Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 20, 2020, 11:07:55 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 10:52:12 AM
Its the first time I have mentioned it.

Its the reason UF are held in Clones and why Clones exists as it does.

No. And No.

Yes and whats your theory of how a town of 1,600 right on the border, thats the 4th biggest in the county ended up with a 36,000 ground?

Train station.
Nothing at all to do with VAT.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on February 20, 2020, 12:32:08 PM

No. And No.

Yes and whats your theory of how a town of 1,600 right on the border, thats the 4th biggest in the county ended up with a 36,000 ground?

Train station.

Belfast doesn't have one?

It closed in 1957.

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 12:41:50 PM

No. And No.

Train station.

It closed in 1957.

Clones you mean!

Big money was spent updating Clones in the 80's when a certain Mick Feeney was secretary.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 20, 2020, 12:47:17 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 12:41:50 PM

No. And No.

Train station.

It closed in 1957.

Clones you mean!

Big money was spent updating Clones in the 80's when a certain Mick Feeney was secretary.
He argued that Clones got UF's because its on a trainline. As opposed to Belfast, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newry, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim, Enniskillen etc. Talking gash that man.

There seem to be two questions here.

1. How did Clones get Ulster finals in 1909. Not a clue.

2. How did Clones keep them. Partition, the troubles, vat, internal politics are all factors.

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 12:53:02 PM
He argued that Clones got UF's because its on a trainline. As opposed to Belfast, Derry, Omagh, Strabane, Newry, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim, Enniskillen etc. Talking gash that man.

2. How did Clones keep them. Partition, the troubles, vat, internal politics are all factors.
[/quote]

Clones was the most important train junction in Ulster and so more suitable than Monaghan or Enniskillen as both those lines went to Clones.  Some of the other venues you mention are less central e.g. Derry and in others you would have been extremely lucky to get a GAA ground built in 1909. e.g. Antrim. And I the people in Clones worked to build their venue and showed an interest, which people in West Belfast do not.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on February 20, 2020, 02:16:37 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 20, 2020, 12:53:02 PM

Clones was the most important train junction in Ulster and so more suitable than Monaghan or Enniskillen as both those lines went to Clones.  Some of the other venues you mention are less central e.g. Derry and in others you would have been extremely lucky to get a GAA ground built in 1909. e.g. Antrim. And I the people in Clones worked to build their venue and showed an interest, which people in West Belfast do not.
[/quote]

I'd say Portadown was the most important railway junction in Ulster back then. Hardly the ideal place to build a big stadium then, and probably even now.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on February 20, 2020, 02:42:18 PM
I'd say Portadown was the most important railway junction in Ulster back then. Hardly the ideal place to build a big stadium then, and probably even now.

Exactly, only Tony Fearon would have went to games there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rosnarun

I think the big error in finance people are making is think that if a stadium is not built all that money would be available for other purposes ,
The stadium would be financed by The Government Crokepark and future Revenue from the stadium Via Loans  , which should come in many forms not just Matches,
it should not effect the daya to day Runnung cost of the GAA ata all.
P ui C maheve overspent but there is a class stadium there now and the argument can go on as long as Ir likes ,
whereas he arguments are going on and nothing to show for it in Belfast
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

RadioGAAGAA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51656736

£110m as expected.

F**king waste of money.

If anyone who'd have the ear of a minister is reading this - this gael doesn't want his tax wasted on it. I'm sure we could do a poll on here that would put the majority along with me.
i usse an speelchekor

fearsiuil

World be a much better place if everyone recycled as much as this story.

Evil Genius

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 27, 2020, 12:42:50 PM

£110m as expected.

F**king waste of money.

If anyone who'd have the ear of a minister is reading this - this gael doesn't want his tax wasted on it. I'm sure we could do a poll on here that would put the majority along with me.
An amateur SPAD suggests:
"But the minister said she could not confirm that her department would bid for an extra £33 million to complete the project as it has not yet passed through the planning process. that whether it passes the planning process or not, her department would NOT be bidding for an extra £33m to bail out the GAA for its own incompetence and hubris, especially at a time when hospitals and schools are crying out for public money"

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

johnnycool

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 27, 2020, 02:34:22 PM

£110m as expected.

F**king waste of money.

An amateur SPAD suggests:
"But the minister said she could not confirm that her department would bid for an extra £33 million to complete the project as it has not yet passed through the planning process. that whether it passes the planning process or not, her department would NOT be bidding for an extra £33m to bail out the GAA for its own incompetence and hubris, especially at a time when hospitals and schools are crying out for public money"

Time for Ulster GAA to build a stadium for the original budget allocated for it, which I think was £77M or not build it at all.

Where is the Ulster GAA Project leader Ryan Feeney now?

illdecide

£110m as expected.

F**king waste of money.

Well from your posts right from page 1 you've made it quite clear you don't want a new Casement (right from i don't want to f**king sit down to watch a match), we get it you don't want it built. I'm wondering if you go to Croke Pk do you always get a ticket for the Hill...lol as you don't want to sit down to watch a match.
I think if there was a public vote you'll find a vast majority will vote for it and i've no doubt it will be built (hopefully sooner rather than later)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: illdecide on February 27, 2020, 06:51:44 PM
Well from your posts right from page 1 you've made it quite clear you don't want a new Casement (right from i don't want to f**king sit down to watch a match),

we get it you don't want it built.

You obviously don't "get it".

I've consistently called for a suitably sized and appropriate stadium.

20k, one seated stand, one covered terrace. The Athletic grounds are a fine template that they should seek to copy.

No white elephant.
i usse an speelchekor

illdecide

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 27, 2020, 09:53:36 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 27, 2020, 06:51:44 PM
Well from your posts right from page 1 you've made it quite clear you don't want a new Casement (right from i don't want to f**king sit down to watch a match),

we get it you don't want it built.

You obviously don't "get it".

I've consistently called for a suitably sized and appropriate stadium.

20k, one seated stand, one covered terrace. The Athletic grounds are a fine template that they should seek to copy.

No white elephant.

I do get, I just disagree with you. We should get a 34,000 seating stadium that we (Ulster & Antrim Gaels) deserve. I know not everyone wants it and that's fair enough but as i stated above you'll find a poll would show a high demand for it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch