Sheehan queries time free-taking goalies get

Started by heffo, May 02, 2013, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sheehan-queries-time-free-taking-goalies-get-230108.html

"We remember the 2011 All-Ireland final, would I get that long to take a free or would the referee throw the ball in?" he said. "If I was delaying, waiting around, what would happen? That's my only issue with it."

While still not being able to take a fair beating, he clearly doesn't remember that he took ten seconds longer with one of his free's at a time when Kerry were cruising than Cluxton did with his last kick. He tied his lace, took a drink, checked the wind and took his run up.

magpie seanie

We used to time Maurice Sheridan of Mayo. 45-50 seconds on average.

criostlinn

Cillian O Connor was pulled up for the length of time it took him to take a free in the Connacht Final in 2011. This was his first big game and it seemd more like a petty attempt by the ref to put him back in his box. Not sure how long he took before he was pulled up but was definitely no longer then any of the goalies take.

screenexile

Quote from: heffo on May 02, 2013, 10:51:44 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sheehan-queries-time-free-taking-goalies-get-230108.html

"We remember the 2011 All-Ireland final, would I get that long to take a free or would the referee throw the ball in?" he said. "If I was delaying, waiting around, what would happen? That's my only issue with it."

While still not being able to take a fair beating, he clearly doesn't remember that he took ten seconds longer with one of his free's at a time when Kerry were cruising than Cluxton did with his last kick. He tied his lace, took a drink, checked the wind and took his run up.

That's a bit of a leap there... what comment in his quote makes him a sore loser? He just said he doesn't think the ref would let him take as long over a free as they let goalkeepers. It's a true statement!

Niall Morgan's free taking took an extra 5 mins 30 seconds. Seems to be a lot of playing time lost if you ask me! 30 seconds should be plenty of time to take a free kick.

Outfield players should be fit to take frees anyway I don't see why we should hold up the game for someone to run the length of the field to take a free.

heffo

Quote from: screenexile on May 02, 2013, 11:56:27 AM

That's a bit of a leap there... what comment in his quote makes him a sore loser? He just said he doesn't think the ref would let him take as long over a free as they let goalkeepers. It's a true statement!

Niall Morgan's free taking took an extra 5 mins 30 seconds. Seems to be a lot of playing time lost if you ask me! 30 seconds should be plenty of time to take a free kick.

Outfield players should be fit to take frees anyway I don't see why we should hold up the game for someone to run the length of the field to take a free.

I would think he's citing Cluxton's final kick as an unfair advantage we accrued, when he himself took longer with one of his kicks.

It's just the latest in a long line of ungracious comments from Kerry players/mgt surrounding that game.

rosnarun

Quote from: criostlinn on May 02, 2013, 11:40:55 AM
Cillian O Connor was pulled up for the length of time it took him to take a free in the Connacht Final in 2011. This was his first big game and it seemd more like a petty attempt by the ref to put him back in his box. Not sure how long he took before he was pulled up but was definitely no longer then any of the goalies take.
about 40 seconds if my menory serves me well.
It was a mean act by the referee  alright but Cillian showed then and since he has nerves of Ice
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

One of the outfield players should place the ball while the goalie is running up the field.
The goalie then has to kick it immediately without breaking stride.
20 seconds max.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I did that one time when I was a keeper in soccer and I used to take the penalties. The ball was on the spot when I arrived and I just hit it in my stride. Highly recommended technique - took the keeper completely by surprise. He just stood there looking at the ref. The ref blew the whistle and pointed to the centre circle.

Canalman

Quote from: heffo on May 02, 2013, 12:03:06 PM

I would think he's citing Cluxton's final kick as an unfair advantage we accrued, when he himself took longer with one of his kicks.

It's just the latest in a long line of ungracious comments from Kerry players/mgt surrounding that game.

Agree Heffo. Makes the victory all the sweeter. Still makes me smile to think they are grumbling away even now.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hardy on May 02, 2013, 12:12:20 PM
I did that one time when I was a keeper in soccer and I used to take the penalties. The ball was on the spot when I arrived and I just hit it in my stride. Highly recommended technique - took the keeper completely by surprise. He just stood there looking at the ref. The ref blew the whistle and pointed to the centre circle.

A Shane Curran special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ZKbZlERhQs#t=6s
#newbridgeornowhere

supersarsfields

So should a team not be allowed to get the best person to hit the free just because they're farther away from the free? Does this mean a corner back shouldn't be allowed either, or a half back? Where's the line in proximity to the free? Such a load of nonsense. As long as he doesn't take the p!ss strolling up the pitch (And Morgan and Cluxton general don't) then there's no issue.

Syferus

This is exactly why we need the visible clock on/clock off system.

Rossfan

If the clock is stopped from once the ref blows for a free until such time as the ball is kicked .... we'd better add an hour to the time we'll be out of the house for games - football ones anyway - 50 frees @ 40 secs = 33 mins extra, then add the sidelines and wides/scores/45s.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hardy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 02, 2013, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 02, 2013, 12:12:20 PM

A Shane Curran special

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ZKbZlERhQs#t=6s

Ah I've been looking for that clip for years. Good man, Dinny.

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2013, 01:59:29 PM
This is exactly why we need the visible clock on/clock off system.
I thought it was so teams can just Waste the last 5/10 minutes like they do in Rugby
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere