Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

If I'm reading the minor fixtures right from county web Div 2 teams have 8 league matches and div 1 teams 12. U could hardly call that a season as championship is knockout....

imtommygunn

12 games plus c'ship plus regional championship probably enough for that age. Factor in exams, games with other age groups and games with other codes then I think it's ok.

(Not sure if Belfast has a south Belfast c'ship but there is a south west one)

delgany

There is great sense on having 3  fixtures  in July!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 15, 2019, 05:57:12 PM
12 games plus c'ship plus regional championship probably enough for that age. Factor in exams, games with other age groups and games with other codes then I think it's ok.

(Not sure if Belfast has a south Belfast c'ship but there is a south west one)
Yes think it's over already
Surely 8 in div 2 is light...

imtommygunn

Yeah 8 maybe a wee bit light. 12 league games in the top one not bad.

paddyjohn

Only a panel of 22 named for this weeken?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 15, 2019, 07:45:39 PM
Only a panel of 22 named for this weeken?

Time to get those stay aways back on board
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Not one player from St Galls MR. Have you any insight as to how this can be? Even excusing the over thirties who feel they have done that particular shift, surely your proud club has several good enough to make the team/squad!! Are they not being encouraged to go? I'd have thought with Lennys strong connection there your club would be pulling a bit more with him? From the outside it certainly doesn't look like he is getting much support from St Galls.

No one from Cargin either CB? Why would you say this is the case?

We have a must win home game tomorrow and the silence is deafening!

Milltown Row2

McCabe not available?

We've not contested a final in a few years, we'd be well down on the pecking order at county level. Creggan the johnnies, Cargin and Lamhs are the new kingpins.

Add in your up and coming teams like  Endas and that's our future
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Mc Cabe is no longer available apparently!!

Pity because I thought he was shaping well and has the engine to play at this level. Looks like he doesn't fancy hanging around fighting for his place...at least that's the way it's coming across!

I'm sure the aforementioned clubs will be flattered by your admiration...but back to my previous question...have St Galls not got two or three players that should be in there doing their best for their clubman Lenny and more so for their county? Backs to the wall at the bottom of the NFL and players are deserting the ranks.

BrendanAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2019, 09:40:37 PM
McCabe not available?

We've not contested a final in a few years, we'd be well down on the pecking order at county level. Creggan the johnnies, Cargin and Lamhs are the new kingpins.

Add in your up and coming teams like  Endas and that's our future

It's hardly a 'must win'; group games in the McKenna Cup carry more weight than this. The points do nothing to either team.

imtommygunn

It would be nice to not finish last in the league though.... (either full stop or the last team from Ireland- no offense to London...)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on March 15, 2019, 10:52:54 PM
Mc Cabe is no longer available apparently!!

Pity because I thought he was shaping well and has the engine to play at this level. Looks like he doesn't fancy hanging around fighting for his place...at least that's the way it's coming across!

I'm sure the aforementioned clubs will be flattered by your admiration...but back to my previous question...have St Galls not got two or three players that should be in there doing their best for their clubman Lenny and more so for their county? Backs to the wall at the bottom of the NFL and players are deserting the ranks.

I jest to a certain point, I know nothing of the inner workings of the Antrim senior football team, nor do I claim to have the reason, real reason as to why we are so poor lately, seems plenty of experts do and if you've actually no knowledge of playing for Antrim you'd do well to keep very quiet (according to spike, that is!)

But the division between SW and Belfast may be one factor, a non SW manager in our management may have kept the SW better players (Cargin) from playing. Not going for a 'younger' more experienced manager seems to be a stumbling block, not going for the more expensive choice seems to be a stumbling block to Antrim's fortune. I could go on. From a Galls perspective I've no idea why we haven't been more active for Antrim, I genuinely believe our best players over the years have given their all for the county, and with work and family commitments can't give for both county and club.

We really shouldn't be needing players in their 30's to still be playing county football

Spike

MR, you do me a disservice. I merely wish you could empathise with the county player a bit more.  Its more complicated than simply turn up and play for the love of the jersey......which brings me on to my point,  the apathy towards playing for antrim (regardless of age) is a serious concern amd the postings regarding minor football in belfast is alarming and must be addressed.

St Galls and Cargin are still the two best teams in the county and neither now have any representation in the county set up. While ive been critical of Lennys appointment i know he is a symptom and not the cause of our lowly status.   

We've now  had multi generational lack of success and perhaps the rot has well and truly set in and the viscous cycle is well under way. In the short term we need a new tack, an inspiring manager,  and create Antrim County football as the ultimate destination and not just a box tick.   Long term, a school in belfast and a school in SW Antrim need to be targeted as a future mccrory cup winning sides.  Success breeds success after all.

bannside

Indeed ITG we need to get something from last two games to avoid the dreaded worst team in Ireland label. No one has any appetite for that. From that perspective at least one of the last two is a "must win".

The inter county landscape has changed rapidly in recent years, and the sheeer commitment level demanded is simply too much for many. Four or five sessions per week is scaring players away, the negative impact that has on social lives, relationships, job prospects, and impact on club participation, makes many wonder is the sacrifice necessary.....especially when you wouldn't get a hundred supporters to bother to turn up and support you.

I totally understand that. Unfortunately there is no quick fix unless you restrict the squad training nights to two....one in SW and one in the city. That might make a difference to many who won't commit at present.

We've lost three players in recent weeks due to walk aways and three or four injuries which hasn't helped Lennys case. In my opinion he really needs to bring in four or five players to freshen things up, and create a competitive environment at training. Otherwise we really are in a race to the bottom at this stage.