Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarface

'Thought JP Donnelly was outstanding for the OGs'

This just shows you how people see very different things at a football match. I thought he was pretty poor - his man got 'motm', scored at least 2 from play which could have been 4 and was a large part of why cross won...Also his distribution on the ball was not good. He was certainly not outstanding - Greg Loughran played well for Ogs along with M Toner in defense. McKinney's kick outs were poor.

bennydorano

I'm certainly not here to defend JP, but he never misplaced a pass the whole game, thought he was particularly good in the first half.

Candyman

Jp was good on the ball but his main job is a defender which I dont think he did well at all!!!

corn02

Will be very interesting to monitor this Harps team. Alot of yous Harps' men have highlighted the problems of successful minor teams in the past, I am sure yous will be keeping an eye on this team, hopefully it is a different outcome.

Yous would surely be able to give Ulster a rattle, seem quite a small team physically from the one team photo I did see? Fair assumption or deceptive camera?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: corn02 on October 20, 2008, 01:00:37 PM
Will be very interesting to monitor this Harps team. Alot of yous Harps' men have highlighted the problems of successful minor teams in the past, I am sure yous will be keeping an eye on this team, hopefully it is a different outcome.

Yous would surely be able to give Ulster a rattle, seem quite a small team physically from the one team photo I did see? Fair assumption or deceptive camera?

Could be something in that Corn, I remember saying during the semi final that our lads seemed the bigger side, which I felt would auger well given the conditions. COngrats to Harps yesterday but their ease for victory only heightens the regreat that we missed out on a double this weekend.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

corn02

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 20, 2008, 01:03:30 PM

Could be something in that Corn, I remember saying during the semi final that our lads seemed the bigger side, which I felt would auger well given the conditions. COngrats to Harps yesterday but their ease for victory only heightens the regreat that we missed out on a double this weekend.

Good result in Tyrone for you yesterday TAC? I have seen Annaclone a few times this year, decent side too.

Onion Bag

How did your charity game go Corn, Who won? many turn up?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: corn02 on October 20, 2008, 01:06:10 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 20, 2008, 01:03:30 PM

Good result in Tyrone for you yesterday TAC? I have seen Annaclone a few times this year, decent side too.

Well we wouldn't want to be getting too far of ourselves since we wouldn't meet a Tyrone team until a possible final and we'll have 2 very difficult games before that. But yeah Moy going out opens up the Intermediate a bit. I think we can give it a right rattle as I'd assume we're the only division 1 team in the competition and we've beaten every top team in Armagh this year, bar Clans and Cross.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

A I've mentioned a few times this year we thought next year was more realistic for our minors as we've 13 of the starting team again next year, so we will be probably be one of the 'younger' minor teams in the Ulster Club this year.  Hard to know with minors but we'll give it a good go.

Minor manager was telling me last night that Harps & Ogs did end up using the same changing room and when we were leaving the Ogs boys gave our minors a standing round of applause, which was appreciated.

winsamsoon

That was a nice touch benny.

Candyman i think you are spot on there lad with JP Donnelly. He was decent going forward but neglected his defensive duties. There are very few players that can do both to the highest level.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

BerfArmagh

He shoudl never have left the Harps  ;)

billy the kid

Quote from: winsamsoon on October 20, 2008, 11:02:39 AM
Benny i would actually agree with you on Robinson who i thought did fairly well. A few posters are complaining about how Oisin should have walked, I personally didn't see the incident but i did see the Number 30 for the og's strike a dig to the stomach of Mc Conville i think it was. One of the two that were umpiring the bottom end put his hand up and the other guy seen he was doing it and then put his hand up. The ref went over to both of them and after a discussion he produced a yellow card. Oh and by the way the number 30 was also trying to dig at the physio when he came on to treat the player he struck. Now if the umpires told the ref that this lad lifted his hand it should have been a straight red card. So both them decisions would have evened each other out. Granted that young lad wouldn't have had the same impact as mc Conville. But i have been highlighting these inconsistencies on this board for some time and some folk accused me of being bias. I guess it changes when it is your own team on the other end of it. I thought the umpires could have been doing a hell of a lot more yesterday. They are in a better position to see incidents occuring in the full back line ie Francie constantly pulling at Ronan Clarke. They should have been putting the hand up everytime it happened and they never once it was only when the ref saw it that Francie was booked.

