Dublin Hurling

Started by Bud Wiser, July 22, 2009, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

I'm like a kid myself with the advances made in Dublin Hurling and the effort that Laois, Kildare and Dublin are making to get young lads into the game.  Here is just a small snippet from yesterdays Herald and it might just give a flavor of what I mean.

Saturday Special.
Fingallians, Kilmacud Crokes and Naas took part in the U10 hurling day which was hosted by Portlaoise in O'Moore Park.  Each team played three games.  Quality hurling. It was a marvelous day, chips on the way home.
The Finns kids were still talking about the day Alan McCrabbe visited their summer camp and signed more autographs than Ronaldo.

Fair play to those who gave their time to this, truly the unsung heros of the GAA.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

tayto

Too right Bud, great too see the strides being made by the traditionally weaker hurling counties. Here's hoping all can keep the effort going and shake up the big guns. Carlow deserve a mention as well.

EddieMerx

Dublin are actually traditionally a strong hurling county who went through an extended low patch ;)

Gnevin

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 22, 2009, 09:17:32 PM
Dublin are actually traditionally a strong hurling county who went through an extended low patch ;)

The Kerry revival is just around the corner so.  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

deiseach

The only way Dublin hurling would get back to the circumstances which prevailed in the good ol' days would be if they were to ban private motor cars. Is John Gormley a closet Hill 16er?

orangeman

Dublin were more than a match for Limerick today.

Dublin are now at a different level. They went out today expecting to win but a wee bit of inexperience cost them today.

INDIANA

One of the most disappoinitng days I've ever had. Just too many juvenile mistakes and too many guys who didn;t turn up. Limerick were more streetwise and just about deserved it. We weren't good enough to win and thats the bottom line. I'm just hoping we'll learn, add a few players and come back stronger. Its an awful pity though.
But limerick deserved it.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 26, 2009, 09:55:33 PM
One of the most disappoinitng days I've ever had. Just too many juvenile mistakes and too many guys who didn;t turn up. Limerick were more streetwise and just about deserved it. We weren't good enough to win and thats the bottom line. I'm just hoping we'll learn, add a few players and come back stronger. Its an awful pity though.
But limerick deserved it.

I know you're down in the dumps. But I thought you were more than a match for Limerick. Limerick beat you in the last few minutes. Dodgy penalty. In fact there was some horrible reffing in both games today, not to mention the umpiring.

Dublin have come a long way and are going in the right direction. Big match experience is needed at this stage. Dublin didn't have it. Limerick had that bit of cuteness at the last.

Hound

Very disappointing. Dublin totally threw it away in my opinion. With 8 or 9 minutes left a stat came up showing Dublin had 63% possession in the 2nd half - but we werent able to turn that dominance into scores. Lots of silly minor mistakes that added up, and of course you can't afford to be missing frees or for your best forward to miss two handy scores late on. The future is bright enough, and hopefully we'll come back stronger, but I would have loved to see us have a rattle at Tipp in Croker as massive underdogs.

Congrats to Limerick on grinding out the victory and best of luck in the semi. 

tayto

Yea, we wasted some amount of possession. youngsters up front kept taking too much out of the ball and running into cul de sacs when the pressure had come on, we seemed to revert to old style Dublin, backs started hitting aimless balls forward which the limerick HB line started hovering up, or, hit them straight over the line which is criminal when the game is there for the winning.

Still all in all a good season, a lot learnt hopefully, by the players and Daly. We need a bit of luck with injuries next year, Fallon back and O'Carroll fit would be a good start but with no new injuries, possibly asking for too much there! I'd try and rope in Rory O'Carroll asap, Think he'd fill in at CHB better then Joey who i don't think has looked comfortable there at all - he's needed in midfield.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: orangeman on July 26, 2009, 03:35:54 PM
Dublin were more than a match for Limerick today.

Dublin are now at a different level.
Are they?
Last year they played a full strength Wexford team and narrowly lost.
This year Wexford needed to be decimated by injuries before Dublin beat them.
I wouldn't be be giving Anthony Daly the Freedom of Dublin just yet!

INDIANA

When you haven't won a game for 18 years in the championship against a decent team - you'll take what you can get. But I wouldn't expect someone from Tipp to understand that.

EddieMerx

Rome wasn't built in a day, are Dublin realistic All Ireland contenders? No, have they improved from last year? Yes. It could be another 3 or 4 years before Dublin can go into the championship with expectations of winnning an All Ireland! at least they are going in the right direction

tayto

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 28, 2009, 06:33:15 PM
Last year they played a full strength Wexford team and narrowly lost.
This year Wexford needed to be decimated by injuries before Dublin beat them.
I wouldn't be be giving Anthony Daly the Freedom of Dublin just yet!

We were a lot more competitive all through the league then before, in every game, gone were the up and down performances from previous year when we'd run a big gun close and then get hammered the following week.

Wexford had their injuries but we were missing two of our best players from last summer as well, Fallon is simply irreplaceable and O'Carroll was out second highest scoring forward last summer. You'd expect Wexford to be able to replace first team players better then Dublin can.

deiseach

I think Dublin can be pleased overall with the year. There are echoes with our situation in 1998 when there was an expectation of a good run in the championship and they managed that. They'll view last Sunday as a missed opportunity but it's not as if chances like that won't come along again soon