Leinster Minor Football Championship

Started by SCFC, April 20, 2016, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bueller

When was the last time a Laois team contested a Leinster Final without a Portlaoise man on the starting 15? I'd wager it's not been done, but am open to correction.

Great work by all, it's a step back in the right direction. Well done Mark, Billy Tomas and Beano.

Unlaoised

Well Done lads a terrific second half performance

Here is my ratings on the lads and how they got on.....

1.Ross Mcgrath  7 .Kick outs were decent did come out rashly for a ball in the first half but to be fair it was brave and if your going to come then better to come showing no fear.Caught a tricky ball under the cross bar in the second half.

2.James Kelly  8 .Looks a great prospect tigerish in the tackle and superb on the ball going forward did make a few slack passes but this seem to a trend just before half time with players from both sides as the game got scrappy.

3.Diarmaid Bennett 8.Fine Full back was strong and held his position well was on a tricky customer and dealt with him well.Did the simple things well which is all you ask.

4.Richard Hitchock 7.The Park man showed great pace and had too dealing with a flier of a corner forward who was replaced with 15 minutes to go which is always a good sign for a corner back.

5.Shane Bolger 8.Was one of Laois's best players in the first half and supported the attack well with driving runs forward never forgot his defensive duties either winning his one to one battle.

6.Sean Byrne 10. Master class display at center back he won nearly every tackle he went for a real strong player who always does the right thing with the ball sometimes the simple pass is the hardest pass he made it look easy his point in the second half was just class and deserved the roar he got for it.

7.James O'Connor 7.Made up a terrific half back line was composed on the ball and was also strong in the tackle the Timahoe can be happy with his nights work.

8.Liam Delaney 7.The Ballyroan man started like a house on fire but found it tough going at times he contested kick outs very well and was strong on the ball he was on a good player so gave a decent account of himself.

9.Max Connolly 7.Again the Ballyfin man found himself on a good player he tracked him everywhere especailly going back off the ball and gave his all.Fouled a little bit too much in the first half but his pass for the goal was sublime and he left everything on the field.

10.Finbar Crowley 7 .Was fortunate not to be booked earlier but the referee was picky in the first half he got a lovely score in the first half and worked so hard which was a feature of all the forwards play.

11.Adam Deering 8.Was guilty of a few bad passes when in two minds and was caught behind his man a few times but he certainly made up for this with two quick fire points at the start of the second half one with the left and one with the right he added two more to cap a fine 20 minute spell which saw Laois go clear.

12 Ciaran Comerford 7.The Harps man worked his socks off and carried the ball well for the Laois team he won a lot of frees and was unlucky on a few occasions not to get his own score he is a strong ball carrier which is rare these days.

13.Johnny Kelly 7 Didn't get on as much ball as he would of liked but his running off the ball was relentless and unselfish to open up space for others.Sometimes this isn't appreciated in the game but I saw it and admired it.

14.Diarmaid Whelan 9 .Looks a fantastic prospect his frees were deadly in the first half apart from the one that looked the easiest(the ones straight in front of goals from 35 plus out are the ones to practice most)He finished with 6 points and it could have been more.Looks so composed on the ball.

15 Alan Kinsella 7.Mixed bag for the Courtwood man showed so well for the ball and caught a few magnificent efforts .Kicked a few into the keepers hands and tried a few impossible passes.Defo a lot of talent there which was shown by his courage to step up and slot the free.He will have better days just needs to steady down a bit more on the ball.

I found it hard to keep track of the subs so apoligies if I get these wrong but John Kavanagh was unlucky to see a black card for the pull down as the Offaly player charged into him.

Evan Lowry looked lively and took his goal very well after a great move from connolly

Mark McDermot showed well for the ball at right half forward and certainly added pace to the Laois attack.

I know Dylan Feane and Caomhan Brennan and I think Conor Brennan all came on as well and none of them did any harm infact the fresh legs only added the the Faithful's woes as Laois ran at them in the second half.

The whole panel not just the unused subs in Darragh Phelan Lir McDonald and Cian Langford deserve a big mention I know there is plenty more involved and they are just as much a part of this success as the 21 that played and the 24 that were named

1-15 is a decent score in football and great to see the forwards and the backs so hungry even in the latter stages to keep Offaly to just 3 second half points.

