Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

At this stage, outside of the final or maybe a big semi-final match-up, I don't think Croke Park should be used during the Leinster championship.
Regardless of what happens this year, the crowds for Dublin games are only going one way as people are tired of watching non-contests.
Inject a bit of novelty, send more games to Tullamore, Portlaoise, Navan etc.
I've never bought into this craic of players having the automatic right to play in Croke Park.
You should have to earn the right to play there.
Personally, Tullamore is my favourite 'neutral' venue in Leinster and I'd love to go to more games there.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

haranguerer

I hate watching matches in Croker when its only half full. Even last week, the top tier was empty at one of the biggest days of the year - it looks very bad. It is nonsense to have built a stadium to cater for your biggest possible crowd, rather than your average expected crowd. Its built now though, so I suppose it has to be used, but imo the games would benefit from being played all round the country in tighter stadia.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2014, 10:38:43 AM
At this stage, outside of the final or maybe a big semi-final match-up, I don't think Croke Park should be used during the Leinster championship.
Regardless of what happens this year, the crowds for Dublin games are only going one way as people are tired of watching non-contests.
Inject a bit of novelty, send more games to Tullamore, Portlaoise, Navan etc.
I've never bought into this craic of players having the automatic right to play in Croke Park.
You should have to earn the right to play there.
Personally, Tullamore is my favourite 'neutral' venue in Leinster and I'd love to go to more games there.

Amen

seafoid

Quote from: haranguerer on August 27, 2014, 10:55:52 AM
I hate watching matches in Croker when its only half full. Even last week, the top tier was empty at one of the biggest days of the year - it looks very bad. It is nonsense to have built a stadium to cater for your biggest possible crowd, rather than your average expected crowd. Its built now though, so I suppose it has to be used, but imo the games would benefit from being played all round the country in tighter stadia.
Me too. Very little atmosphere.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

There was a decent crowd in Croker last Sunday (only Semple could accommodate that number, I think?) and there was definitely nothing lost in atmosphere for it not being at capacity.

Leinster double-header matches tend to draw small crowds and it makes for a very poor atmosphere. Same with a lot of the double-headers in the qualifiers, would be better off in a provincial venue

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 27, 2014, 11:17:19 AM

There was a decent crowd in Croker last Sunday (only Semple could accommodate that number, I think?) and there was definitely nothing lost in atmosphere for it not being at capacity.

Leinster double-header matches tend to draw small crowds and it makes for a very poor atmosphere. Same with a lot of the double-headers in the qualifiers, would be better off in a provincial venue

Exactly, there was a great atmosphere. What is wrong with people that you want to choke some random small towns, at short notice, in favour of a day out at Croke Park?
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

Whos talking about short notice? And by choking, do you mean 'spreading revenue amongst'? Say what you want, unless a stadium is full the atmosphere suffers. Its built now, it'll have to be used, but it seems to have been like Celtic Tiger houses, f**king massive for no good reason.

I used to watch Aussie Rules on tg4 and think how s**te it must be if all their stadiums are half empty, it took me only a little time to realise our own half empty stadium no doubt puts out the same impression.

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on August 27, 2014, 03:47:16 PM
Whos talking about short notice? And by choking, do you mean 'spreading revenue amongst'? Say what you want, unless a stadium is full the atmosphere suffers. Its built now, it'll have to be used, but it seems to have been like Celtic Tiger houses, f**king massive for no good reason.

I used to watch Aussie Rules on tg4 and think how s**te it must be if all their stadiums are half empty, it took me only a little time to realise our own half empty stadium no doubt puts out the same impression.

What revenue will go to Tuam, Clarinbridge and Claregalway?
MWWSI 2017

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: haranguerer on August 27, 2014, 03:47:16 PM

Good point, the problem is not really a half full Croke Park, its all these fecken white elephants around the country used once a year that have put county boards in debt. Tis like the mid 00's, everyone had to have a holiday home.
I half think this has been a strategy by the GAA to stop the inevitable argument for pay for players, pretty soon with the debt in Croke Park paid off and the millions still rolling in from extra curricular activities, and all the white elephants built there will be nowhere to put the money soon seeing as they dont really give much to clubs. Maybe they'll have to do that - give more to the clubs - shock horror.
And before anyone says they do give it to the clubs, I know the Munster Council got a million last year why are their fees of up to and over €1000 to enter adult club teams into competitions? Where does that money go? Why do we all have to fundraise for pitches and pitch developments, gear and all that. I'm also involved with a rugby club and its way easier to source funds centrally in rugby than it is with the GAA club. We did match floodlights last year and 60% came from central funding and grants. I know theres a smaller base of clubs in rugby but the GAA has WAY more revenue streams than the IRFU, and the GAA have feck all employees. Something doesnt add up.

NaomhBridAbú

If Dublin were in the semi-final, what would be the chances of having the game played outside of the capital? Its hard enough to get them playing out of Croker at the best of times.

precedent is no real benchmark - the new croke park and the ulster rivalry of Tyrone v Armagh brought ulster finals to Croke Park - when there was savage interest in these games 65,000 people would turn up (i think that was the peak crowd)....

In another year with no american football, this would not have been an issue - would have been in croker regardless.

fact remains that the GAA need to plan better - the brooks fiasco, american football...joke for an organisation of this scale...Jarlath Burns is putting forward suggestions that should have been mentioned ages ago....cover all eventualities ......
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2014, 03:01:05 PM

Exactly, there was a great atmosphere. What is wrong with people that you want to choke some random small towns, at short notice, in favour of a day out at Croke Park?
Of course the road from Mayo to Dublin doesn't go through any small towns whatsoever.

macdanger2

Quote from: Sidney on August 27, 2014, 05:12:27 PM

Of course the road from Mayo to Dublin doesn't go through any small towns whatsoever.

You're some man to know about roads tbf Sid!!

Sidney

Quote from: orangeman on August 27, 2014, 08:50:27 AM

"We need to look at what amateur means, what our ideals are," said Brolly. "What do we believe in - do we believe in any of our core values any more? Decisions are being made behind closed doors and even officials from county boards don't know about them. They are done, we are told, for commercial reasons. But there is a general feeling among many that the commercial juggernaut has left the station.

"What you are seeing is that the GAA is slowly but surely drifting towards capitalism. I have made this point repeatedly and, talking to some high-ranking officials, they feel the same way."

I hope Joe will also be speaking out against sponsor's names on jerseys. And sponsors of competitions. And team holidays. And the professional administration and others employed by the GAA such as Games Development Officers. And the corporate money that helped to build Croke Park. And anything like that.

What does amateur mean? I don't think a very long debate needs to be had about that. I think it's pretty obvious.

muppet

You are the self-proclaimed expert, you should know.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Quote from: muppet on August 27, 2014, 05:39:06 PM

You are the self-proclaimed expert, you should know.
You've the local knowledge. You tell me. Does the N5 go through any small towns?