11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

Some community relations in a small town just outside Strabane. This isn't Larne or Lisburn or any of those kips.

But tell me again how singing a song about the black and tans is so offensive.....

Denn Forever

I know the Bonfires on the 11th is paying homage to some event in the pasy. If the bonfires were erected in the locations where these bonfires were placed, I could accept that it is cultural event.

Maybe there could be purpose built areas where the bonfires could be built, without putting the public at risk.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

johnnycool

Much being made of a bonfire in Newtownards across the road from the firestation.

This bonfire is only on the go about 10 years or so as that site used to be a primary school so it's not as if it been there a long time..

On a windy night those embers will travel a fair distance..

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2021, 11:50:45 AM
Much being made of a bonfire in Newtownards across the road from the firestation.

This bonfire is only on the go about 10 years or so as that site used to be a primary school so it's not as if it been there a long time..

That's great foresight in all honesty. Sure the firemen could just stick the hose out the front door, and go back to their game of poker. No travelling means no fumes coming from the fire truck either.

Some people will always find something to complain about  ::)

Milltown Row2

What night is the bony being lit? Was looking to book hotel in south for the night but too expensive and no pubs open. So was looking at Derry, in the city walls (bar one spot) should be grand enough?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 02, 2021, 01:46:38 PM
What night is the bony being lit? Was looking to book hotel in south for the night but too expensive and no pubs open. So was looking at Derry, in the city walls (bar one spot) should be grand enough?

Be grand. Spend plenty MR2

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JoG2 on July 02, 2021, 02:03:18 PM

Be grand. Spend plenty MR2

I usually do!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Why are you using the term "bony"?

It tries to make ugly offensive sectarian bonfires sound quaint.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnnycool

Quote from: BennyCake on July 02, 2021, 12:33:57 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2021, 11:50:45 AM

That's great foresight in all honesty. Sure the firemen could just stick the hose out the front door, and go back to their game of poker. No travelling means no fumes coming from the fire truck either.

Some people will always find something to complain about  ::)

The firemen will probably light it for them  ;)

It is Newtownards after all.

Main Street

There's still room for another few layers, and the obligatory KAT flags.

StPatsAbu

The blue pallets are all stolen apparently. The company than use them do not sell them.

BennyCake

It's a sin really, the  amount of wood burned in that bonfire alone. Would heat hundreds of pensioners homes  all winter.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on July 02, 2021, 02:38:14 PM

Why are you using the term "bony"?

It tries to make ugly offensive sectarian bonfires sound quaint.

I grew up with a 'bony' at the top of my street for many a year, my cousins lived at the first house, the fire would have stripped the wall paper every year. This was on the falls

general_lee

Quote from: StPatsAbu on July 02, 2021, 09:48:29 PM
The blue pallets are all stolen apparently. The company than use them do not sell them.
The company is called CHEP, they pool them and charge manufacturers a small fee per pallet - so they don't really care where they end up. There's a distribution centre just off the Doagh rd (where else) I'd say this is their busiest time of year