Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Joe

Ogs were 7 up on St Pats tonight when I left with time almost up

armaghniac

I expect the title to go to one of the recent winners. The question is whether the contenders will meet before the final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TacadoirArdMhacha

Senior Championship: St Patrick's 2-4 Pearse Ógs 2-11

The Saturday night lights did not illuminate a vintage performance last weekend as St Patrick's bowed out of the Senior championship in timid fashion. Having put the eventual All-Ireland champions to the pin of their collar last year, hopes were high of another decent run this season but all expectations were dashed as Pearse Ogs deservedly defeated a Cullyhanna side who produced a very mediocre display.

The warning signs were apparent in the very early stages as Pearse Ogs swept through the Cullyhanna defence to kick a score after only a minute. Paul Duffy doubled the Armagh team's advantage with a magnificent score five minutes in. St Pat's were very wasteful in the opening stages, squandering a number of opportunities. It was to take 11 minutes for Cullyhanna to register their first point, through a Robbie Tasker free. The next score was a major one as a ball in from Eoin McArdle was grabbed by Robbie Tasker who effortlessly rounded the hapless Pearse Ogs goalkeeper before finishing to the net. Goals are often at a premium in championship football and St Pat's would have hoped to build on this score but Pearse Ogs had different ideas. The Armagh city men took a mere three minute to entirely cancel out the major score as they kicked three unanswered points. The needless concession of a free on 26 minutes put the Ogs further clear before a perfectly executed Robbie Tasker 45 brought Cullyhanna back within the minimum. But Pearse Ogs were to have the final say in a somewhat lacklustre first half when direct tactics paid dividends in the form of a point.

With the half time score standing at 0-7 to 1-2 in favour of the Ogs the game was most certainly in the balance. The first half was quite even throughout however Pearse Ogs were the much the more the clinical side and were good value for their slim advantage.

The second period commenced in controversial circumstances as Robbie Tasker profited from a long pass. Tasker's shot appeared to perfectly dissect the uprights however the umpire failed to award the point which the majority of the crowd were convinced Cullyhanna had scored. Consultation with the umpires and linesman failed to change the referee's mind and so the score did not stand. Three minutes in, St Pat's took the lead when a Eugene Casey found Kieran Hoey in an unusual amount of space close to goal. A great finish set the Pearse Ogs net bulging and put Cullyhanna into the lead by a point. The opportunity to increase the lead presented itself on a couple of occasions however scores proved hard to come by. A Pearse Ogs free levelled maters before a great fetch from Mal Mackin at midfield initiated an attack which involved Liam O'Hare and resulted in a fine Kieran Hoey point. 12 minutes in an excellent Pearse Og move created a goal for the Armagh men but midway through the half Kieran Hoey combined with Liam O'Hare to allow the former to fire over his second point of the game. With 13 minutes remaining and only a point separating the sides, the definitive moment of the match arrived as a Pearse Ogs attacker soloed through on goal. The tackle from Micky Murray appeared to a clean one winning possession outside the penalty area yet the referee decided to award a penalty. Despite the fact that his hesitation meant that counsel was sought from both umpires, the penalty stood and when the kick was converted, St Pat's were left facing an uphill battle. Facing a four point deficit, the task was no doubt a difficult one however the manner in which the remaining minutes were approached left much to be desired. Not a single score was added to the St Pat's total as the side appeared to accept defeat as their lot with much too little indignation. Three late points from Pearse Ogs meant that the match petered out into a comfortable victory for the 2009 county champions on a scoreline of 2-11 to 2-4.

While the final score certainly suggests that Cullyhanna were comprehensively defeated, there is perhaps a deeper story behind the bare statistics of the scoreboard. No doubt Pearse Ogs finished deserving victors but the match was very much in the balance prior to the hotly disputed penalty. The facts of the match tell their own story however and with only two points from play and two scorers in total, it is difficult to make a convincing case suggesting that St Pat's deserved further progress. 2011 will now be condemned a season of frustration during which no progress was really made. It falls on all those involved in the team to refresh over the winter and approach 2012 with a renewed sense of commitment and vigour.

Starting XV: C O'Neill; P McKeever, S Reel, M Murray; E McArdle, P McCreesh, N McShane; B McConville, M Mackin; L O'Hare, E Casey, R Tasker (1-2); C McKeever, G McCooey, K Hoey (1-2) Sub used: S McKeever

ACL Division 4: St Patrick's 1-13 O'Hanlon's 3-6

This match was expected to a be comfortable outing for a St Patrick's side preparing for a championship semi-final however the facile victory expected did not materialise as O'Hanlons belied their lowly league position by outplaying the Cullyhanna men for large portions of this match.

