China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Going to a pub, with a time limit, spaced apart from others, having to wear a mask when moving around, constant cleaning, track & trace and table-service only?

Versus tesco, people travelling from 6/7 mile radius, no one staying spaced apart, people not wearing masks, people lifting things and putting them down, people handling trolleys/baskets, going to the self service check out which I haven't seen once being cleaned despite being touched constantly...

Not saying pubs should or shouldn't be open, but they're not the worst source of spreading the virus. The more you limit the number of places people can go the more they are going to be concentrated in places they can go. And that includes house parties.

armaghniac

Quote from: Taylor on December 04, 2020, 12:31:45 PM
Having a conversation with a work colleague and I said, like many on here, that I believe pubs should be shut.

The response was that they have been shut for almost 7 months and the virus is still spreading - yet next week everything is allowed to open bar pubs.

He had a point the more I thought about it

He doesn't have a point. You close the places which have the highest risk of transmitting the virus. That the virus still spreads is not a reason to open pubs it is a reason to look at the operation of other activities.

Quote from: general_lee on December 04, 2020, 12:48:19 PM
Versus tesco, people travelling from 6/7 mile radius, no one staying spaced apart, people not wearing masks, people lifting things and putting them down, people handling trolleys/baskets, going to the self service check out which I haven't seen once being cleaned despite being touched constantly...

I'm not sure which Tesco you go to, but in mine people by and large stay apart rightly. But the point is that you do not go to Tesco to meet people, you can avoid them if you want to. People claim to want to go to the pub to meet people, which is precisely what transmits the virus.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Going to a pub, with a time limit, spaced apart from others, having to wear a mask when moving around, constant cleaning, track & trace and table-service only?

Not saying pubs should or shouldn't be open, but they're not the worst source of spreading the virus. The more you limit the number of places people can go the more they are going to be concentrated in places they can go. And that includes house parties.
I'm not sure what supermarket/s you're going to but it's a long time since I've seen a customer not wearing a mask in a supermarket

The one I frequent has perspex screens and hand sanitiser available and spaced out queueing

My experience is that customers are by and large pretty responsible in terms of distancing

I feel about as safe as it's possible to be there under the circumstances, far safer than I would in a pub

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on December 04, 2020, 01:14:23 PM
Quote from: Taylor on December 04, 2020, 12:31:45 PM
Having a conversation with a work colleague and I said, like many on here, that I believe pubs should be shut.

The response was that they have been shut for almost 7 months and the virus is still spreading - yet next week everything is allowed to open bar pubs.

He had a point the more I thought about it

He doesn't have a point. You close the places which have the highest risk of transmitting the virus. That the virus still spreads is not a reason to open pubs it is a reason to look at the operation of other activities.

I'm not sure which Tesco you go to, but in mine people by and large stay apart rightly. But the point is that you do not go to Tesco to meet people, you can avoid them if you want to. People claim to want to go to the pub to meet people, which is precisely what transmits the virus.
Interacting with people spreads the virus whether you know them or not. It's all about perception. You think just because your 24 hour Tesco extra is a large space and people are spread out that *hundreds* of them aren't touching the escalator, the self service checkouts, baskets/trolleys, products on shelves etc every day.

GetOverTheBar

Basically you guys are saying you are happy to accept the risk from virtually everything else open.

But not "Wet Pubs".

That really makes no sense lads. I'm not on a wind up here I'm just struggling to fathom how we've got to the point where people will be absolutely steaming this coming Friday and Saturday at bars that serve a sausage roll (and....lets be honest, you know its happening) and that is considered fine. Yet some poor soul out in the middle of the country can't open because they don't serve food.

sid waddell

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 04, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
Basically you guys are saying you are happy to accept the risk from virtually everything else open.

But not "Wet Pubs".

That really makes no sense lads. I'm not on a wind up here I'm just struggling to fathom how we've got to the point where people will be absolutely steaming this coming Friday and Saturday at bars that serve a sausage roll (and....lets be honest, you know its happening) and that is considered fine. Yet some poor soul out in the middle of the country can't open because they don't serve food.
People have to go to shops to buy food, life doesn't just stop, people have to eat

However they don't have to go the pub

GetOverTheBar

Shops have never closed.

I'm talking about everything that was closed, that is now open all of a sudden.

imtommygunn

You could apply that rationale to cafes and restaurants though.

armaghniac

Quote from: general_lee on December 04, 2020, 01:34:04 PM
Interacting with people spreads the virus whether you know them or not. It's all about perception. You think just because your 24 hour Tesco extra is a large space and people are spread out that *hundreds* of them aren't touching the escalator, the self service checkouts, baskets/trolleys, products on shelves etc every day.

I know, which is why I slather my hands with sanitiser and wash my hands when I come home from Tesco.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Quote from: armaghniac on December 04, 2020, 02:32:19 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 04, 2020, 01:34:04 PM

I know, which is why I slather my hands with sanitiser and wash my hands when I come home from Tesco.
Other people don't though.

Jeepers Creepers

Economy aside. I still don't understand why people would want to sit in a confined space bar or restaurant umasked with a crowd for a prolonged period during a pandemic.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 04, 2020, 04:05:53 PM
Economy aside. I still don't understand why people would want to sit in a confined space bar or restaurant umasked with a crowd for a prolonged period during a pandemic.

+1

"Mental health" or something probably
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

6th sam

Quote from: Saffrongael on December 04, 2020, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 04, 2020, 04:05:53 PM

+1

"Mental health" or something probably

Everyone can understand concerns re bars/restaurants but there are many facets to this argument. Dismissing "mental health" as a concern and/or trivialising it, makes no sense