All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2017, 09:28:39 AM
All the talk is Flynn will get the final wing forward position ahead of Scully, Connolly, Lowndes.

Not sure about that one. I've lost a bit of faith in Flynn, but he must be going well. He doesn't have the legs to cope with the maurauding forward runs of the Mayo half backs, and I can foresee a lot of Flynn pointing at teammates to pick up runners as he tries to find someone who's staying at home to stand close to.

But if Mayo are able to put genuine pressure on the Dublin kickout and there's a lot of 50/50 ball in the middle of the field, then I don't think there's any doubt that Mayo have the better fielders, so putting Flynn in there would go some way to evening things out. He's arguably the best fielder we have. Flynn's also really good at getting early accurate ball into the full forward line and a good man to take a point (not all days, but most days).

Interesting point on the early ball into the FF because that would be a change to how you've played all year. Playing against blanket defences it's been all hand passes. Seems unlikely you'll revert to a more direct ball
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Owenmoresider

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 13, 2017, 11:33:17 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 13, 2017, 10:36:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 13, 2017, 09:24:32 PM
There is nothing really to talk about. The Bandwagon fans in Mayo are really excited. Probably because they don't know to much about the real job in hand. Most (unbelievably) are caught up with talk of homecomings. That's how far removed they are. The synopsis from the more knowledgeable fan is what Crete Boom says above. We will burst a gut. But Corporation Dublin will prevail and after the winter break prepare for 4 in a row. More of their successful under 21's will be assimilated into the first team after retaining the O'Byrne Cup with their third team.

It's a terrible place to be as a knowledgeable Mayo fan. A sort of (what feels like an) eternal Limbo! Good enough to be at the Top table. But still feeding from the scraps. You know this period of a decent football side is coming to an end and you know the heavily financed Dublin machine gets bigger and bigger!

Did you watch football during the 70s and 80s? How do you account for Kerry winning seven All Irelands in nine years between 1978 and 1986 other than that they were an exceptional group of players?

Yes, I did watch football in the '70s and '80s. How many of the Kerry players from that era where there from beginning to end? You'd find that it was the same 12+ that were there. How many of the 2011 team are starting for Dublin these days! The exceptional group have evolved into another exceptional group......How coincidental? Lightening strikes twice! Must be a freak of nature!
From memory there's about 10 that where there from 1978 right through to 1986 - the five eight-medal men of 75-86 (Ó Se, Power, Sheehy, P. Spillane, Moran) and five more (Jacko, Nelligan, Walsh, Liston, M. Spillane). Tommy Doyle didn't start in 1978 but was in thereafter. The only notable turnover was after the 1983 Munster loss, Ger and John O'Keeffe, Kennelly and Paudie Lynch from the 78 team were gone after that year. John Egan was there til 1984.

By contrast four of Dublin's 2011 winning team started v Tyrone, Cluxton, O'Sullivan, Fitzsimons and McCarthy. McMahon was a sub in 2011, Flynn and Connolly started in 2011 and McManamon and O'Gara were subs in both.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on September 14, 2017, 01:26:34 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 14, 2017, 01:11:58 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on September 13, 2017, 10:36:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 13, 2017, 09:24:32 PM
There is nothing really to talk about. The Bandwagon fans in Mayo are really excited. Probably because they don't know to much about the real job in hand. Most (unbelievably) are caught up with talk of homecomings. That's how far removed they are. The synopsis from the more knowledgeable fan is what Crete Boom says above. We will burst a gut. But Corporation Dublin will prevail and after the winter break prepare for 4 in a row. More of their successful under 21's will be assimilated into the first team after retaining the O'Byrne Cup with their third team.

It's a terrible place to be as a knowledgeable Mayo fan. A sort of (what feels like an) eternal Limbo! Good enough to be at the Top table. But still feeding from the scraps. You know this period of a decent football side is coming to an end and you know the heavily financed Dublin machine gets bigger and bigger!

Did you watch football during the 70s and 80s? How do you account for Kerry winning seven All Irelands in nine years between 1978 and 1986 other than that they were an exceptional group of players?
Of course they were exceptionally talented, there could have been no other reason for their phenomenal success in those years. I mean they hadn't have anything else that their closest rivals didn't have. In fact, they were at a distinct disadvantage in many ways when compared to the likes of Cork or Dublin.
If you go by sheer talent alone, Micko's men were the best of all time, whereas present day Dublin has the best team that money could buy.

I think by talent, or skill, or whatever label you put on it, this Dublin team have all others beat.

What they've proven that the money and the coaching and nurturing it brings is more important than any innate transcendent talent in this sport. We have a relatively small small size so absolutely exceptional athletes are rare. Only a few in my time come to mind, Gooch, Michael Murphy.

