Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Started by Dinny Breen, June 21, 2016, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2019, 02:18:50 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 29, 2019, 11:43:31 AM
Enjoyed it, thought it portrayed the chaos pretty well. However still felt somewhat unsatisfied, the ending of the Night King seemed contradictory to his abilities and annoyed me a bit as did all the major players surviving....still bloody hooked though...

Him surviving the dragon fire surprised me I must say although as with you I expected a few bigger names to be cut down at least one of the Starks and a Lannister!

The Melisandre thing confused me why was she coming from the North where had she been?

Does surviving the dragon fire confirm the theory that the night king was a Targaryen? The wee smirk he gave after that was very good.
I'd have liked to know a bit more about the red woman's back story myself. Where was she and what was she doing?
The only small gripe I had was that the night king turned out to be a bit too easy to kill. I'd have liked to see a few 1 on 1s with the White Walkers and maybe between Jon and the Night King.
But have to say, I thought it was a fantastic episode.

Not sure if Jon's dragon died? Is there any army left at all?

gander

Quote from: trailer on April 29, 2019, 10:33:08 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 29, 2019, 09:52:10 PM
Think they filmed Alot of that outside of toome

On a Saturday night.

No real idea what's going on. Is there any armies left to fight Cersei? Jon and Dani kinda fucked about at the start of the episode. They could've thinned a few million dead out with a bit of fire instead they went for a pointless flight with the Dragons. I'm disappointed to be honest.

the whole plan was to go after the night king tho, they knew they couldnt beat the army of the dead

BennyHarp

Enjoyed it, thought it portrayed the chaos pretty well. However still felt somewhat unsatisfied, the ending of the Night King seemed contradictory to his abilities and annoyed me a bit as did all the major players surviving....still bloody hooked though...

Him surviving the dragon fire surprised me I must say although as with you I expected a few bigger names to be cut down at least one of the Starks and a Lannister!

The Melisandre thing confused me why was she coming from the North where had she been?

Her contributions were a bit lame too - although the lighting (and extinguishing) of the sword of the Dhotraki hoards made for a great scene - it didn't help them very much in the battle and lighting the trench only held the wights back for about 5 mins...but i suppose she did give an important pep talk to Arya.

I thought the death of the Night King was good. There was quite a few important points in that scene, the significance of the knife, stabbing him in the heart - the only place that would kill him,  Arya dropping and catching the knife like she had done in her spar with Brienne. The Night King could only really be killed in some sort of ambush - it would have been too corny for Jon Snow or anyone else to beat him in a one to one battle as he clearly had too many skills. I just wonder what his ZZ top tribute band of generals were doing when Arya sneaked up on him.
That was never a square ball!!

oakleaflad

Some of you are hard to please. Was an unprecedented piece of television.

My main issue was that it was a bit dark when I originally watched it so I changed settings on TV and watched it back last night. My only other gripe was that Jamie, Brienne and Podrick seemed to be stuck against that wall themselves for half the episode.

For an 80 minute battle I thought the character moments were still there and done pretty well. (Beric, The Hound, Theon, Jorah, Sansa + Tyrion etc.)

Loved the lighting of the swords and how quickly they were extinguished. Really helped early on to drive home that they couldn't beat the army and had to focus on the night king.

Enjoyed Melisandres not so subtle hint at Arya (Blue eyes) and Lyanna Mormont killing the giant was 100% fan service but enjoyed it none the less.

Most deaths seemed to be to protect someone else (Ed for Sam, Beric for Arya, Theon for Bran, Jorah for Daenerys)

Actually enjoyed that there was chaos. At different stages The Hound, Arya etc. looked like they could give up and be overwhelmed.

Liked that it was Arya and not Jon to kill the Night King. Jon was clean useless btw, running into trouble again and shouting at the dragon yoke at the end.

Apparently the second dragon survived as can be seen in trailer for the next episode.

Looking forward to Cersei's downfall, still think Daenerys could go mad yet.

brokencrossbar1

Thought it was class and despite being dark that I thought added to the whole idea of a chaotic battle field.  Lets face it the notion of organisation in a battle is a bit weird!  The hints and the follow ups on the hints was well pulled through....I thought Bran may have been a dark horse and play a bit of a bitch at the end but tat didn't transpire.  The scene where Beric tried to hold the walkers back in the corrider when he was in a cruciform stance was very poignant and I think leads on nicely to this theory about Bran being the Lord of Light...

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/binsug/spoilers_the_bran_is_the_lord_of_light_theory_is/

The final battle for the Iron throne will have to go a long way to upstage this but last night was very much the Twin Towers and in keeping with GRRM feelings about LOTR and how it transpired.  Last 2 episodes will effectively be the Return of the King (or Queen!)

Gold

Where do you start?!

Too much fighting and not enough narrative I agree although I suppose it captured the chaos of war... Although when you know deep down the Night King will most likely be beaten you can get a bit fed up waitin for it to happen!

Loved that Arya killed  him

How in Gods name Jamie etc lived... Was a bit ridiculous... Sam and Brianne were on the deck more times than Neymar yet somehow survived

Very hard to see too

But unprecedented television

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Mourne Red

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 30, 2019, 09:22:23 AM

Does surviving the dragon fire confirm the theory that the night king was a Targaryen? The wee smirk he gave after that was very good.
I'd have liked to know a bit more about the red woman's back story myself. Where was she and what was she doing?
The only small gripe I had was that the night king turned out to be a bit too easy to kill. I'd have liked to see a few 1 on 1s with the White Walkers and maybe between Jon and the Night King.

He's not a Targ, they weren't around when the First Men were around. Targs didn't migrate from Valyria until 7000 years later after the events of the Long Night

lurganblue

Although I can understand some people having certain frustrations with the episode (darkness, hard to ascertain what is going on at times, more probably should have died etc), I can only say from my point of view it was a cracking piece of TV.  I was gripped throughout. 

So far I think the series has went more or less as expected.  Now the march on Kings Landing.  The hound v the mountain. Then surely Jamie does the deed on his sister (no not like that again).   

trailer

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 30, 2019, 11:42:28 AM

He's not a Targ, they weren't around when the First Men were around. Targs didn't migrate from Valyria until 7000 years later after the events of the Long Night

I assume this is in the books? It's certainly not explained in any depth in the show.

Mourne Red

Quote from: trailer on April 30, 2019, 01:18:20 PM

I assume this is in the books? It's certainly not explained in any depth in the show.

It's in the show too, the Children of the forest explain how the Night King was made and I think its Varys or someone in Danys entourage in the early seasons talks about the fall of Valyria and thats when the Targs left and went to Dragonstone and then too conquer Westoros.. Just put the timelines together and there's no chance that the Night King is a Targ.

I expect with the Prequel show being about the First men we will get a backstory on the Night King in it.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 30, 2019, 01:46:32 PM

It's in the show too, the Children of the forest explain how the Night King was made and I think its Varys or someone in Danys entourage in the early seasons talks about the fall of Valyria and thats when the Targs left and went to Dragonstone and then too conquer Westoros.. Just put the timelines together and there's no chance that the Night King is a Targ.

I expect with the Prequel show being about the First men we will get a backstory on the Night King in it.

Is there a prequel? Don't tease us!!

oakleaflad

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 30, 2019, 01:55:42 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on April 30, 2019, 01:46:32 PM

Is there a prequel? Don't tease us!!
Announced a brave while ago Walter, last year sometime i'd say. It's called 'The Long Night'. Actors have already been cast. Naomi Watts is a/the main character.

From HBO: https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/game-of-thrones-prequel-what-to-know

Tyrdub

Not sure if Jon's dragon died? Is there any army left at all? +1

Tyrdub

Quote from: oakleaflad on April 30, 2019, 10:20:46 AM
Some of you are hard to please. Was an unprecedented piece of television.

My main issue was that it was a bit dark when I originally watched it so I changed settings on TV and watched it back last night. My only other gripe was that Jamie, Brienne and Podrick seemed to be stuck against that wall themselves for half the episode. i closed the curtains and turned off all the lights in the room, picture became so much clearer after that

For an 80 minute battle I thought the character moments were still there and done pretty well. (Beric, The Hound, Theon, Jorah, Sansa + Tyrion etc.)

Loved the lighting of the swords and how quickly they were extinguished. Really helped early on to drive home that they couldn't beat the army and had to focus on the night king.

Enjoyed Melisandres not so subtle hint at Arya (Blue eyes) and Lyanna Mormont killing the giant was 100% fan service but enjoyed it none the less.

Most deaths seemed to be to protect someone else (Ed for Sam, Beric for Arya, Theon for Bran, Jorah for Daenerys)

Actually enjoyed that there was chaos. At different stages The Hound, Arya etc. looked like they could give up and be overwhelmed.

Liked that it was Arya and not Jon to kill the Night King. Jon was clean useless btw, running into trouble again and shouting at the dragon yoke at the end.

Apparently the second dragon survived as can be seen in trailer for the next episode.

Looking forward to Cersei's downfall, still think Daenerys could go mad yet.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 30, 2019, 09:31:36 AM

Her contributions were a bit lame too - although the lighting (and extinguishing) of the sword of the Dhotraki hoards made for a great scene - it didn't help them very much in the battle and lighting the trench only held the wights back for about 5 mins...but i suppose she did give an important pep talk to Arya.

I thought the death of the Night King was good. There was quite a few important points in that scene, the significance of the knife, stabbing him in the heart - the only place that would kill him,  Arya dropping and catching the knife like she had done in her spar with Brienne. The Night King could only really be killed in some sort of ambush - it would have been too corny for Jon Snow or anyone else to beat him in a one to one battle as he clearly had too many skills. I just wonder what his ZZ top tribute band of generals were doing when Arya sneaked up on him.

Could she have been one of them??!!