Meath V Tyrone Qualifier Round 1 Saturday 9th June 2018

Started by never kickt a ball, May 28, 2018, 11:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2018, 07:45:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2018, 06:38:21 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2018, 06:28:56 PM
People from the north using the Palestinian flag as a prop is probably one of their more ill-advised choices. The people in Gaza would love to have their cushy lifes and political situation.
It's called solidarity
Michael Glavey would have recognised it
Dermot Earley understood Israeli tactics very well.

It's pretty damn clear it's being used to draw attention to themselves more than it has anything to do with any concern or understanding of what is happening in Palestine. Not like you to be disingenuous..
So the Dunnes Stores strikers were motivated by vanity, Syf? Is that it?
Messi made a stand to draw attention to himself, did he?
Do you ever read what you post ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

People from the north using the Palestinian flag as a prop is probably one of their more ill-advised choices. The people in Gaza would love to have their cushy lifes and political situation.

You know where I am ,fook the internet have a chat with me about how ya feel.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2018, 09:17:07 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 08:11:51 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 10, 2018, 07:45:48 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 10, 2018, 06:38:21 PM
It's called solidarity
Michael Glavey would have recognised it
Dermot Earley understood Israeli tactics very well.

It's pretty damn clear it's being used to draw attention to themselves more than it has anything to do with any concern or understanding of what is happening in Palestine. Not like you to be disingenuous..

When you have something to say, and not just about other counties, that has a ring of truth about it, I might then take notice.

You've fairly rattled yourself in this thread already without trying to make it worse.

Is that a fact now, really.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Whishtup

The game: the good, the bad, the ugly of Tyrone.  Brilliant going forward in the first 15-20 mins.  Psychological weakness manifests itself after a couple of wides and a Tiernan McCann missed pass.  Don't see what p mcnulty offers as a starter.  Thought whole team looked leggier than Meath.  Who is the leader?  Stirling Meath performance.  Some dodgy decisions for both sides and the obligatory bumbling umpires but I believe Meath just shaded this.  Unless Tyrone pull it out of the bag this year, they need a new motivator.

The fleg: very unusual for garda to do this.  Air of 'teach them Northern troublemakers a lesson' about it.  Shameful and sad.

whitey

So if the Israeli ambassador sent his security detail down to wave Israeli flags around at a match ......should they be tolerated too?

No place inside the stadium for these types of demonstrations.

longballin

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 10:51:03 PM
So if the Israeli ambassador sent his security detail down to wave Israeli flags around at a match ......should they be tolerated too?

You ain't seen nothing yet.

whitey

Quote from: longballin on June 10, 2018, 10:52:55 PM

You ain't seen nothing yet.
d

Remember years ago Youth Defense hired a gang of bouncers from Leeson Street to carry signs when they were marching down O Connell St.....it was fvckin comical

Thtats what Id do if I was the Israeli ambassador......hire a few dozen of them to go in along with their security detail flying the Israeli flag

RedHand88

Mmm hmm. And when the free staters use it as a prop is it any different? Or is this just your grudge against the north manifesting itself again?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Non sequiturs, much? There's no formal organisation about this form of solidarity with the beleaguered here, it's simply a grassroots' expression of empathy with those who could be doing with as much international support as they can. The flag bearers are not Palestinian, they're Irish, who will avail of any opportunity to demonstrate that support.

Too easy to say there's no place for these types, etc., though I'm glad the Choctaw Native Americans avoided such an attitude during our darkest famine times.

whitey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 10, 2018, 10:59:45 PM

Non sequiturs, much? There's no formal organisation about this form of solidarity with the beleaguered here, it's simply a grassroots' expression of empathy with those who could be doing with as much international support as they can. The flag bearers are not Palestinian, they're Irish, who will avail of any opportunity to demonstrate that support.

Too easy to say there's no place for these types, etc., though I'm glad the Choctaw Native Americans avoided such an attitude during our darkest famine times.

So if another group who felt solidarity with the Israelis showed up with Israeli flags, youd be fine with that?

Whishtup

I think you are forgetting what the GAA was founded on. There is a misconception that the support of the continuously slaughtered Palestinian people is a politically motivated stance.  I have no issue with people supporting human rights at big sporting ocassions.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: whitey on June 10, 2018, 11:06:14 PM
So if another group who felt solidarity with the Israelis showed up with Israeli flags, youd be fine with that?

Anyone, or any group of fans, are free to show up with any flags they want (bar obviously offensive flags) -- let them come, if you can find any. Scraping the barrel here methinks.

Jinxy

I have massive sympathy for the Palestinian people but I also wondered about the hypothetical scenario whereby someone brought an Israeli flag and stood beside the boys with the Palestinian flag.
What happens then?
That said, if it was up to me, I'd let people wave their Palestinian flags.
Ultimately, it's a small number of fans countrywide.
By dealing with the issue in such a heavy-handed way, they've made a rod for their own back.
Was there any on the Hill today as a matter of interest?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on June 10, 2018, 11:11:48 PM
I have massive sympathy for the Palestinian people but I also wondered about the hypothetical scenario whereby someone brought an Israeli flag and stood beside the boys with the Palestinian flag.
What happens then?
That said, if it was up to me, I'd let people wave their Palestinian flags.
Ultimately, it's a small number of fans countrywide.
By dealing with the issue in such a heavy-handed way, they've made a rod for their own back.
Was there any on the Hill today as a matter of interest?

Yes, at least the one, maybe more.

Jinxy

Ulster GAA confirms Palestinian flag not allowed in grounds

A spokesman for the Ulster Council last night said: "There is no flag allowed other than the official (GAA) flag, national flag and team colours.
"The display and possession of flag poles is contrary to ground regulations."

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/05/22/news/ulster-gaa-confirms-palestinian-flag-not-allowed-in-grounds-1335396/

Has any other provincial council said anything about this?
Has Croke Park?
If you were any use you'd be playing.