Boxing

Started by passedit, April 30, 2007, 12:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Laoch

They reflexes look like they've faded big style on Magee alright, though yet again he didn't press when he had opportunities. It probably SHOULD be the last we see of him boxing but I dont think the guy has any other way of making money and I expect he may box on for a few paydays yet.

I really hope McCullough doesn't return. As someone said, he just wasn't world class enough over the last 10 years and has kind of got out of jail in that he is still coherent after some of the pumellings he took.

Duddy, Lee and Dunne are three quality boxers and I'd hope all 3 of them can become world top 10 fighters in their divisions over the next 3-4 years.

As for the ESPN top 50 list, I think Lennox Lewis would have beaten about 40 of those guys, particularly the featherweights ;)

Tyrones own

Quote from: passedit on May 12, 2007, 12:45:37 AM
A top 50 without Lewis says more about ESPN than Lewis though:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/greatest/featureVideo?page=greatest150
The final list

1. Sugar Ray Robinson Video ESPN Video Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas on the list ESPN Video
2. Muhammad Ali Video ESPN Video
3. Henry Armstrong Video ESPN Video
4. Joe Louis Video ESPN Video
5. Willie Pep Video ESPN Video
6. Roberto Duran Video ESPN Video
7. Benny Leonard
8. Jack Johnson Video ESPN Video
9. Jack Dempsey Video ESPN Video
10. Sam Langford
11. Joe Gans
12. Sugar Ray Leonard Video ESPN Video
13. Harry Greb
14. Rocky Marciano Video ESPN Video
15. Jimmy Wilde
16. Gene Tunney Video ESPN Video
17. Mickey Walker Video ESPN Video
18. Archie Moore Video ESPN Video
19. Stanley Ketchel
20. George Foreman Video ESPN Video
21. Tony Canzoneri
22. Barney Ross Video ESPN Video
23. Jimmy McLarnin
24. Julio Cesar Chavez Video ESPN Video
25. Marcel Cerdan
26. Joe Frazier Video ESPN Video
27. Ezzard Charles
28. Jake LaMotta Video ESPN Video
29. Sandy Saddler
30. Terry McGovern
31. Billy Conn Video ESPN Video
32. Jose Napoles
33. Ruben Olivares
34. Emile Griffith
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Eder Jofre
37. Thomas Hearns
38. Larry Holmes Video ESPN Video
39. Oscar De La Hoya
40. Evander Holyfield
41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
42. Alexis Arguello
43. Marco Antonio Barrera
44. Pernell Whitaker Video ESPN Video
45. Carlos Monzon
46. Roy Jones Jr. Bonus video: Brian Kenny on Jones' place on the list ESPN Video
47. Bernard Hopkins
48. Floyd Mayweather Jr. Video ESPN Video
49. Erik Morales
50. Mike Tyson Video ESPN Video

ehhh, OK :D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

CiKe

not sure I see Dunne really making it as world class, the competition in and around his weight class is ferocious. As someone mentioned Duddy seriously needs to tighten up his defense. Talk of him fighting Taylor is ridiculous, this is a guy with just about hte best jab in boxing and he'd have it in Duddy's face all night. He definitely needs more experience against a higher class opponent of opponent before any more of that talk (I'm thinking 5-6 fights as opposed to 2-3). In all likelihood by the time Duddy reaches that level if he gets there, Taylor will have moved up in weight as he his already a monster at 160lbs.

gallsman

Duddy shouldn't even think of going anywhere near Jermain Taylor for a long time to come! Completely different class! James Moore is going well, but perhaps left it a bit late to turn pro.

An Laoch

Yeah, Taylor is best avoided for as long as possible, Sky Sports are showing his fight next weekend. I haven't seen a full fight of his yet (only clips) so I'm looking forward to this one.

behind the wire

as far as i know jason mckay is hoping to fight duddy in the not too distant future. i would definitely like to see that one, mckay is no doser. he has had a few good wins recently and i think he would give duddy a bit of trouble. hes a big lad with a long reach and good tactical awareness. i could definitely see it going the full distance anyway. dont know how the pink panther would get on against duddy, although he had a good win at the point last time out if my memory serves me right.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

An Laoch

I dont think there's anything to be gained by Duddy fighting the Pink Panther. Rock is a great man to sell a few tickets in Dublin but he boxes as a hobby, not really the kind of opponent someone with the potential of Duddy should be looking to.

Anyone here follow the Irish amateur scene at all?

bridgegael

mckay was the last man to beat duddy, albeit as an amateur.  he is very keen to get in the ring with duddy and i think a fight in dublin in summer would pull a big crowd.  duddys management are looking him to fight taylor st patricks weekend 08,  far to soon, he needs to work his way up the rankings, better opponent each time.  i think a defeat against taylor in 08 would set him back big time.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

gallsman

Quote from: bridgegael on May 13, 2007, 10:44:05 AM
mckay was the last man to beat duddy, albeit as an amateur.  he is very keen to get in the ring with duddy and i think a fight in dublin in summer would pull a big crowd.  duddys management are looking him to fight taylor st patricks weekend 08,  far to soon, he needs to work his way up the rankings, better opponent each time.  i think a defeat against taylor in 08 would set him back big time.

Never mind that by that stage Taylor could have moved up to Super Middle/Light Heavy! Which, in fairness, may be no bad thing from Duddy's point of view.

Anyone know the score with the Bernard Hopkins-Winky Wright fight? What weight will it be at?

CiKe

had originally read that Hopkins-Wright was being made at catch weight of 170lbs, but recent report I read said it was fulle light heavyweight, ie 175lbs.

unlikely to be a fight for the casual fan to enjoy but from technical point of view it's likely to be as good as it gets. Can't remmeber the last time two such gifted tacticians/technicians fought

CiKe

Taylor vs Spinks this weekend and Miranda vs Pavlik. This is second time in a row Taylor is fighting someone who isn't a true middleweight and he should have an easy enough night given the size and power differential despite Spinka being a skilled boxer. He couldn't punch at welterweight so I give him zero chance of being able to hurt Taylor. Taylor should stop him and should probably stop him in 5-7 rounds as Spinks and will isn't anything like Ouma's who talk some beating but just wouldn't give up. Wouldn't altogether surprise me if it was over in three though.

Don't know anything about MIranda's opponent but this Miranda himself has serious power and is an all out slugger. Could be an interesting one if you're man is half decent.

gallsman

Quote from: CiKe on May 17, 2007, 07:40:15 PM
Taylor vs Spinks this weekend and Miranda vs Pavlik. This is second time in a row Taylor is fighting someone who isn't a true middleweight and he should have an easy enough night given the size and power differential despite Spinka being a skilled boxer. He couldn't punch at welterweight so I give him zero chance of being able to hurt Taylor. Taylor should stop him and should probably stop him in 5-7 rounds as Spinks and will isn't anything like Ouma's who talk some beating but just wouldn't give up. Wouldn't altogether surprise me if it was over in three though.

Don't know anything about MIranda's opponent but this Miranda himself has serious power and is an all out slugger. Could be an interesting one if you're man is half decent.

Reports today that Calzaghe Vs. Taylor is getting closer. Apparently Lou DiBella has lowered their asking price to $6 million.

CiKe

Duddy won again last night beating some 37 year old on points after dropping him in the first round. Can't find a decent report on the fight

GweylTah

He really is our very own Audley Harrison with some of the opposition he's up against.

Still, you can only beat what others put in front of you, it would be good to see him get a fight soon at the Millennium Forum or the King's Hall. Good luck to him.

CiKe

Taylor won last night by a controversial split decision in what was apparently a brutally boring fight to watch, in which he barely threw any punches and Manny Steward his trainer was giving him an earful in the corner after each round for his apparent lack of effort. Camp Calzaghe will only be encouraged by this and judging by the reports Taylor might be pvervaluing himself significantly at $6mn.

On the undercard Kelly Pavlik knocked out Edison Miranda in seven and is apparently next in line to fight Taylor so not sure when Calzaghe will get his fight if at all. Personally I hope he fights Kessler