Scammers

Started by Eamonnca1, November 20, 2019, 07:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: Itchy on November 21, 2019, 11:16:37 AM
Quote from: t_mac on November 20, 2019, 08:47:01 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 20, 2019, 07:55:21 PM
Anyone getting phone calls from tech support scammers lately? I got one yesterday. I usually don't answer to obvious fake numbers, but it was a slow day at work so I thought I'd play along. He was an Indian lad working from a busy office by the sounds of it. Claimed to be working for AT&T. Talked me through some PC stuff (I have a Mac, so I had to do some googling as he talked to see what I was supposed to be seeing on my screen). After we got as far as the event viewer I couldn't think of a way of stringing him along any longer, so I just asked "Look, do you just want to skip to the part where I give you my social security number and credit card information?"
Him: "Did I ask you to do that?"
Me: "No, but you're going to eventually, aren't you?"
Him: "I'm calling from AT&T, not some random XYZ company..."
Me: "Yeah, right."
Him: "Look, motherf***er, if you don't want to take part in this call, you're free to hang up any time."
Me: "Why are you doing this? Can you not get a real job? There are plenty of honest jobs out there, you don't have to earn a living by robbing people."
Him: "... and don't you dare waste my time. I don't need advice from you, so stick your advice up your a$$hole..."
Me: "I think you need to calm down, go home and re-think your life." - click -

Funny how quickly they become abusive once they realise you're on to them. I got one a few days ago from an Indian lady.
Her: "Hi, I'm calling about your vehicle's warranty which is expiring soon and would like to offer you a chance to renew it."
Me: "Which vehicle?"
Her "Uhhh, your Ford."
Me: "Which Ford?"
Her: "uuuuuh, Escape."
Me: "Oh, okay." (We have a VW Jetta, but she doesn't need to know that.)
Her: "So would you like to renew your warranty?"
Me: "What about the warranty on our other cars?"
Her: "Uh ... uh ... uh ..."
Me: "Are they expiring soon too?"
Her: "Uh ..."
Me: "Come on, tell me about my other cars, since you seem to know so much about them"
Me: "What other cars have I got? You must have all that information in front of you"
Her (screaming): "You keep repeating yourself as if I can't hear you!" - click -

You are a genuis, you typed all that shite as if you are first it has ever happened to, its 2019, check your phone bill next month, these folk like to keep you talking whilst charging you a fortune a minute, you are as well to hang up.

You will have to explain that to me, how does he get charged for taking a call from a scammer and keeping the conversation going? I think every moment you have them on the phone is a minute less they are scamming some poor vunerable people. When that "Windows TEch Support" one was doing the rounds I used to manage to keep them on the phone for 10 mins at a time claiming my computer was restarting/freezing. It was funny to hear the frustration on the other end. My father got the same call and thought it was real and only he couldnt figure out how to follow your mans instructions then he would have been scammed.

Yes i think you are right here. I think he's thinking about peple choosing to call back on missed calls from these scams and being connected to a premium rate line.
         Another scam was answering automated calls and choosing an option that then connected them to another premium line (im not sure of this is still doing the rounds).
           The scam below seemed to involve the phones being hacked somehow?
  https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3560304/amp/The-terrifying-new-mobile-phone-scam-leaves-300-bill-calls-never-made.html

t_mac

Quote from: Pearse Blue on November 21, 2019, 09:16:08 AM
Quote from: under the bar on November 20, 2019, 11:29:23 PM
Scammers?  ;D
When I read the title first I thought the thread was about T-mac and his Armagh mates! lol
Not going to lie, I did also think this was going to be about Tmac and topsoil feud yesterday..

Fcuk me the millenniums and their cotton wool blanket, two post exchanged and it is a feud!

Ambrose

It's been years since we had a proper feud on the board  8)
You can't live off history and tradition forever

t_mac

Eamonnca1 got everyone banned sure, but he's found God now, everyone's his friend.

laoislad

Anyone getting phone calls from tech support scammers lately? I got one yesterday. I usually don't answer to obvious fake numbers, but it was a slow day at work so I thought I'd play along. He was an Indian lad working from a busy office by the sounds of it. Claimed to be working for AT&T. Talked me through some PC stuff (I have a Mac, so I had to do some googling as he talked to see what I was supposed to be seeing on my screen). After we got as far as the event viewer I couldn't think of a way of stringing him along any longer, so I just asked "Look, do you just want to skip to the part where I give you my social security number and credit card information?"
Him: "Look, motherf***er, if you don't want to take part in this call, you're free to hang up any time."
Me: "Why are you doing this? Can you not get a real job? There are plenty of honest jobs out there, you don't have to earn a living by robbing people."
Him: "... and don't you dare waste my time. I don't need advice from you, so stick your advice up your a$$hole..."

Funny how quickly they become abusive once they realise you're on to them. I got one a few days ago from an Indian lady.
Her: "Hi, I'm calling about your vehicle's warranty which is expiring soon and would like to offer you a chance to renew it."
Her "Uhhh, your Ford."
Me: "Come on, tell me about my other cars, since you seem to know so much about them"
Me: "What other cars have I got? You must have all that information in front of you"
Her (screaming): "You keep repeating yourself as if I can't hear you!" - click -

https://twitter.com/_DHOTYA?s=09
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

t_mac

Quote from: laoislad on November 22, 2019, 08:36:05 AM

Her "Uhhh, your Ford."

https://twitter.com/_DHOTYA?s=09

MoChara

You's are only amatuers dealing with these Scammers I came across this fella from the North that really takes them to the cleaners, theres loads of ones on youtube taking on Scammers but this fella goes far enoguht to put them out of business  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHzoDqZL8M

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: MoChara on November 22, 2019, 08:59:32 AM
You's are only amatuers dealing with these Scammers I came across this fella from the North that really takes them to the cleaners, theres loads of ones on youtube taking on Scammers but this fella goes far enoguht to put them out of business  ;D

That is class.

MoChara

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on November 22, 2019, 09:43:44 AM

That is class.

He's some man

marty34

Great work - I'd say he put some effort and time into that.

t_mac

That is class.

Probably horseshit - nice graphics though and a great tale, probably got loads of more subscribers after this.

general_lee

Quote from: t_mac on November 22, 2019, 01:20:07 PM

That is class.

Probably horseshit - nice graphics though and a great tale, probably got loads of more subscribers after this.
Why would it be? People make a living off YouTube. Not like it's far fetched or anything

t_mac

Quote from: general_lee on November 22, 2019, 02:00:56 PM
Quote from: t_mac on November 22, 2019, 01:20:07 PM

That is class.

Why would it be? People make a living off YouTube. Not like it's far fetched or anything

Yeah more subscribers the better, the better the story the more subscribers, a sophisticated scam outfit and he had some malware installed for weeks and weeks watching their every move and they knew nothing about it?

Eamonnca1

Some of you must live some fairly dull lives if you can't believe anything remotely interesting happens to other people.

93-DY-SAM

Who is this t_mac and why is he such a fcuk wit?