Well done Mark Rooney Beano Thomas Brett(who is excellent on the line) and Billy delaney.

I can't wait to go to croke Park to follow the boys and I hope they don't let the occasion get to them and play the football they did in the second half last night.

Great to see such a support up there as well it was a throw back to 8-9 years ago and the Laois fans were vocal with subs being applauded off the field etc.

These boys and the senior results have really put a feel good factor in Laois football in last few weeks it was great to see so many of the seniors there last night roaring them on as well.
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Quote from: The Monument Road on July 05, 2016, 10:38:31 PM
Quote from: SCFC on July 05, 2016, 11:19:30 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on July 05, 2016, 09:45:15 AM
Can't be there this evening but best of luck to the minors. It would be great to have one team in a Leinster final this year. Who are te key players on the minor team this year?

Whelan from Ballyroan is a strong forward. As is Kinsella (the referee's son), Comerford from The Harps (ex Killeen), the 2 Port lads at full back and centre back, Bennett and Byrne.
Big lad from Josephs wing back is very good, is his name Smith?
No his name is James Kelly. Off the same block as his first cousin Tom, Stephen & Colm Kelly and is as good if not better then Tom. Defdinatly one to watch. He had an outstanding game tonight
First cousins of the Farrells in Ballylynan also. Their mother is a Kelly. Serious footballing genes in that extended family.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Shapes Ex Laoistalk

Brilliant win last night. Great interviews with manager Mark Rooney, centre forward Adam Deering and captain Sean Byrne on Midlands this morning: https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/mark-rooney-adam-deering-and-sean-byrne-post-offaly

Byrne sounds like and plays like someone who really means business.

on the hop

No sign of the big lad from Camross, is he injured???

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: on the hop on July 06, 2016, 01:37:44 PM
No sign of the big lad from Camross, is he injured???
He had a medical problem and couldn't train for a while. Glad to hear he got the all clear yesterday and will be back on the panel for the final.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Tony

Sean Byrne seems like a real talent indeed. Great talent, and you can tell by his interview, great head on his shoulders. Very smart lad and speaks way beyond his years. One to look out for in the coming years. Fair play to the minor management setup - it takes a proactive, modern setup to compete in 2016 and they seem to be on par with the top teams in Leinster regarding preparation. Even Sean Byrne mentioned there that they have been conditioning training and their fitness is superb. Credit to all involved and let's hope we've good support for these lads in the final.

redsetanta

So it's the Lillie's in the final. Extra time win over Meath so very little between them. They seem to have to star men who contributed 15 points between them last night.
It's a final and by the sounds of them young lads they have no fear and will be going for it and beyond.
Looking forward to it.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Kildare are a massive team seen them earlier this year....They have two midfielders one is 6-5 the other 6-2 and all over the field they will be bigger but maybe the open spaces of croker will suit the Laois lads who look fast and very very fit...

I for one can't wait for it!
LAOIS ABÚ

County Man

Fantastic win against Offaly.

2nd half was superb, some wonderful scores and great teamwork.

Brilliant turnout for it as well.

Great to be back in a Leinster final. Kildare will be favourites but we should give it a real go.

Dave like the tv channel

I hope they win. It could be so important to have a winning bunch coming through........or maybe not? Should we hope they stay hungry for success rather than be sated by a minor provincial win?

Our well has been running dry, with only the odd player or two coming through. The last minor appearance was in 2007, so this could promise something for the future. Have we fluked a good team here or are are we now doing something right with football?

theoldvet

We had a good minor team last year as well
only beating by a late goal by Killdeer In O' Moore park
so plenty of talent coming thought
all we need Is the right people
to bring them forward in the future.

Tony

Would have preferred to play Meath - Kildare are a bit of a bogey team for us at underage recently - they nearly always seem to be a much bigger team than us at underage the last 5-7 years. Still, great to be in a final

Unlaoised

Just got me tickets for sunday hopefully this Laois team can lift the spirits of the county!
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Never saw a thread so quiet on the eve of a Leinster Final, it's nine years since we were in one so best of luck to all concerned tomorrow.
It just shows how football is going in this county when we can't even get excited when our lads reach a Leinster final..

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!