NFL Div 3

Started by Catch and Kick, January 16, 2019, 10:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Eh............can we go back to discussing shite Div 3 football please?

Aristo 60

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 12, 2019, 05:54:18 PM
While some of us still can  :-[

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 12, 2019, 05:54:18 PM

I thought we were - I didn't make up 'European Handball' of out nowhere. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Ok - and we're back.

Down travel to table topping Longford on Sunday. Longford have a great record against Down and will hope to consolidate their push for promotion. I'm not sure how many of the Mullinalaghtas have made themselves available. This will be clearer later today or tomorrow.

Hope to see a win here and then I can relax a little as the chances of relegation would be slim.........

Shamrock Shore

Didn't travel but, by all accounts, Down were the far better side. Away to Laois next Sat eve. Getting very tight in Div 3.

SLIGONIAN

That result for us today was scandalous
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

And if someone can explain the scoring for me, louth go 3-1 up, Sligo get 5 in a row and go 6-3 ahead 20 mins gone, HT  scoreline louth 3-8 Sligo 8pts, how does one make sense of that? Feel sorry for my 70 yr old Dad driving all that way on his own to see that rubbish, absolutely fuming.

Croí na hÉireann

Really good second half from Westmeath yesterday to turn around the flow of the match after Laois had the better of the first. We were much more direct after half time and we need to employ this approach when not playing one of the 15 behind the ball teams. Laois sending Kingston onto the edge of the square and bringing O'Carroll out to the 40 worked in our favour too. It was nice to see some old style man on man proper defending yesterday. Kevin Maguire played like a man who was never away, while Boidu and Wallace were to the fore too. Laois look to have a corner back every bit as good as Joe Higgins was in Gareth Dillon, looks a class act. If Paddy Holloway could be tempted back it would really tie up the backline.

Up the far end our final pass let us down in the first half, could have been in on goal a couple of times only for poor handling. Passed up an excellent chance at the back post in the second half too. Great to get the win though, puts us back in the promotion race, win our last 3 games and we're guaranteed to go up. 2 of them away so no easy task. Need to win away to a Sligo team fighting for their lives next Sunday.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

WT4E

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 25, 2019, 04:33:16 AM
And if someone can explain the scoring for me, louth go 3-1 up, Sligo get 5 in a row and go 6-3 ahead 20 mins gone, HT  scoreline louth 3-8 Sligo 8pts, how does one make sense of that? Feel sorry for my 70 yr old Dad driving all that way on his own to see that rubbish, absolutely fuming.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 03, 2018, 10:17:29 PM
For me the minimum was Div3 status and beat London but this team was capable of more, the manner of how we stayed up wasn't pretty, the manner of our defeat to Galway and Armagh have to be considered.

There was lots of negatives behind the scenes too, that transferred to the pitch, his whole approach was poor, out of his depth. I'm glad he is gone.

Our CB are so poor I don't know what they will come up with next. No self-respecting outside manager will come to us. O Hara/McGowan could be anything from a disaster to great imo.

Just wondering what you think of Cathal Corey now?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: WT4E on February 25, 2019, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 25, 2019, 04:33:16 AM

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 03, 2018, 10:17:29 PM
For me the minimum was Div3 status and beat London but this team was capable of more, the manner of how we stayed up wasn't pretty, the manner of our defeat to Galway and Armagh have to be considered.

There was lots of negatives behind the scenes too, that transferred to the pitch, his whole approach was poor, out of his depth. I'm glad he is gone.

Our CB are so poor I don't know what they will come up with next. No self-respecting outside manager will come to us. O Hara/McGowan could be anything from a disaster to great imo.

Just wondering what you think of Cathal Corey now?
The same, he was poor and should never have been appointed just like Taylor. The panel was a far bit stronger last year in fairness to Taylor. And the only reason we stayed up was 4 home games. If Derry was away we would be div4 already.

What we need is an experienced manager.

WT4E

Have you ever considered that it may not be the managers fault?

sligoman

Quote from: WT4E on February 26, 2019, 09:04:56 PM
Have you ever considered that it may not be the managers fault?

For me this is the crux of the matter. We have Div 4 players heading for Div 4 and it's been coming for 2 or 3 years at least.

We've had a few great servants for the county hanging on the last few years who are well, well past their best and they stayed on because we needed them. The likes of Harrison, Egan, Donovan, Marren, Breheny and a few others hung on in there when they were getting nothing out of it and well past their best but they were still invaluable to us staying up.

This year they have all parted ways with the exception of Marren, not sure if Donovan is still involved but he had a bad knee injury last year so he may have had no choice. It's probably something we should have done a few years back and we might have been further down the rebuilding process..

The result Sunday was humiliating but I can't see where this talk is coming about how we should be doing so much better, for me the results tie in with the level of players available to us. On here the past few years, we've seen the criticism the likes of Carew and Corey came under, they kept us in Div 3 with a mix of ageing players past their best and young inexperienced players. David Kelly has not committed now in the past 3 seasons under the last 3 managers, this year as well as the experienced players walking away we are also without the likes of McDonnell, Cian Breheny and Kyle Cawley who would be 3 of our more experienced players now despite being quite young themselves.

There's only about 5 or 6 players of the 20 involved against Louth who would have more than 5 Championship appearances and one is a very flawed keeper who has somehow kept goal for the past 5 seasons under 3 different managers.

For me, this season has been coming for some time and the woes of Sligo in the past few seasons have little to do with management but a complete lack of talent that has come through Sligo football in the past decade. Sligo club football is as low as I can ever remember it and if that is the case how can we expect a manager to come in and achieve something with the playing resources available to him. Hopefully the county board have learned their lesson and we can build towards the future.

Shamrock Shore

Laoiseabu