As for the actual game i thought it was a typical Cross performance where they just done enough in the first 45 minutes and then stepped it for 10 and the game was over. Donaldson even had time for a fist salute to the crowd with about 5 minutes to go. Cross looked the more direct team. The ogs tended to try and play almost too much football which allowed the Cross to get in and spoil them. This is meat and drink to the Cross. The Og's should have been getting the early ball in particulary in the second half with the wind at their backs. They failed to do this and this is where the game was lost. They could have played till today and they would have won it . All in all though it has to be said it was a galiant effort by some of the lads on the Og's side. Well done to the Cross and harps minors great achievement for both.

I was at the game as a Neutral and It was Tony Kernan he hit and it was a sly dig that Kernan didnt even see coming. It should def have been a straight red.

I Thought the first half was decent in terms of excitement although poor in overall quality.  Some of the passing from both teams was bordering ridiculous and only for Ronan Clarke, JP Donnelly, S Moore and G Loughran who all had good first halfs, the Ogs would have been alot further behind.  (Although JP had a good first half when on the ball he did give JME alot of space at times.
For Cross JME, C Short, and A Kernan had very good first halfs and T Kernan and J Donaldson were also good. Mc Conville was good from frees (the one from 55 Yards with outside of the boot was class) but never featured from play at all.

At half time I thought this could be very tight as Ogs are only a point behind and have a very strong wind behind them.

However Cross totally took over in the second half and totally dominated the middle third winning kick-out after kick-out and break after break.  the twins, J Donaldson, and Francie totally dominated the middle third and when it came to the crunch the Ogs didnt have the stomach or the class for it.  Stupid passes and indirect running were all they had to offer and watching men walk after their opponents highlighed why Cross and not Ogs were going to win. More class, better attitude and stomach for the fight.  

Why the Ogs took of S Moore I dont know as he was having a decent game and had scored 2 good points.  Ross Clarke should have gone as he spent the whole game hiding in the corner waiting on someone to hand him a ball.  I know he is young but when your on a senior team in a championship final a bit of fight and hunger are expected.

Also thought the ref was ok yesterday overall. he missed a couple of things that the linesmen and umpires should have pointed out to him so they werent really his fault, but most of his calls were spot on and he was definately fair.  A few frees were maybe a bit soft for both teams but the majority were stonewall and it has to be pointed out that the amount of pulling and hauling in the game was deadly but both teams were as bad as each other.  The Ogs fans beside us gave the ref awful abuse and were complaining about frees that stevie wonder would see.  Thing it was just a bit of scapegoating when the frustrations got the better of them.

Also seen minor game and was very impressed with Harps and thought their No. 11 had a great game.  Cross keeper let in 2 bad goals and his kick outs before half time led to a couple of points.  But this just added to the gap between the teams and Harps are by far the best Minor team I have seen in Armagh this year on yesterdays performance. They have improved alot every time I have seen them this year and I must admit I didnt think they would beat Cullyhanna in semi but when they did I knew they would be hard to stop in final. Congratulations all involved.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

