All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

Fair play to Dublin, the better team certainly on the day.
McHugh, Molloy, Sean Andy, Cooke all did very well. It was probably too much of a step up for our two former minor corner forwards, but they will have learned loads from this. Was slightly disappointed that we didn't see more changes during the game, Daly was nullified for large periods when being marked by a small speedy player. Would it have been worth bringing him out to midfield to get him into the game. He is a classy player, and can use this as a learning experience. He was brilliant against Kildare when he came on a couple of weeks ago.

With people bemoaning this competition ending, I have to speak up. Yeah the quality won't be as good, but it's not fair to have players made to play and train for so many teams - college/u21/senior. It's bad news for the couch supporter, but for these players it is for the best.
I don't think it is a question of playing too many games per se, maybe it is the fact they are training on so many different teams who are looking for them to peak at different times of year which is just impossible.

galwayman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 30, 2017, 01:19:48 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 30, 2017, 12:37:57 PM
The U21 final is never in Croke Park. In an case do Dublin teams not get enough home games as it js?
Galway v Cavan final in 2011 was played in Croke park. This years final was never to be played in Croke park though.
Pretty sure that game was in Croker only because it was a curtain raiser to the division 1 hurling final between Dublin and Kilkenny.

Cunny Funt

The simple thing to do was to rearrange college competitions but it was bizarrely untouched and more popular and better competition was scrapped.

On yesterdays final and in hindsight that Galway U21 outfit were probably too inconsistent to ever win this All Ireland and especially when they came up against a very consistent and well organised team as Dublin were.

Frank_The_Tank

The U21 final is never in Croke Park. In an case do Dublin teams not get enough home games as it js?

Guess my question was more why do u21 players not get chance to represent their county in an all ireland final in croker?  Im sure for many of them it could be the only opportunity they get to play in croker.   An u21 final would be as big an occasion as a junior club football final or a ladies all ireland final or a vocational schools all ireland final imo all off which get their day out in croke park
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Syferus

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on April 30, 2017, 09:20:01 PM

Guess my question was more why do u21 players not get chance to represent their county in an all ireland final in croker?  Im sure for many of them it could be the only opportunity they get to play in croker.   An u21 final would be as big an occasion as a junior club football final or a ladies all ireland final or a vocational schools all ireland final imo all off which get their day out in croke park

Fùck no. U21 AI finals were great in more intimate grounds like Tullamore. Atmosphere would be lost in a cavern like Croke Park with only a max of 15k or so attending. This attitude of playing games in big grounds - Croker or, at club level, county grounds - simply for the sake of it has to stop.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2017, 02:15:17 PM

Fùck no. U21 AI finals were great in more intimate grounds like Tullamore. Atmosphere would be lost in a cavern like Croke Park with only a max of 15k or so attending. This attitude of playing games in big grounds - Croker or, at club level, county grounds - simply for the sake of it has to stop.

Agreed, bringing 15k and less up to the big smoke and into a stadium the size of Croker for some finals is a bit of a joke. No athmosphere inside or outside the stadium.  Spread the wealth. Tullamore, Portlaoise, Ennis, Breffini  are more in need of a boost to the local economy/community.

Besides Dublin get enough home games as it is!

twohands!!!

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 30, 2017, 02:23:10 PM
The simple thing to do was to rearrange college competitions but it was bizarrely untouched and more popular and better competition was scrapped.

On yesterdays final and in hindsight that Galway U21 outfit were probably too inconsistent to ever win this All Ireland and especially when they came up against a very consistent and well organised team as Dublin were.

The reason for this is that the GAA has pretty much zero power to force the 3rd levels to make any changes.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 01, 2017, 04:14:34 PM

Agreed, bringing 15k and less up to the big smoke and into a stadium the size of Croker for some finals is a bit of a joke. No athmosphere inside or outside the stadium.  Spread the wealth. Tullamore, Portlaoise, Ennis, Breffini  are more in need of a boost to the local economy/community.

I disagree.  If you were to ask any player I would say 90% or more would love to play in croke park snd would put that ahead of a bit nore of an atmosphere at some random county ground which wont be at capacity either.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Syferus

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on May 02, 2017, 12:33:24 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 01, 2017, 04:14:34 PM

I disagree.  If you were to ask any player I would say 90% or more would love to play in croke park snd would put that ahead of a bit nore of an atmosphere at some random county ground which wont be at capacity either.

Games with attendances in the thousands shouldn't have their locations decided by the whims of a few players.

You're just pulling a percentage out of your arse too - even if in an ideal world players would like to play at Croke Park most would be realistic enough to see there are other elements that need to be considered too.

DJGaliv

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on May 02, 2017, 12:33:24 AM

I hear where you are coming from, but it's this madness that stops progress. I'd love if our club championship game was played in Croker, but that's not going to happen.

If you asked players they'd love their day out in Croke park, or they'd love the chance to win a provincial title.... We really have to stop this, and move with the times.

I'd defend gaelic football to the ends, but watching games play in Croke Park with 10,000 people there is just awful. Trying to defend to to others the reasoning behind it, and also the fact that we have four groups of 12,9,6 and 5 teams to get to the last 8 is very hard to do - (I'm not including London and NY as that's just daft).

We've invested hugely across the country in updated stadia, and that's where these games should be played. Suit it to geography and what the stadium can hold. Don't mind this nonsense that players would prefer to play in Croke park.

It's crazy we are bowing down to the whims of lads with pioneer and GAA badges with 30 years of administrating, and lovely three course meals who want to keep Connacht final day as it is, rather than making it fairer for every county like the four divisions we have seen work so well in the leagues

galwayman

I do think playing the junior and intermediate AI club finals in Croker is the right thing to do though regardless of the small attendance there.
Lads who wouldn't have anywhere near the talent to make a county team can still potentially get the chance to play in Croker.
I played on a club team that lost out in extra time in a provincial club final a while back and can only imagine the buzz to play there.
Our conquerors on that day made it to Croker.

Rossfan

Agree with you Galwayman.
Would help if admission was cut to €10 and try to generate a bit of a crowd.
Same goes for the Ring, Rackard and Meagher  finals.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM