Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Sour grapes from Arlene after the Fermanagh team lost to Dungannon?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: LeoMc on September 21, 2020, 04:42:52 PM
Sour grapes from Arlene after the Fermanagh team lost to Dungannon?

She's not happy Dungannon trained through lockdown.

tbrick18

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 21, 2020, 01:40:23 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on September 21, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 11:47:51 AM
QuoteKilcoo had 8 or 9 attempts at winning an Ulster in 11 years before they finally landed one.
Scotstown have had 5 attempts in 7 years at winning one and haven't landed one.
Cross come out in Armagh pretty much every year.
Derrygonnelly have dominated Fermanagh.
Derry has been a duopoly for the past decade.
Antrim and Cavan clubs generally ship some heavy beatings since Galls have regressed.

Your arguments seem to change. Three different donegal clubs have made it to finals (with Gaoth dobhair being the only winner) plus Kilcar weren't far away from the semi one year. That's not missing the point - that's you changing the point  ;D Donegal are a fine example there too as they have multiple clubs competitive.

What does that make the donegal championship?

You have the most competitive championship but to be honest no one will ever know does that make it the highest standard. The results in ulster wouldn't suggest so but who knows.
All opinions, I don't think anyone doubts how competitive Tyrone club football is. I don't think that it's the highest standard though. Dungannon wouldn't get near winning the Derry championship imo. I'd have 3 or 4, possibly even half a dozen teams stronger in Derry.

There is the same, on their day in Tyrone. It's fine margins as their whole championship run showed.

Dungannon might not win the Derry championship, but no way are there 5 or 6 teams better than them in Derry.
General quality of club football in Derry is poor.
Tyrone is the same.
However, this is what makes it competitive. Generally anyone can beat anyone.
The difference between Derry and Tyrone club football at the moment is that I think there are more individual talents in Tyrone but they are spread across many teams. This makes for a competitive championship, but not very high in quality. In Derry, with the exception of Slaughtneil, and to a lesser extent magherafelt there's not many real stand out players.
Slaughtneil have some, hence their dominance but generally it's very competitive due to the poor standard.

Tyrone county is able to pull the individuals onto a county team. Derry don't have the luxury or that quality of player, imo.

Under Lights

Any word of viewing figures for the live stream?

rrhf

Would there be a consideration that club championship winners in 2020 are allowed to play in An enlarged Ulster club in 21

oakleaflad

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 22, 2020, 01:08:00 AM
QuoteKilcoo had 8 or 9 attempts at winning an Ulster in 11 years before they finally landed one.
Antrim and Cavan clubs generally ship some heavy beatings since Galls have regressed.

Your arguments seem to change. Three different donegal clubs have made it to finals (with Gaoth dobhair being the only winner) plus Kilcar weren't far away from the semi one year. That's not missing the point - that's you changing the point  ;D Donegal are a fine example there too as they have multiple clubs competitive.

You have the most competitive championship but to be honest no one will ever know does that make it the highest standard. The results in ulster wouldn't suggest so but who knows.
All opinions, I don't think anyone doubts how competitive Tyrone club football is. I don't think that it's the highest standard though. Dungannon wouldn't get near winning the Derry championship imo. I'd have 3 or 4, possibly even half a dozen teams stronger in Derry.

There is the same, on their day in Tyrone. It's fine margins as their whole championship run showed.

Dungannon might not win the Derry championship, but no way are there 5 or 6 teams better than them in Derry.
Tyrone is the same.
The difference between Derry and Tyrone club football at the moment is that I think there are more individual talents in Tyrone but they are spread across many teams. This makes for a competitive championship, but not very high in quality. In Derry, with the exception of Slaughtneil, and to a lesser extent magherafelt there's not many real stand out players.
Slaughtneil have some, hence their dominance but generally it's very competitive due to the poor standard.

Tyrone county is able to pull the individuals onto a county team. Derry don't have the luxury or that quality of player, imo.
Sure it's all about opinions but i'd definitely have Slaughtneil, Magherafelt and Glen better than them. And probably Swatragh, Ballinderry, Coleraine and The Loup too.

Also saying Derry has been a duopoly is nonsense, from 2009-2019 The Loup, Coleraine x2 and Magherafelt have won as well.

Angelo

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 22, 2020, 10:26:54 AM

Tyrone is the same.

Sure it's all about opinions but i'd definitely have Slaughtneil, Magherafelt and Glen better than them. And probably Swatragh, Ballinderry, Coleraine and The Loup too.

Also saying Derry has been a duopoly is nonsense, from 2009-2019 The Loup, Coleraine x2 and Magherafelt have won as well.

For the past decade, Derry has pretty much been a duopoly.

Ballinderry and Slaughtneil won 7 on the trot between them, a 4IAR hot on the heels of a 3IAR.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

general_lee

Is Tyrone the only county that does straight knock out in Ulster? Armagh brought it back in this year and there were shocks across senior and intermediate.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Angelo on September 22, 2020, 10:37:39 AM

Tyrone is the same.

Ballinderry and Slaughtneil won 7 on the trot between them, a 4IAR hot on the heels of a 3IAR.
I've just pointed out other clubs who won in around that decade. A Coleraine team featuring many of the same players won a championship either side of those and to say it's been a duopoly this past decade would be an injustice to that side in particular.

Angelo

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 22, 2020, 10:53:53 AM

Tyrone is the same.

I've just pointed out other clubs who won in around that decade. A Coleraine team featuring many of the same players won a championship either side of those and to say it's been a duopoly this past decade would be an injustice to that side in particular.

And I've just pointed out that Ballinderry and Slaughtneil have won 7IAR in the last decade between them.

To say it's a duopoly fits with the facts, two clubs have dominated Derry football for the past decade, outside of those two clubs, the rest doesn't look great. Derry clubs have also tended to fair very poorly at intermediate level.

The difference between club football in Derry and Tyrone is the quality is very heavily stacked towards a handful of clubs in Derry where it is a meritocracy in Tyrone.

The quality of club football in Tyrone is of a very high standard, you can see it from the coverage of the club championship this year.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Angelo on September 22, 2020, 11:37:55 AM

Tyrone is the same.

And I've just pointed out that Ballinderry and Slaughtneil have won 7IAR in the last decade between them.

To say it's a duopoly fits with the facts, two clubs have dominated Derry football for the past decade, outside of those two clubs, the rest doesn't look great. Derry clubs have also tended to fair very poorly at intermediate level.

The difference between club football in Derry and Tyrone is the quality is very heavily stacked towards a handful of clubs in Derry where it is a meritocracy in Tyrone.

The quality of club football in Tyrone is of a very high standard, you can see it from the coverage of the club championship this year.
It doesn't fit with the facts. A decade isn't 7 years. Amazed I have to point this out.

Derry clubs have been above average at Intermediate level historically, only Tyrone and Monaghan clubs have won more. A Derry club were the first to win 2 Ulster Intermediate titles.

tbrick18

Tyrone is the same.

True, in Derry there are a handful of clubs with the quality that most others just don't have. Most counties are like this.
I'd argue that the quality of football in Tyrone is of a poor standard, but that it is very competitive as there are no clubs head and shoulders about the rest. Competitiveness should not be confused with quality.
If the quality of Tyrone club football was so good, they should do better in the Ulster and AI club championship.
I've seen a lot of Tyrone and Derry club games this year and had the pleasure of being at the Tyrone final at the weekend.
With the exception of some individual talents on both teams, the actual quality was not particularly high. Look at the score over the whole game with extra time.

In my opinion, the quality of club football in Tyrone and Derry is generally poor. Derry have had a couple of exceptional club teams in recent years, whereas Tyrone have had some exceptional players spread across many clubs. I think this goes part of the way towards explaining the gap in the intercounty teams also.
Derry's best players are generally tied up with their club, but Tyrone are able to draw on their players from across many clubs.
It's like comparing apples and oranges.
However, if Dungannon were to play Slaughtneil tomorrow (still seem to be the benchmark even though Magherafelt are currently Derry champions), I'd fancy Slaughtneil to win. If Dungannon were to play any other team in Derry, I think I'd slightly fancy Dungannon.

Angelo

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 22, 2020, 12:12:49 PM

Tyrone is the same.

True, in Derry there are a handful of clubs with the quality that most others just don't have. Most counties are like this.
I'd argue that the quality of football in Tyrone is of a poor standard, but that it is very competitive as there are no clubs head and shoulders about the rest. Competitiveness should not be confused with quality.
If the quality of Tyrone club football was so good, they should do better in the Ulster and AI club championship.
I've seen a lot of Tyrone and Derry club games this year and had the pleasure of being at the Tyrone final at the weekend.
With the exception of some individual talents on both teams, the actual quality was not particularly high. Look at the score over the whole game with extra time.

In my opinion, the quality of club football in Tyrone and Derry is generally poor. Derry have had a couple of exceptional club teams in recent years, whereas Tyrone have had some exceptional players spread across many clubs. I think this goes part of the way towards explaining the gap in the intercounty teams also.
Derry's best players are generally tied up with their club, but Tyrone are able to draw on their players from across many clubs.
It's like comparing apples and oranges.
However, if Dungannon were to play Slaughtneil tomorrow (still seem to be the benchmark even though Magherafelt are currently Derry champions), I'd fancy Slaughtneil to win. If Dungannon were to play any other team in Derry, I think I'd slightly fancy Dungannon.

It's not as if Tyrone clubs are out of their depth in Ulster, Omagh were eeked out by an injury time point in 2014/15 against Slaughtneil in the Ulster final which they were probably the better team in. Whoever comes out of Tyrone is always competitive in Ulster, rarely do they ever take a beating, think the worst in recent years was Killyclogher losing by 6 to Slaughtneil (Slaughtneil won the Derry Championship final by 11 points the same year).

Omagh lost by 2 to Slaugtneil a few years later
Coalisland lost by 2 to Cross
Trillick lost by 2 to Scotstown and on penalties to Derrygonnelly.

You'd have a point if Tyrone teams were going up against the likes of Kilcoo, Cross, Scotstown and Slaughtneil and shipping heavy beatings on a regular basis but they're not.

Tyrone could put about 8/9 clubs into the Ulster Championship who could give any team a good competitive game in it. If you put the 4th/5th best team in Derry in there, they'd like take a comprehensive beating against a Cross or Kilcoo.

Dungannon were 33/1 to win the Tyrone Championship this year, in terms of quality and this may be disingenuous to them but I'd say they're probably outside the top 5 teams at least.

From 2004-2017, 14 Ulster titles were shared between the same 4 clubs so it has hardly been a case of Tyrone clubs being left behind by others when 4 clubs have dominated the scene.

clarshack

Another indicator of how strong Tyrone club football is that Edendork could have won the senior championship 2 years ago, only for Niall Morgan getting a black card they would have beaten Coalisland in the semi-final. On the day of the final Killyclogher were poor enough so it was a real missed opportunity for them. The fact that they were relegated to Intermediate the following season shows that there are no weak teams in senior football. Intermediate and Junior clubs from Tyrone regularly do well in Ulster, so from top to bottom Tyrone is stronger than most counties. And only for Kerry cheating the system there would be more all-ireland clubs in Tyrone.

GetOverTheBar

Actually I really like the Kerry system - I think the idea that anyone can win a SFC no matter what club they may hail from is a great equaliser.

Would stop certain clubs from their current antics.