NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Bigger issue for the U20s alright, Kelly and McLoughin are two of their best players and both are in superb form.
Really puts the team in a difficult position against what is you'd assume a very good Kerry team that beat them in the 2018 minor final that featured a number of the same players.

An Fhairche Abu

I'm not totally sure of the regulations for inter county teams and COVID-19 but where does this leave the other Galway panel members who may have been training with the Moycullen IC players as recently as last Sunday? What are they required to do now?

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 13, 2020, 04:08:24 PM
I'm not totally sure of the regulations for inter county teams and COVID-19 but where does this leave the other Galway panel members who may have been training with the Moycullen IC players as recently as last Sunday? What are they required to do now?
My understanding of this is that outdoor contacts are considered casual contacts rather than close contacts, so there is no impact on the rest of the county squad. That was my understanding from when the club restarted and I don't believe it's changed in the meantime.
This is on the assumption that all squad get togethers are fully outdoors of course.

thejuice

We're in good shape ahead of the games with Dublin but it's hard to know to what level we're at. Had a challenge match with Cavan last week and by all accounts things got fairly heated and the lads were fired up for it. So that's a good sign. Questions remain about the health of Mickey Newman who might have to drop out but did play for Kilmainhamwood.

Great to have a match against the Dubs just before the championship. League might be over for us but this is perfectly timed for us to get ready for the championship.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Manning18

You'd really worry about Mayo if they can't win this one. Open secret that they were training over lockdown when the majority weren't. 3 weeks since their county finals to try and focus on the relagation battle whereas Galway CB had theirs a week ago. The downside of being a dual county I suppose.

Both teams have injuries but Galway clearly far worse with their best back, best forward and potentially best midfielder all gone. You'd have to think the threat of relegation will be a greater motivation to Mayo than Galway trying to finish top of this interrupted league table.

rosnarun

Quote from: Manning18 on October 13, 2020, 08:47:15 PM
You'd really worry about Mayo if they can't win this one. Open secret that they were training over lockdown when the majority weren't. 3 weeks since their county finals to try and focus on the relagation battle whereas Galway CB had theirs a week ago. The downside of being a dual county I suppose.

Both teams have injuries but Galway clearly far worse with their best back, best forward and potentially best midfielder all gone. You'd have to think the threat of relegation will be a greater motivation to Mayo than Galway trying to finish top of this interrupted league table.

thanks for the concerm.
I reckon Horan has this league written off.  he has used it all year to blood player so id expect him to go the same route sunday.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

macdanger2

Was talking to a Donegal man today and apparently McGuinness was very impressed with Galway, he reckons they're flying and are real contenders

Manning18

Quote from: rosnarun on October 13, 2020, 09:01:06 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 13, 2020, 08:47:15 PM

thanks for the concerm.
I reckon Horan has this league written off.  he has used it all year to blood player so id expect him to go the same route sunday.

We'll have to see when the teams named I suppose. Nothing Horan has done since covid would suggest he's taking anything easy. Would've thought it was very obvious on a talent basis to bring O'Hora and Conroy in, plus injuries, rather than a basic "give the young lads a go". Going to D2 would fly in the face of these young lads development also. Will be very different from the outpouring of joy we saw in Croker in March 2019 if suddenly Mayo don't care about the league

Angelo

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 13, 2020, 10:16:04 PM
Was talking to a Donegal man today and apparently McGuinness was very impressed with Galway, he reckons they're flying and are real contenders

Galway have the golden route.

All they need to do is beat a Div 4 team and are in a de facto All Ireland QF.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Blowitupref

No Shane Walsh named for Galway as expected. No Comer either.

The Galway Senior Football team to play Mayo in the Allianz League this Sunday, October 18th is as follows:

1. Connor Gleeson

2. Conor Campbell

3. Sean Andy Kelly

4. Johnny Heaney (Capt.)

5. Liam Silke

6. Johnny Duane

7. Cillian McDaid

8. John Maher

9. Cein D'Arcy

10. Eamonn Brannigan

11. Michael Daly

12. Jason Leonard

13. Robert Finnerty

14. Ian Burke

15. Paul Conroy
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

galwayman

I don't fancy us looking at that lineup.
Midfield in particular with Maher and D'Arcy is very weak.

An Fhairche Abu

Wow, really surprising lineup to say the least, has a single line of that team named has ever played together for Galway before? Would not be optimistic of getting a result at all now, we are down a load of top players but there isn't a person outside the setup who could have predicted that team, looks more like a selection that would be named for a first round FBD game in January.

Hopefully they are all going well in training and perform on the day but if Mayo name an experienced lineup for the match and can't beat that Galway side on Sunday with their Division One status on the line they are at nothing.

Team that was due to start against Mayo in March had a better look to it, certainly 9 changes (albeit some are enforced) to the lineup that was going fairly well for us previously isn't ideal.
March named 15:
1   Connor Gleeson
2   Seán Kelly
3   Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Gary O'Donnell
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Tom Flynn
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Robert Finnerty
14   Shane Walsh
15   Adrian Varley

Tubberman

Galway lads very concerned about where Mayo would stand if they can't beat Galway :D
Mayo will be ok, stop worrying lads.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Fhairche Abu

More concerned at the Galway team and it's merits going up against a team fighting to stay up in Division One to be honest, I hope we hammer ye obviously!