Smallest club or clubs in each county

Started by SCFC, January 21, 2017, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Horse Box on January 24, 2017, 07:13:16 PM
Knock , just outside Roscrea , play in the Mid Tipp Division . The Parish is Kyle and Knock but most of the Parish ( Kyle and Ballaghmore are in Laois , where Kyle is the GAA Club ) . Very small catchment area !

Killea, outside templemore, must be very small in Tipp terms as well.

Horse Box

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2017, 12:33:44 PM
Quote from: Horse Box on January 24, 2017, 07:13:16 PM
Knock , just outside Roscrea , play in the Mid Tipp Division . The Parish is Kyle and Knock but most of the Parish ( Kyle and Ballaghmore are in Laois , where Kyle is the GAA Club ) . Very small catchment area !

Killea, outside templemore, must be very small in Tipp terms as well.

True , both play Junior B . Colin O`Riordan is from Killea but played with Brackens . And Tom Hamill was with Killea but now with Moyne Templetouhy .

AZOffaly

Yeah, was there some chat about the O'Riordans transferring to Killea recently? I remember Hamill as a minor centre back being from Killea, and then moving on. Pity for them, but I suppose he's thinking of playing senior hurling.

They have nice facilities there, pitch and dressing rooms, for a junior B club with such small numbers. We used them a couple of times for challenges when Offaly come down.

Horse Box

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 25, 2017, 02:10:12 PM
Yeah, was there some chat about the O'Riordans transferring to Killea recently? I remember Hamill as a minor centre back being from Killea, and then moving on. Pity for them, but I suppose he's thinking of playing senior hurling.

They have nice facilities there, pitch and dressing rooms, for a junior B club with such small numbers. We used them a couple of times for challenges when Offaly come down.

Seemly 3 of them looked to and it was sanctioned but the Transfer Form wasn`t returned !

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Daddy_Cool on January 25, 2017, 12:29:52 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2017, 03:55:06 AM
Ballygar on the border with Roscommon has a population of about 640 I think. Glinsk football club also on the border with the Rossies must also have a very small population base encompassing the area of Creggs/Ballymoe.

Actually Glenamaddy only has a population of 516. Thought it would be more. Caltra must also have a very small population.

Glinsk are completely separate from both Ballymoe and Creggs.

Ballymoe share a parish with Ballintubber in Roscommon and play together in that county as St Croans.

Creggs and Glinsk share the parish of Kilbegnet and once played together. They split, with Creggs staying in Roscommon and Glinsk moving to Galway. Glinsk makes up about 2/3 of that parish population wise. All of Creggs' players come from a single two teacher national school. They're about the same size as Tremane hurling club and indeed their players have traditionally played hurling there.

So Glinsk, likely the smallest football club in Galway, and Creggs, the smallest in Ros, are from the same parish.
Kilteevan have a smaller catchment

Fuerty lads might play with Tremane, nobody from Creggs does. They might play hurling with Ballygar, at a stretch

seafoid

Eyrecourt , trading as Meelick Eyrecourt, has 292 in the parish. I think the legendary Brendan Lynshkey who played for Galway in the 80s was from the club.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 25, 2017, 06:42:27 PM
Eyrecourt , trading as Meelick Eyrecourt, has 292 in the parish. I think the legendary Brendan Lynshkey who played for Galway in the 80s was from the club.

He was indeed. Mad hoors them lads.  Just the other side of the bridge in Banagher.

Stall the Bailer

I'd say Dregish and Killyman would be the smallest in Tyrone.
With likes of Gortin, Glenelly, Clann na nGael not far behind.

Plain of the Herbs

Seir Kieran (Offaly) had a population of 492 in the 2011 census. They fielded three adult hurling teams in recent years, making the maximum use of scarce resources.

Someone mentioned Lusmagh earlier - their population was 544 in 2011.

Someone else mentioned Eyrecourt's population.  They stated a very small number that presumably doesn't include Meelick, Clonfert, Esker (Kilmacshane) etc.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on January 25, 2017, 07:53:09 PM

Dunno if you could include Glenelly and defo not Gortin (sure would Greencastle not be smaller?), they both have solid little villages with decent sized hinterlands

Would also say Owens Roes is smaller than Clan na Gael

Could also throw in
Eskra, Derrytresk,

Wat about Rock and Brackaville? Easties? always thought they had a pretty small pick

Stall the Bailer

Was thinking on primary school size, and teams not able to field at youth level on their own.
Owen roes takes in part of Strabane afaik and the primary school in cloughcor would be one of the biggest in the area. All the others mentioned could have year groups where there might only be 1 or 2 boys in it

Croí na hÉireann

Might have been a legend on the pitch but as ignorant a bollox you could meet off it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Plain of the Herbs

Just checked and the 2011 census tells us Meelick-Eyrecourt has 1,434 in the parish.  That's made up of Eyrecourt 454, Clonfert 457, Meelick 278 and Kilmacshane 245.

Horse Box

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 26, 2017, 09:32:44 AM

Might have been a legend on the pitch but as ignorant a bollox you could meet off it.

Heard that a long time ago .

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 25, 2017, 09:09:42 PM
Quote from: Stall the Bailer on January 25, 2017, 07:53:09 PM

Dunno if you could include Glenelly and defo not Gortin (sure would Greencastle not be smaller?), they both have solid little villages with decent sized hinterlands

Would also say Owens Roes is smaller than Clan na Gael

Could also throw in
Eskra, Derrytresk,

Wat about Rock and Brackaville? Easties? always thought they had a pretty small pick

Rock would be a decent enough sized club and parish. Brackaville is a good shout.

Derrytresk came to my mind actually.