Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2019, 07:10:12 PM
75% of the Congress voted for the Tier 2 so someone must want it Wob.

That's far from the true reflection of GAA members.

Congress is not true democracy. The CPA knew the current charade needing changing, but their motion was defeated at Congress, obviously.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Anyone who has ever attended Congress know that its a hive of politcking and horsetrading. A huge amount of canvasssing goes on to ensure that every major motion backed by Croke Park ends up getting passed.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2019, 07:10:12 PM
75% of the Congress voted for the Tier 2 so someone must want it Wob.
A mixture of those who can confidently know they'll never have to worry about it, the few true believers that do and the rest happy to do what they're told by HQ in order to stay in favour for committee places and chairmanships etc.

Incidentally I see the IFA are having their presidential elections shortly, and each member has a vote in it. I can't wait to be able to vote on who will be Horan's successor  ::)

Rossfan

Get yourself elected as a Congress delegate and you can.
Or start with a motion at your Club AGM that the Uachtarán be directly elected by the membership.
I suspect you'll have a better chance of the forner ;D

FermGael

So the fixtures plans for next year has already shown that the Tier 2 final could be a standalone game at Croke Park.
That's record time for a u-turn even for the GAA.
Thought it was to be played before the All-Ireland final?  A festival of football promised.
As suspected, lets tick the box and get it out of the road so the top teams can get showcased.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Rossfan

It was never to be before the AI Final.
The odd person here and there suggested that but was never an official proposal.

trailer

Quote from: FermGael on November 27, 2019, 11:57:23 AM
So the fixtures plans for next year has already shown that the Tier 2 final could be a standalone game at Croke Park.
That's record time for a u-turn even for the GAA.
Thought it was to be played before the All-Ireland final?  A festival of football promised.
As suspected, lets tick the box and get it out of the road so the top teams can get showcased.

Why would you even consider putting the tier 2 final before the AI final? Is the Joe McDonagh final played before the AI hurling?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/john-horan-favours-making-leagues-part-of-summer-championship-season-1.4099873

John Horan favours making leagues part of summer championship season
GAA president admits disappointment over Club Players' Association's withdrawal from fixture talks

Seán Moran in Abu Dhabi

GAA president John Horan has indicated that he favours moving the national leagues into the summer, as part of the championship. He made the radical remarks during a press briefing in Abu Dhabi, which is hosting this year's PwC All Stars trip.

The issue of championship reform will feature largely in the report of the Fixtures Calendar Review Task Force, which is due to be published next week.

"I personally would be very much in favour of one of the new proposals when they come out next week," said Horan.

Asked what this was, he replied that the task force had one further meeting and that he wouldn't comment before next week but he did elaborate on some of the ideas.

"There is the flip of the league from earlier in the year to the summer and then the creation of the four eights [rationalising the provincial structure]. They are some of the ideas that are likely to come onto the table. You know, maybe the league in the summer could be the answer."

He also commented on the Club Players' Association's withdrawal from the task force just before its conclusion and the accompanying comments on what it saw as the likely outcome of the deliberations.

"I was somewhat disappointed that they actually withdrew. In fairness, I took some criticism [from within the GAA] for initially including them in the process but I was quite happy to do that; you know, it is disappointing. We can wait until next Wednesday when we are going to launch the actual report."

The CPA accused the task force of being committed to preserving the status quo of the current intercounty football calendar rather than meaningful fixture reform that might benefit club players. Horan said that he believed there was a mood for radical change.

"Within that group there is. When you see the proposals when we have a media briefing next Wednesday, you will see. I think it's a bit unfortunate some of the information from the group has been leaked into the public domain. That's somewhat disloyal. But, we are where we are. The lads have worked hard. We are at it since June."

He further said that the inclusion of the current championship format as an option, which was criticised by the CPA, had been intended to use the format which is on trial as a backstop rather than revert to the status quo ante from 2017.

"You have got to look at it in a context. We are in a trial phase at the moment, and when the three years lapse, at the end of the next championship in 2020, it's either bring in a new proposal or revert back. That's the way it works.

"In case some of these new ideas are not accepted you would have to then bring a proposal to the table to maybe continue where we are, rather than flip back to where we were three years ago, because I don't think anyone would accept going back to where we were three years ago would be a good move.

"That's why this kind of status quo element has come on the table."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Esmarelda

Very well put by Horan. Very open-minded about all the options that will be produced.

He forgot one small thing though..........that there'll be a Tier 2 Championship regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Rossfan

five points

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 21, 2019, 10:19:14 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 20, 2019, 02:33:52 PM
Westmeath chairman Billy Foley got his view across on the match day programme on Saturday. Food for thought there.

The line about when the controversy ends they will lose interest encapsulates everything that is wrong with this debate and could equally be applied to the situation on here. Keyboard warriors bandwaggoning onto a cause and championing it until they see achieve 'success' for their 1 eyed point of view. Then move on to the next "issue".

It has nearly got to the stage where the GAA is being run by twitter.

Not nice to see a whiff of sectarianism off a county chairman.

sligoman2

So I'm wondering if opinions have changed on this topic in the last year.  We had the two big upsets in the provincial finals followed by two absolute hammerings for those teams.  The more I think about this, the more I am on the side of a tier two competition, with continued participation in the provincial championship. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

five points

Quote from: sligoman2 on December 07, 2020, 01:54:09 PM
So I'm wondering if opinions have changed on this topic in the last year.  We had the two big upsets in the provincial finals followed by two absolute hammerings for those teams.  The more I think about this, the more I am on the side of a tier two competition, with continued participation in the provincial championship.

If your county wants to commit football suicide that's your problem but please don't drag the rest of us with you.

sid waddell

Quote from: sligoman2 on December 07, 2020, 01:54:09 PM
The problem with this is it's just the Tommy Murphy Cup

The problem with a genuine Tier 2 competition with total separation from Tier 1 is it takes away the prospect of a provincial title and effectively ends any sort of ambition for weaker counties, it condemns teams to a yo-yo situation at best, like what Antrim and Laois have at the moment in hurling

The solution is in revamping the league to make it less elitist and to give more teams more experience of playing against better teams

The current league format works for Division 1 teams only, it works for nobody else