2019 All Ireland Football Qualifiers

Started by Don Draper, June 11, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Martin Breheny is unhappy that the likes of Laois, and even Cork, could qualify to play in the Super 8s....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-qualification-system-not-delivering-real-super-8-38277153.html

The elitism in the GAA is astonishing.

Tony

It wanted me to pay for that article so I declined. What does he want, the same 8 teams there every year? Yes Monaghan aren't there because they weren't good enough this year. They've clearly taken a step back. The top 6 counties are in, no doubt. If there's a surprise team in, like Laois, who would have played 5 hard games and won 4 to get to the super 8's, then let them. What about Kerry, playing two games, only one was difficult, and they're straight through to super 8s. Clearly the system needs to change to be fair to all teams. His criticism seems misguided.

Don Draper

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 05, 2019, 06:48:32 AM
Martin Breheny is unhappy that the likes of Laois, and even Cork, could qualify to play in the Super 8s....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-qualification-system-not-delivering-real-super-8-38277153.html

Breheny is a w**ker

RedHand88

That article epitomizes Irish begrudgery. So what if a few teams go on a run. It's what makes the championship.

MasterJ

Exactly! It is always great if a surprise gets through. Look at Tipperary in 2016. They made to the All-Ireland semis which was exciting.

Countyminor

Why don't we get a new system in place where all Division 1 teams automatically qualify for the super 8s irrespective of form and all the other 24 teams take part in the brand new Peter Pan cup? Then we won't have the situation of upstarts like Laois going on a run through the backdoor. We deserve to be in the last 12. Cork have beaten Limerick to get here ffs. Dublin haven't faced a side that were in D1 side yet.  The only team Cork beat to get to this stage was Limerick. Galway only beat London and Sligo. In spite of the provincial imbalance regarding numbers and how the competition is run which certainly won't be getting addressed anytime soon, we have won 3 games and earned our way here more than most.

Chrimtain

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 05, 2019, 10:32:21 AM

That article epitomizes Irish begrudgery. So what if a few teams go on a run. It's what makes the championship.

Exactly. Isn't the beauty of the championship that underdogs can have an extended run.

Would Breheny prefer if the likes of Laois dropped out and let the big boys at it.

MasterJ

Team named:
Brody
Attride  Booth  Dillon
Collins  Pigott  O'Sullivan
O'Loughlin  Lilis
O'Reilly   D.Kingston  Scully
Munnely  Murphy  P. Kingston

From the Terrace

I expect to see Evan play the majority of this game, Sugrue made 3 changes last week, wouldnt be surprised if begley plays aswell. I think we're in with a good shout here. Its being a good year so far, Super 8s & Leinster U20 final appearance would be great.

Tony

I can't see Colm Begley starting but I can see him coming on. It's not really Sugrue's style to start someone who's been out injured and just back in contention.

thegreeenandgold

Seriously "Underdogs" this game is 50/50, same lads would be saying it's 50/50 against Roscommon when they would be easy favs. Cork are shambolic and okay there may be enough talent to trouble Laois, but no way is this anything but 50/50.  In the same way as Offaly, Cork will try to hit Laois in the first half but I can't see them staying with us.  We are just in a better place.  On the minus side I would think we will struggle in Super 8's and I genuinely can't make up mind is this a good thing long term or a bad thing ala Kildare this season.

Nameless

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 05, 2019, 05:30:44 PM
Seriously "Underdogs" this game is 50/50, same lads would be saying it's 50/50 against Roscommon when they would be easy favs. Cork are shambolic and okay there may be enough talent to trouble Laois, but no way is this anything but 50/50.  In the same way as Offaly, Cork will try to hit Laois in the first half but I can't see them staying with us.  We are just in a better place.  On the minus side I would think we will struggle in Super 8's and I genuinely can't make up mind is this a good thing long term or a bad thing ala Kildare this season.

How much have you put on at 2/1? Great odds on Laois if you believe what you posted.

I think we'll find it tough but we can beat Cork. It will take a day where we actually take a high percentage of our chances and especially goals. We'll have to tighten up at the back and give a bit more protection, I'm sure there's a plan for this. Whatever happens, I hope a big crowd goes down to support them. They're giving their all and they deserve our backing.

thegreeenandgold

Went 5/2 on betfair for small but will go again at 2/1 same as the 15/8 in Derry

Cork Derry essentially two Div 3 teams, Cork prob worse on the way down.

Tony

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on July 05, 2019, 06:38:10 PM
Went 5/2 on betfair for small but will go again at 2/1 same as the 15/8 in Derry

Cork Derry essentially two Div 3 teams, Cork prob worse on the way down.
I seriously doubt you've kept a close eye on Cork this season. Yes, they went down but they were playing good football come end of League, especially with the good win against Armagh (who are a serious team these days) and continued that into championship form. You're dismissing them like they're a Louth or Offaly type team. We wont fear them but they are clear favourites.

thegreeenandgold

No better than Offaly or Louth who you would expect Laois to be 1/3 or 1/4.  I'm saying this Laois team has to be 50/50 makes them evens to win this.