LinkedIN

Started by Under Lights, August 31, 2016, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

In my current job six and a half years now, the longest I have spent in any position. Getting a bit unsettled to be honest and would like to see whats out there. Hate the thought of recruitment agencies etc as once they have your details they are a real torture.
I spent a big of time yesterday and set up a LinkedIN profile.
Waiting by the phone now LOL.

Anyone do anything similar- any recommendations of what to connect to on linkedIN?

Corner Forward

I'd mainly follow companies or bodies I have an interest in or that would be within my particular Line of work. Good to keep up to date with what's going on. Also if you follow companies you can see what jobs they have going.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Under Lights on August 31, 2016, 03:37:15 PM
In my current job six and a half years now, the longest I have spent in any position. Getting a bit unsettled to be honest and would like to see whats out there. Hate the thought of recruitment agencies etc as once they have your details they are a real torture. 
I spent a big of time yesterday and set up a LinkedIN profile.
Waiting by the phone now LOL.

Anyone do anything similar- any recommendations of what to connect to on linkedIN?

In my experience -setting up my LinkedIn profile made this much, much worse

screenexile

My last 2 jobs I didn't bother with recruitment agencies. They're odious beings and one step down from a telemarketer in my opinion.

The last time I was forced to use them I was looking for a job on irishjobs.ie and sent away my cv for 3 particular jobs only for agencies to come back saying the job had gone and rhyming off different jobs in the same 'field' that I could apply for and I had to come into them for an interview. All of which took 3 weeks and every single job they came back to me with was for much less money than I had told them I wanted.

Anyway if you want a new job look at Companies recruitment pages to see what they have going. If they have nothing give their HR a call and pitch yourself . . . avoid Recruitment Agencies like the plague!

The Iceman

don't put your contact numbers on your linkedin - the agencies you can ignore but the recruiters who recruit directly from the company - those are the ones you want to hear from...
connect to people in your industry - everyone youve worked with over the years, old alumni in similar positions etc...

the job i'm in now the recruiter from the company contacted me directly through linkedin  -definitely a worthwhile investment of your time to build the right profile
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Itchy

I'm sure you know this but just in case, when you start following loads of companies and befriending recruitment agents on LinkedIn this will find its way back to your current employees as everyone you are friends with will see it. You may or may not care about that.

heganboy

Competitive research...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

imtommygunn

The trick is you just friend everyone lol. Linkedin can have it's uses but can be a bit of a spam vehicle. Recruiters use it heavily.it can be useful at times though.

Anyone use glassdoor or is it more for it??

BenDover

More recently I've found LinkedIn to be full of lazy recruiters who'll contact me via message with jobs but also ask ye to pass their details onto anyone else that may be suitable. I'd be more inclined to view company websites for vacancies if I wanted a move.

supersarsfields

Quote from: BenDover on September 01, 2016, 11:05:19 AM
More recently I've found LinkedIn to be full of lazy recruiters who'll contact me via message with jobs but also ask ye to pass their details onto anyone else that may be suitable. I'd be more inclined to view company websites for vacancies if I wanted a move.

To be fair, referrals are important to agencies when searching for new talent. Especially of people who aren't necessarily on social media.