Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: CJ2017 on August 30, 2018, 06:04:42 AM
Not sure how this would go down with everyone and apologies if it was mentioned before.

If a rule was introduced that the ball had to go past the 45m line on the kickout.

As you say Trileacman "The option to go long to a competitive midfield battle is the last one that many keepers take having exhausted any safe short options." Agree with you that the keeper would take the more certain/higher percentage to kick short.

Would a competitive midfield battle be more of a spectacle to watch for audiences I am not sure.

this rule was introduced into the Int Rules in 2014.

It's a no-brainer really and it doesn't have to apply to club football either.
Anything to stop the keeper kicking the ball 15 yards to his corner back is worth a go in my view.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyCake

What if a keeper is kicking into a gale force wind and can't beyond the 21, never mind the 50 yard line?

Jinxy

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on August 30, 2018, 10:13:42 AM
What if a keeper is kicking into a gale force wind and can't beyond the 21, never mind the 50 yard line?
Get a big lad in the full back line to kick the ball out instead
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

I'd imagine most keepers would secretly love a rule that requires them to balloon the ball out to midfield.
At the moment you'd want a PhD in Trigonometry to figure out the kick-out strategy.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2018, 09:44:56 AM
Not sure how this would go down with everyone and apologies if it was mentioned before.

If a rule was introduced that the ball had to go past the 45m line on the kickout.

As you say Trileacman "The option to go long to a competitive midfield battle is the last one that many keepers take having exhausted any safe short options." Agree with you that the keeper would take the more certain/higher percentage to kick short.

Would a competitive midfield battle be more of a spectacle to watch for audiences I am not sure.

Anything to stop the keeper kicking the ball 15 yards to his corner back is worth a go in my view.
If the distance is an issue, we can just add another line to the pitch at 30m or whatever, it wouldnt be that hard to implement.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyCake

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2018, 10:16:25 AM
At inter-county level?

The rules apply to all levels. Keepers could struggle hitting the 50 in high winds. I've seen it happen.

Jinxy

Why do the rules have to apply to all levels?

Rossfan

Because you can't be having elites with different rules?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2018, 09:44:56 AM

But that would be a rule to benefit a defensive team to the detriment of the attacking team.

If you don't want the keeper to pass to the corner back, then all you have to do is make the corner forward mark him!

Jinxy

I'll refer you to my earlier suite of rule changes which stipulated that players must return to their 'starting' positions for re-starts, i.e. 3 backs & 3 forwards on the 45m line and 3 backs & 3 forwards on the 20m line.

Rossfan

Why not throw the ball in to the 4 midfielders after every score and wide?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

westbound

This suggestion would encourage teams to be more defensive.

If the 6 forwards know that if they stand anywhere between the 21 and the 45 for the kickout, the ball is going to sail over their heads what is the point of them being there.

This rule would ensure that EVERY team puts 15 on their own side of the opposition 45 for opposition kick outs. So in effect, if a team were to win their own kickout they'd be faced with 15 behind the ball straight away.

I'm not in favour of this rule at all, but the only way it could possibly work would be if another rule was also brought in which limited the number of players a team could have in certain areas of the pitch for kickouts. I.e. the 6 forwards would be forced to stay in position for kickouts.
So it starts getting very messy!

In any event, if a rule was brought in to limited the number of players in certain areas for kickouts (i.e. keeping the 6 forwards in position) I think it would encourage most teams to kick long anyway as the short options would be closed off and therefore there would be no need for a rule forcing keepers to kick long.

Also, if keepers were forced to kick long, it would reduce the impact of a sending off. At the moment, one of the biggest advantages of having an extra man is that it is fairly easy to retain possession from your own kickout. I don't think it is a good idea to be reducing the benefit of having an extra man. It is up to the opposition to make sure they keep 15 on the pitch.

westbound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2018, 12:38:18 PM
I'll refer you to my earlier suite of rule changes which stipulated that players must return to their 'starting' positions for re-starts, i.e. 3 backs & 3 forwards on the 45m line and 3 backs & 3 forwards on the 20m line.

Sorry Jinxy, I had posted my reply before I saw this.

This suggestion has merit, but I don't think we would need to 'force' keepers to kick long if the above rule was brought in. I think it would happen naturally.