So it's a sport where you can 'make' great players. And by God if Dublin haven't made a machine capable of making them.
Good post Syf, you're in deadly form today! ;D
I'd kinda quibble with your interpretation of the term 'talent' but otherwise you are bang on target. I think Talent is more a product of nature and not nurture.
All the training in the world wouldn't turn a donkey into a Grand National winner. I think Dublion has a good few talented players who, if they played for any other county, would still stand out.
However, talent on its own won't get you far. A bit like a lighthouse in a bog: brilliant but useless.
It took a lot more than mere talent alone to get Dublin to its pre-eminent position it enjoys today.
Just suppose that Dublin and Mayo swapped places sometime before last year's All Ireland final. THat would mean Berno and Dermo, Clucko and Deano having to forsake their top of the range Suburus and and a 10 t0 20 minute spin to their training grounds.
Instead, they would be rushing to finish work/study or whatever before 4 o'clock and three or four would have to pile into a car and rface a return trip of more than 250 miles, getting to bed around 3 in the morning and then having to face into their daytime occupations once again, like ten of the Mayo panel have to do three times a week. They would have to forego the world class gym in Abbotstown and the state of the art pitches in  UCD, DCU, Trinity pitches, knowing their opponents would be making full use of same.
The list could go on and on but the exercise would be pointless. When you tot up all the long list of advantages that Mayo would have over Dublin, there's no doubt that they'd be All Ireland winners right now.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2017, 10:50:29 AM
Quote from: rrhf on September 14, 2017, 09:44:21 AM
Is it rue that affiliated Dublin youth players get their food delivered to them. Is it true that the senior team are driving sponsored vehicles. These are just rumours?
Do sponsored cars make you play better? I wonder was it the sponsored cars that made our hurlers play so poorly this year?

Mayo and Kerry lads have sponsored cars. Dublin had sponsored cars under Pillar, and probably before that too. Maybe its because we've changed to Subarus that's brought the improvement.
Hah! Tell me more....
AOS drives a car sponsored by AIB for whom he does promotional work, same as Berno does for Supervalu but I don't know of any player driving a car that is supplied by a commercial team sponsor. Maybe you know more than I do.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 14, 2017, 11:46:14 AM
Is it rue that affiliated Dublin youth players get their food delivered to them. Is it true that the senior team are driving sponsored vehicles. These are just rumours?
Do sponsored cars make you play better? I wonder was it the sponsored cars that made our hurlers play so poorly this year?

Mayo and Kerry lads have sponsored cars. Dublin had sponsored cars under Pillar, and probably before that too. Maybe its because we've changed to Subarus that's brought the improvement.
Hah! Tell me more....
AOS drives a car sponsored by AIB for whom he does promotional work, same as Berno does for Supervalu but I don't know of any player driving a car that is supplied by a commercial team sponsor. Maybe you know more than I do.
Mayo lad I work with said a car dealer gives a number of cars to Mayo lads. Burke Motors or something like that?

Tubberman

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2017, 12:25:55 PM

Hah! Tell me more....
Mayo lad I work with said a car dealer gives a number of cars to Mayo lads. Burke Motors or something like that?

Yeah, several players are driving cars from different dealers and fair play to them.
It's not a centralised deal where the whole panel, management and backroom team are given cars though!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

Quote from: Tubberman on September 14, 2017, 12:34:42 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

Yeah, several players are driving cars from different dealers and fair play to them.
It's not a centralised deal where the whole panel, management and backroom team are given cars though!

So?

heffo

Hah! Tell me more....

Neither is the Dublin Subaru deal

Tubberman

Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2017, 12:44:33 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

So?

Just a clarification. Mayo don't have sponsors with the resources that Dublin have.

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2017, 12:45:43 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

Apologies, maybe the backroom team aren't included. From http://www.subaru.ie/subaru-life/gaa-partner.html
Nice for the Dub hurlers considering where they stand ;)

Subaru will provide vehicles to the players and management of the Dublin senior football and hurling teams. They will be driving the versatile & capable 'go anywhere' life-style Subaru AWD vehicle range. The models being provided are from across the range, including Impreza, XV Crossover, Forester and Outback. Both teams will also benefit from a Subaru Forester Van to transport their kit around the country as they compete in the All Ireland Championships and National Leagues.

Zulu

Quote from: Tubberman on September 14, 2017, 12:46:31 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

So?

Just a clarification. Mayo don't have sponsors with the resources that Dublin have.

Mayo are not short money. If they lose on Sunday it will have nothing to do with Subaru providing cars rather than individual car dealers.

heffo

Quote from: Tubberman on September 14, 2017, 12:48:28 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

Apologies, maybe the backroom team aren't included. From http://www.subaru.ie/subaru-life/gaa-partner.html

Subaru will provide vehicles to the players and management of the Dublin senior football and hurling teams. They will be driving the versatile & capable 'go anywhere' life-style Subaru AWD vehicle range. The models being provided are from across the range, including Impreza, XV Crossover, Forester and Outback. Both teams will also benefit from a Subaru Forester Van to transport their kit around the country as they compete in the All Ireland Championships and National Leagues.

Some players in both panels have a sponsored Subaru - it's not a general deal for all players and management.

Nothing on the level of Big Aido's deals.

Tubberman

Quote from: Zulu on September 14, 2017, 12:51:09 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 14, 2017, 12:46:31 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

So?

Mayo are not short money. If they lose on Sunday it will have nothing to do with Subaru providing cars rather than individual car dealers.

Never suggested otherwise. The cars they're driving will have no bearing on it.

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on September 14, 2017, 12:51:28 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 14, 2017, 12:48:28 PM

Hah! Tell me more....

Some players in both panels have a sponsored Subaru - it's not a general deal for all players and management.

Nothing on the level of Big Aido's deals.

Misleading statement from Subaru in that case!

Subaru will provide vehicles to the players and management of the Dublin senior football and hurling teams.

Does Aido have deals that equate to more than 60 Subaru's!? Tell me more, tell me more!