The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: AQMP on March 15, 2018, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2018, 04:44:24 PM
@FrankGreaney

Mr. Kelly QC tells jurors: "You decide where the truth lies. Consistencies are the hallmark of truth. Liars deviate".

What if you lie consistently?

I take it he was referring the the complainant there, but it could apply to the defendants as well!

It mostly applies to the defendants. If the jury have been listening to their stories carefully that line will have went over like a lead balloon.

David McKeown

Quote from: AQMP on March 15, 2018, 05:08:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2018, 04:44:24 PM
@FrankGreaney

Mr. Kelly QC tells jurors: "You decide where the truth lies. Consistencies are the hallmark of truth. Liars deviate".

What if you lie consistently?

I assume the context of this soundbite was after some discussion of the complainant given nf different versions of what happened to the doctor, her friend, police and in the witness box whereas the guys gave the same account to police and in the box?  Very odd comment if not.

I take it he was referring the the complainant there, but it could apply to the defendants as well!
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

brokencrossbar1

A friend was in for the speeches today. Said the speech by prosecution was outstanding and closed an awful lot of holes but she still thinks it's looking like a not guilty.

Keyser soze

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 05:32:41 PM
A friend was in for the speeches today. Said the speech by prosecution was outstanding and closed an awful lot of holes but she still thinks it's looking like a not guilty.

Well no need to take any heed of what she said..it's clear she  is a rape apologist.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Keyser soze on March 15, 2018, 06:37:39 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 05:32:41 PM

Well no need to take any heed of what she said..it's clear she  is a rape apologist.

Funny thing is she's a prosecutor!!!

Milltown Row2

My brother in law says the jury would have made their mind up before this, generally never change
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 06:49:39 PM
My brother in law says the jury would have made their mind up before this, generally never change

Juries are funny things. I would agree with you most times but this isn't a normal trial. I'd say 7-8 of them have but there's stills a bit of  waivering.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 06:59:53 PM

Juries are funny things. I would agree with you most times but this isn't a normal trial. I'd say 7-8 of them have but there's stills a bit of  waivering.
Remind me again how the scores work. To get sent down does it just require a majority verdict of whatever number of jurors are left?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2018, 07:12:17 PM

Remind me again how the scores work. To get sent down does it just require a majority verdict of whatever number of jurors are left?

Normally unanimous but it can be a majority verdict if, as would be the case in this one, 10 was the majority. I'm not 100% on that so don't hold me to it!!! I'm only a litigator these days!!!

Look-Up!

Was very much on the fence with this trial before the lads testimony. It looked like a case of he said she said but their stories just don't add up. Also while I had been reading the newspaper reports I'll admit I hadn't been following religiously. But just read this today for the first time which is a transcript of texts between the girl and her mate the morning after. It's from the mirror and a month old. I also cannot find the transcript being carried anywhere else by another news site but it's very disturbing reading and ties in with a lot of the other evidence and texts and has certainly got me leaning towards believing the girl.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby-union/rugby-rape-trial-paddy-jackson-12027425

David McKeown

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 07:44:39 PM

Normally unanimous but it can be a majority verdict if, as would be the case in this one, 10 was the majority. I'm not 100% on that so don't hold me to it!!! I'm only a litigator these days!!!

Initially a unanimous verdict will be required. If that's not possible after a few hours of deliberations the jury will be called back in and told a majority verdict will be accepted.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: David McKeown on March 15, 2018, 08:12:24 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 07:44:39 PM

Initially a unanimous verdict will be required. If that's not possible after a few hours of deliberations the jury will be called back in and told a majority verdict will be accepted.

That's what I thought.

Tony Baloney

Well it's not going to be unanimous that's for sure.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2018, 08:31:27 PM

And to be a majority it has to be 10 out of 11 so I'm not sure if they'll get that.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 08:56:34 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2018, 08:31:27 PM

And to be a majority it has to be 10 out of 11 so I'm not sure if they'll get that.
Nope. Would be very surprised.