Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: stew on September 13, 2017, 12:49:07 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 13, 2017, 12:37:17 AM
Quote from: Orior on September 12, 2017, 11:21:55 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2017, 09:34:50 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 12, 2017, 07:39:21 PM
That's over 3 decades before Sid decided to ride the high horse of hump.
And three decades before you were still considering the n word acceptable...

That word is used in every Samuel L Jackson film. Every one of his films. Is he bad?
Are you black?

You're an Armagh GAA man, aren't you? Now unless you're Joey Cunningham, I'd venture that it's unlikely you are.

So black men can use it, call each other it but woe betide a white man uses the n word! Double standard if ever there was one sidley.

Do you REALLY not understand the difference?? ::)

nrico2006

There are definite double standards applied.  Imagine the outcry if there was a MOWO ceremony every year?  Or if Joe Calzaghe had claimed there was no way he would get beat by a black man.

I remember a few years ago in the US there was a tv show where on in the US with a black female presenter (Sherri Shepherd), Whoopi Goldberg and Barbara Walters.  There were reporting on the presidential nominee Rick Perry and a hunting camp he leased, on which the grounds had a rock with the phrase "Ni--erhead" painted on it.

They were talking about the sign and both Goldberg and Shepherd said the word numerous times, but when Walters mentioned the word Shepherd basically jarred her and said that it was ok for her and Goldberg to use it but not for Walters etc etc.  Shepherd went on to make a huge fuss over it.  Talk about double standards.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

vallankumous

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 13, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
There are definite double standards applied.  Imagine the outcry if there was a MOWO ceremony every year?  Or if Joe Calzaghe had claimed there was no way he would get beat by a black man.

I remember a few years ago in the US there was a tv show where on in the US with a black female presenter (Sherri Shepherd), Whoopi Goldberg and Barbara Walters.  There were reporting on the presidential nominee Rick Perry and a hunting camp he leased, on which the grounds had a rock with the phrase "Ni--erhead" painted on it.

They were talking about the sign and both Goldberg and Shepherd said the word numerous times, but when Walters mentioned the word Shepherd basically jarred her and said that it was ok for her and Goldberg to use it but not for Walters etc etc.  Shepherd went on to make a huge fuss over it.  Talk about double standards.

Woopie Goldberg? FFS

vallankumous

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 13, 2017, 02:42:29 AM
This kind of double standard is fairly common.  I've gotten used to Irish guys in NY referring to Irish people as Paddys.  Damien Dempsey does it too.  But if a British Tory Party member used that term to refer to us....

Another example is how the gay community co-opted the word 'queer' (and indeed 'gay') to refer to themselves when such terms had originally been derogatory terms used by straight people to refer to them.  There would have been a time (maybe that time is still now) when members of this community would have regarded it as OK for themselves to use these terms, but not OK for non-gays to use.

Language evolves every day.

BennyCake

Current posts remind me of statements from some foreigner claiming the Irish are a bunch of drinking, fighting, Irish dancing, red-headed, leprachaun hat-wearing nuts, and the Irish getting upset over it. Come St Patrick's Day, that's exactly what the Irish do.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: vallankumous on September 13, 2017, 02:09:18 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 13, 2017, 02:42:29 AM
This kind of double standard is fairly common.  I've gotten used to Irish guys in NY referring to Irish people as Paddys.  Damien Dempsey does it too.  But if a British Tory Party member used that term to refer to us....

Another example is how the gay community co-opted the word 'queer' (and indeed 'gay') to refer to themselves when such terms had originally been derogatory terms used by straight people to refer to them.  There would have been a time (maybe that time is still now) when members of this community would have regarded it as OK for themselves to use these terms, but not OK for non-gays to use.

Language evolves every day.

Yep.