney brought to the reffing game, a lot of appeared inate, but no doubt he got better with experience.

I could say that I was at a match that Pat did and thought he was awful, plain awful and gave the 'home' team everything. And we lost because of his actions. It's all about opinions really.

Tubberman

Athletic grounds is a great place for a game. Full house or near enough, and very sound Armagh crowd. There was good craic, probably helped because both teams had their patches and nobody lost!
Thought it was a soft free at the end, but that was some roar when it went over.
Both teams have to stop fading out of games, but when they were on top, they looked v good.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

jmk

Quote from: Tubberman on February 05, 2023, 10:24:45 PM
Athletic grounds is a great place for a game. Full house or near enough, and very sound Armagh crowd. There was good craic, probably helped because both teams had their patches and nobody lost!
Thought it was a soft free at the end, but that was some roar when it went over.
Both teams have to stop fading out of games, but when they were on top, they looked v good.
[/quote

Last free was perhaps a little soft but he gave a very similar one to Mayo which put them  16-11 up. Both had 2 arns round the man but with no real force.

tyrone08

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2023, 09:02:19 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2023, 05:10:18 PM
What a joke of a free to give Armagh the draw.

Mayo self destructed although injury time as well

He tackled ONeill round the waist. Was a free all day
Just watched it there now. No way tackle around the waist. He had his arm out and o'neill jumped straight into it, smart move however even the commentators said soft free

ONeill

D'y'ever see Rian O'Neill's frees?

He makes the ref think he's going to run back towards the point of the free, with his back turned to the goals. Then when he goes to move, he simply turns and faces the goal and makes up a couple of more yards before striking. I'd say he makes 5 yards every time. Hurson fell for it every time last week. Same again this week.

Armagh should be deducted points.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Is there an appeals process? CCCC will act fast

JoG2

Quote from: Tubberman on February 05, 2023, 10:24:45 PM

Just watched the highlights there. Great battle played out in front of a huge crowd. The Athletic Grounds is as good a stadium in the country to watch a game of football.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

David McKeown

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 05, 2023, 09:50:53 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2023, 09:47:58 PM

I could say that I was at a match that Pat did and thought he was awful, plain awful and gave the 'home' team everything. And we lost because of his actions. It's all about opinions really.

Yeah I always thought he was overrated as a ref and favoured the bigger teams but as you say a matter of opinion. At IC level I still think refs need more help. Either in the form of more linesmen with more power or the provision of a second ref or dare I say it. A panel of professional referees. The game is too big, too fast and too professional in my opinion for a single amateur referee.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner