Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Cross are by no means unbeatable in the last two games in the Ulster they have came out and blitzed the teams in the first half but sort of took the foot of the pedal or ran out of steam (whichever way you look at it in the second half) I think if a team is to beat they have to be all over the game for at least 50 of the 60 minutes aka like the Og's in last years Armagh championship. St Gall's came out in the second half and put it up to cross as did Burren but you always felt in both games Cross had the game won. Mc Entee said in his post match interview after the St Gall's game that they hadn't planned as drab as second half performance. I never heard any interviews after yesterdays game but i would say he would be saying something similar. It will take a hell of a good team to beat cross because they are so well drilled. In any game they have the  psychological high ground over their opponents before all games. But these factors can all be overcome. There are teams in the Armagh championship with the potential to do this but as we have seen over the years potential means nothing if you don't delivery. Cross consistently deliver and seem to go unpunished on days when they underperform, a sign of a great team some might say.

IMO they are no longer as strong a team as they were, they are heavily reliant on Mc Conville for scores but Clarke's seems to be immense and a great future prospect but they need more of an attacking threat. As usual they are solid enough at the back in terms of marking and they always seem to have  an option particularly the switching of the ball to a man in acres of space on the far wing. I think the time has come for |MC Entee and Bellew to hang up the boots, not an easy thing to do but it needs to happen as both men particularly Bellew is clearly unfit. (a great servant none the less) whoever beats the cross will have to be on top of their game. But i don't see another period of dominance like the one we have witnessed this past 15 years.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

IVEDECIDED

They will win 3/4 out of the next 10 championships. And they are in an Ulster final for one reason - the standard in Ulster this year has been very poor with many teams having enjoyed their first county title for many years or ever!

This means two things - First they are staisfied with their year and two they dont have any experience in Ulster which Cross have in abundance. St. Galls were the only realistic contenders (although Burren made a vliant effort) and they left their balls in Milltown before they boarded the bus to Cross.

Cross prob cant believe their luck in Ulster this year, I feel any of the 3/4 Armagh teams that could have won the championship would have challenged in Ulster.

crossfire

Quote from: torres on November 15, 2010, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: mackers on November 15, 2010, 04:27:28 PM
Quote from: hound of ulster on November 15, 2010, 03:07:57 PM
have people in armagh underestimated this cross team? I didn,t think they were strong enough to win armagh championship now here they are in ulster final,is there to be another period of dominance in armagh by cross?
I reckon that both Cullyhanna and a full strength Pearse Og team will have a realistic chance of beating Cross next year.
i hope your right as i would hate to see them continue to dominate in armagh

Why.?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on November 15, 2010, 07:09:34 PM
They will win 3/4 out of the next 10 championships. And they are in an Ulster final for one reason - the standard in Ulster this year has been very poor with many teams having enjoyed their first county title for many years or ever!

This means two things - First they are staisfied with their year and two they dont have any experience in Ulster which Cross have in abundance. St. Galls were the only realistic contenders (although Burren made a vliant effort) and they left their balls in Milltown before they boarded the bus to Cross.

Cross prob cant believe their luck in Ulster this year, I feel any of the 3/4 Armagh teams that could have won the championship would have challenged in Ulster.

Gods have definitely been shining on us,  sure St Gall's were tired from their run to the AI, even though the Antrim championship let them tip over nicely without having to get out of 2nd gear.  Burren were scared and have no real quality anyway ::)

Throw ball

Any word yet on where the final will be played?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 15, 2010, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: IVEDECIDED on November 15, 2010, 07:09:34 PM

Gods have definitely been shining on us,  sure St Gall's were tired from their run to the AI, even though the Antrim championship let them tip over nicely without having to get out of 2nd gear.  Burren were scared and have no real quality anyway ::)
They shit themselves for the first 20mins yesterday which was ultimately their undoing!

crossdoesitbest

Everybody trying to find fault with the opposition as to the only reason Cross are in another Ulster final stinks of jealousy and sour grapes. St Galls and Burren did not turn into bad teams overnite but instead came up against a superior outfit and stating that 3 or 4 other teams from Armagh would beat these other county champions is both rubbish and disrespectfull. Maybe someone will come on here and state the obvious. CROSS ARE ACTUALLY A GREAT TEAM!!!!!!!!!!

torres

Quote from: crossfire on November 15, 2010, 07:48:46 PM
Quote from: torres on November 15, 2010, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: mackers on November 15, 2010, 04:27:28 PM
Quote from: hound of ulster on November 15, 2010, 03:07:57 PM
have people in armagh underestimated this cross team? I didn,t think they were strong enough to win armagh championship now here they are in ulster final,is there to be another period of dominance in armagh by cross?
I reckon that both Cullyhanna and a full strength Pearse Og team will have a realistic chance of beating Cross next year.
i hope your right as i would hate to see them continue to dominate in armagh

Why.?
i,d rather see a few teams in the mix rather seeing them continue to dominate as they have been there so long and its getting very tiresome  and as i dont  follow them or like them then i,d rather see a few challengers knock them of their perch .

IVEDECIDED

Quote from: crossdoesitbest on November 15, 2010, 08:23:17 PM
Everybody trying to find fault with the opposition as to the only reason Cross are in another Ulster final stinks of jealousy and sour grapes. St Galls and Burren did not turn into bad teams overnite but instead came up against a superior outfit and stating that 3 or 4 other teams from Armagh would beat these other county champions is both rubbish and disrespectfull. Maybe someone will come on here and state the obvious. CROSS ARE ACTUALLY A GREAT TEAM!!!!!!!!!!

Yes they are but they got harder games against Cullyhanna and Dromintee than against St.Galls and Burren!

Armagh CĂșchulainns

As title suggests, your own opinion on your club (hurling and footballl) from this year and your hopes for your club for next year.

Club Name:    
Armagh Cuchulainns
League Division Status:
Mid to top of Div 1 Hurling league
Champioship Run:    
Beaten finalists
2010 Review:
Seniors reached final for first time since 2005. Beaten but the knock on the door is getting louder every year - might eventually go through!
Competed in every underage champioship final except for u14 but gave the eventual winners toughest game of their c'ship.
Beaten in U18 and U12 but crowned U16 winners.

Hopes for 2011:
Championship success for senior side
Continued development of underage hurling structures
Reinstate championship competition for u12 players.
Its all about the Hurling.

true

Cross aren't responsible for who there opposition is. They can only play the teams they meet, and lets face it a wins a win , if cross win the championship there will be very few of the lads refuse their medal because they didnt have any tough games!!!! credit were credits due

twotwocharlie

Cross can only beat what put in front of them. Cullyhanna had their chance and didn't take it.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on November 15, 2010, 11:50:44 PM

Yes they are but they got harder games against Cullyhanna and Dromintee than against St.Galls and Burren!

Sure they were only going at about half pace, it's a long season and they had to guage their fitness training for the end of November again ;)

crossfire

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on November 15, 2010, 11:50:44 PM

That doesn't mean that either Cullyhanna or Dromintee would have beat both St galls and Burren.

rootthemout

have to give cross the respect due,near 30 competitive games so far this season and only lost once,alot of these games played without county men,they have adapted their style to suit this new team and could well be a forcde again for another decade in armagh!unfortunately ;)