O'Hanlon's were first to register a point and although Brendan Murray replied almost immediately for Cullyhanna with a score to level matters. Poor defending was almost to prove Cullyhanna's downfall as O'Hanlon's took advantage of their opponent's generous marking to register two goal in the opening 11 minutes. Points from Cathal O'Neill and Patsy McKeever came between these scores however midway through the match, the visitors led by four points. A magnificent solo run from Paul Donnelly allowed the defender to kick a score himself before O'Hanlon's scored again. Brendan Nugent's goalbound effort was pushed over the bar while another Cathal O'Neill point brought Cullyhanna within two. O'Hanlon's completed the half's scoring with a point to secure a deserved half-time lead on a scoreline of 2-3 to 0-6.

The second half began as a fairly even affair as two O'Hanlon' points were each responded to by Cullyhanna scores from Kevin Toner and Francie Nugent. Trailing by 3 points heading into the final third, an upset looked firmly on the cards however the introduction of Owen Carragher steadied the Cullyhanna ship somewhat as Carragher pointed from long range. A great burst from Peter Loughran allowed Cathal O'Neill to decrease the deficit to the minimum with a point. With 10 minutes remaining Cullyhanna drew level thanks to a Brendan Murray point. Paul Donnelly's second score put his side in the lead however those who expected O'Hanlon's to capitulate at this point were in for a rude awakening when a great run and point brought the Poyntzpass men level again. Brendan Murray edged his side into the lead before an O'Hanlon's goal from a long ball looked to have sealed Cullyhanna's fate. To be fair to St Pat's, whatever the deficiencies in their performance, their spirit was unquestioned as they poured forward in droves in search of another score. Right at the death, a crossed ball from Brendan Nugent found Christy Thompson and the wing half-back made no mistake in rattling the net to secure St Pat's a barely deserved victory.

This was certainly a far from wonderful performance from a side who will have to improve immeasurably before their championship semi-final. That said, they showed remarkable composure to create the winning goal and similar battling qualities will be required in the final matches if promotion is to be achieved. With 9 individuals managing at least one score, there are certainly some positives to take from this match.

Scorers: B Murray (0-3) C O'Neill (0-3) C Thompson (1-0) P Donnelly (0-2) P McKeever (0-1) F Nugent (0-1) O Carragher (0-1) K Toner (0-1) B Nugent (0-1)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pearseog

Quote from: Orior on September 04, 2011, 09:23:12 PM
Good report Tac.

il second that. agree with you on all the big calls against you aswell. tasker's was a point and the penalty looked a clean tackle (however i am patiently waiting the highlights to be posted up on youtube by armaghtv for confirmation).

we could argue about the 45 towards the end of the first half which didn't go out of play. tasker went on to convert the 45. so that decision sort of cancels out tasker's "point that wasn't".

however, we have had more than our fair share of gripes with refereeing performances in the past so its good to be on the right side of decisions for a change.

hard luck st.pat's. the nucleas of a good team there and if you can keep that together i'm sure they will be a force in the coming years.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: pearseog on September 04, 2011, 11:07:37 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 04, 2011, 09:23:12 PM
Good report Tac.

il second that. agree with you on all the big calls against you aswell. tasker's was a point and the penalty looked a clean tackle (however i am patiently waiting the highlights to be posted up on youtube by armaghtv for confirmation).

we could argue about the 45 towards the end of the first half which didn't go out of play. tasker went on to convert the 45. so that decision sort of cancels out tasker's "point that wasn't".

however, we have had more than our fair share of gripes with refereeing performances in the past so its good to be on the right side of decisions for a change.

hard luck st.pat's. the nucleas of a good team there and if you can keep that together i'm sure they will be a force in the coming years.

Well that's a fair point with regards to the 45. To my mind the penalty was still the defining moment in the match. For whatever reason our lads threw in the towel after the goal but until that decision there was only a point between the teams.

Ogs looked a decent side in any event. A bit of improvement left to make to match Cross but certainly they have reason to be hopeful.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armagh leg-end

Madden 50K Cycle will take place on SATURDAY 10TH SEPTEMBER at 4pm leaving from the Community Centre.

Entry is £20 per person and a huge turnout is expected.

Refreshments will be served afterwards.

Any enquiries contact BJ on 07795631883. All proceeds to Madden Youth.
Ard Mhacha Abu

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2011, 09:33:24 PM
That's a serious kicking!! scored as many goals as Harps. Cross looking unstoppable again

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2011, 11:37:55 PM
Ulster Champions again I'd say. Great team and they lay down the marker for the rest

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good one Milltown Row. Aye, Cross will buy into that alright ;)

Did somebody leave the lid off your marker and let it dry up after Moneyglass (+22) and St Brigid's (+10)?  ::)

crossfire

Cullyhanna have now been deprived of championship progress two years in succession due to poor refereeing decisions. :)

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Shortso79

B'nab must have won....

Semi Final Draw is

Cross v Ogs

G'More v B'Nab

KIDDO 4

Ballymacnab 4.12  Clann na Gael 0.4

Onion Bag

A big win from the nab, still can't work out if the nab were good or clans were shite on the nite. An awful night for football
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

armaghniac

QuoteB'nab must have won....

you could say that
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B