Favourite Christmas Tunes

Started by Puckoon, December 19, 2023, 04:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

It was a bad sign when the 1st Christmas #1 of the 1980s in both Ireland and GB was Saint Winifred's School Choir with "There's No One Quite Like Grandma". She was a very different Grandma from the Irish Rovers Christmas Classic "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer." I'll refrain from posting either.

armaghniac

There were a few pretenders to the Christmas song in the 80s though

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

armaghniac

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 21, 2023, 10:36:29 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 21, 2023, 05:24:12 PMVery few good Christmas tunes the last decade. 80s,90s and early 00s was the peak for them it seems.

I'd say 1994 and  East 17 was the last  of the Christmas songs (at no 1 anyway). Although Mariah Carey  was that year too

After that them  spice girls took over , then it was that  pop idol and X factor nonsense. Which is why we're  still hearing Slade  , Paul mc cartney and Wizzard every year

So you have Wham getting to number one after 39 years

or this rendition of a 1967 Stevie Wonder number

quit yo jibbajabba

I thought big lizzo had been cancelled. Missed the bit where she was uncancelled again. It's so hard to keep up these days

armaghniac

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 23, 2023, 12:12:02 PMI thought big lizzo had been cancelled. Missed the bit where she was uncancelled again. It's so hard to keep up these days
I don't even try.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on December 22, 2023, 10:19:12 PMThere were a few pretenders to the Christmas song in the 80s though

Wasn't that written for one ex band member who died ?