Geneology - DNA Ancestry Kit

Started by Orior, August 20, 2013, 09:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Did one of these a few months back and it's thrown up some interesting stuff. A strange one that i've discovered this morning is that an ancestor surname Coleman married to Munley moved from Mayo to the dungannon area presumably around 1820's and then to America. My fathers grandmother was Coleman so thats the connection. Not long before that folk were going from north Armagh South Tyrone areas to Connacht so was surprised to see this. Can any of our green and red friends tell me is Coleman a name in Mayo at all ?

fearsiuil

Quote from: maddog on January 17, 2020, 11:15:18 AM
Did one of these a few months back and it's thrown up some interesting stuff. A strange one that i've discovered this morning is that an ancestor surname Coleman married to Munley moved from Mayo to the dungannon area presumably around 1820's and then to America. My fathers grandmother was Coleman so thats the connection. Not long before that folk were going from north Armagh South Tyrone areas to Connacht so was surprised to see this. Can any of our green and red friends tell me is Coleman a name in Mayo at all ?
Plenty of Coleman's around mid Mayo. Munley sounds like the north Mayo Munnelly surnane slso.

maddog

Would that be sort of Castlebar area ?

guy crouchback

munnelly would be a common name around killala and out to erris/belmullet.
there are colemans in the foxford/ballina area as well.

Orior

Mine threw up a connection with Plunkett in Meath.

A smart alec in work said he could see a resemblance to the pickled head in Drogheda.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

RedHand88

Mine identified me as being 100% in the east tyrone/south Derry gene pool

There's £60 I'll never get back!  ;D

weareros

Quote from: fearsiuil on January 17, 2020, 11:26:11 AM
Quote from: maddog on January 17, 2020, 11:15:18 AM
Plenty of Coleman's around mid Mayo. Munley sounds like the north Mayo Munnelly surnane slso.

Coleman fairly popular in East Sligo/East Mayo/West Roscommon. The Sligo ones would be good musicians/artists.

fearsiuil

Quote from: maddog on January 17, 2020, 11:41:31 AM
Would that be sort of Castlebar area ?

Castlebar and surrounding area. Think it's in most areas of county.

marty34

Quote from: muppet on January 11, 2014, 04:02:46 PM
I did the Family Finder test with FTDNA.

I didn't have to resubmit anything as they just retested the sample I sent in last year.

They produced a list of up to 500 people and categorised them in ranges such as 2nd - 4th cousin, 5th - distant cousin etc.

Interestingly there are 2 people on the list who I have come across before and who were researching the same part of Mayo due to ancestors of theirs. We have not been able to say for sure that we were connected, but given that they sent their sample from their home cities in the States, and we sent in no family info, it is pretty impressive that we show up as distant cousins to each other.

I will keep working on it (I know I keep saying this: http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=22769.15) and if I learn anything useful (I'll prove O'Neill wrong yet!) I will pass it on.

In conclusion I would recommend the Family Finder test with FTDNA over any other, unless you are a Professor of Genetics.

Is this the best one? How much is it and how quick are the results?

I'd say this would be huge in America and Canada etc.  They are massive for family trees and tracing relatives etc.

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on January 17, 2020, 01:00:31 PM
Mine threw up a connection with Plunkett in Meath.

A smart alec in work said he could see a resemblance to the pickled head in Drogheda.

;D