goh4205

Quote from: billy the kid on October 20, 2008, 02:20:00 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on October 20, 2008, 11:02:39 AM
Benny i would actually agree with you on Robinson who i thought did fairly well. A few posters are complaining about how Oisin should have walked, I personally didn't see the incident but i did see the Number 30 for the og's strike a dig to the stomach of Mc Conville i think it was. One of the two that were umpiring the bottom end put his hand up and the other guy seen he was doing it and then put his hand up. The ref went over to both of them and after a discussion he produced a yellow card. Oh and by the way the number 30 was also trying to dig at the physio when he came on to treat the player he struck. Now if the umpires told the ref that this lad lifted his hand it should have been a straight red card. So both them decisions would have evened each other out. Granted that young lad wouldn't have had the same impact as mc Conville. But i have been highlighting these inconsistencies on this board for some time and some folk accused me of being bias. I guess it changes when it is your own team on the other end of it. I thought the umpires could have been doing a hell of a lot more yesterday. They are in a better position to see incidents occuring in the full back line ie Francie constantly pulling at Ronan Clarke. They should have been putting the hand up everytime it happened and they never once it was only when the ref saw it that Francie was booked.

As for the actual game i thought it was a typical Cross performance where they just done enough in the first 45 minutes and then stepped it for 10 and the game was over. Donaldson even had time for a fist salute to the crowd with about 5 minutes to go. Cross looked the more direct team. The ogs tended to try and play almost too much football which allowed the Cross to get in and spoil them. This is meat and drink to the Cross. The Og's should have been getting the early ball in particulary in the second half with the wind at their backs. They failed to do this and this is where the game was lost. They could have played till today and they would have won it . All in all though it has to be said it was a galiant effort by some of the lads on the Og's side. Well done to the Cross and harps minors great achievement for both.

I was at the game as a Neutral and It was Tony Kernan he hit and it was a sly dig that Kernan didnt even see coming. It should def have been a straight red.

I Thought the first half was decent in terms of excitement although poor in overall quality.  Some of the passing from both teams was bordering ridiculous and only for Ronan Clarke, JP Donnelly, S Moore and G Loughran who all had good first halfs, the Ogs would have been alot further behind.  (Although JP had a good first half when on the ball he did give JME alot of space at times.
For Cross JME, C Short, and A Kernan had very good first halfs and T Kernan and J Donaldson were also good. Mc Conville was good from frees (the one from 55 Yards with outside of the boot was class) but never featured from play at all.

At half time I thought this could be very tight as Ogs are only a point behind and have a very strong wind behind them.

However Cross totally took over in the second half and totally dominated the middle third winning kick-out after kick-out and break after break.  the twins, J Donaldson, and Francie totally dominated the middle third and when it came to the crunch the Ogs didnt have the stomach or the class for it.  Stupid passes and indirect running were all they had to offer and watching men walk after their opponents highlighed why Cross and not Ogs were going to win. More class, better attitude and stomach for the fight.  

Why the Ogs took of S Moore I dont know as he was having a decent game and had scored 2 good points.  Ross Clarke should have gone as he spent the whole game hiding in the corner waiting on someone to hand him a ball.  I know he is young but when your on a senior team in a championship final a bit of fight and hunger are expected.

Also thought the ref was ok yesterday overall. he missed a couple of things that the linesmen and umpires should have pointed out to him so they werent really his fault, but most of his calls were spot on and he was definately fair.  A few frees were maybe a bit soft for both teams but the majority were stonewall and it has to be pointed out that the amount of pulling and hauling in the game was deadly but both teams were as bad as each other.  The Ogs fans beside us gave the ref awful abuse and were complaining about frees that stevie wonder would see.  Thing it was just a bit of scapegoating when the frustrations got the better of them.

Also seen minor game and was very impressed with Harps and thought their No. 11 had a great game.  Cross keeper let in 2 bad goals and his kick outs before half time led to a couple of points.  But this just added to the gap between the teams and Harps are by far the best Minor team I have seen in Armagh this year on yesterdays performance. They have improved alot every time I have seen them this year and I must admit I didnt think they would beat Cullyhanna in semi but when they did I knew they would be hard to stop in final. Congratulations all involved.

Good post Billy, very fair assumption

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

RealSpiritof98