NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

The pitch wasn't exactly great when we played Armagh Itchy. It took a right battering today and the forecast overnight isn't great. They'll want to get it on because they probably want the whole Under 20 clash/debate to disappear. Just make sure to bring your arm bands

BobbyBoucherJr

Pitch Inspection:

MW Hire O'Moore Park has passed its pitch inspection this morning. Laois v Cavan goes ahead at 2pm today.

The Boy Wonder

While Cavan were not quite 10 points the better team today they clearly deserved their win. A very disappointing day for Laois. No complaints about workrate but I never saw as many passes from Laoismen being intercepted (wind caused some) and there was far too much sideways and backward passing which resulted in turnovers and scores.

We got a flukey goal early on and Cavan got a goal with a shot for a point before halftime. Cavan's goal at the start of the second half was the killer. Laois were playing with 14 men at the time due to the black card.  The going was very soft today and the wind was a spoiler too. Hopefully the lads have got the bad game out of their system and will have learned some lessons.

Brandon

We need To Put Brody back in goals lads !

BallyroanAbu

I watched today slightly unlucky if being beaten by 10 points is unlucky,  but the big moments of the game all came for Cavan at opportune moments.  I suppose we had our run of the green against Roscommon.

Chrimtain

Match reports are saying that Cavan impressed against Laois. Maybe I am a sore loser, but Laois's bad luck and poor play were the factors that contributed to Cavan's win rather than their brilliance. The woeful conditions were a huge factor yesterday and, I think, who ever played with the wind in the first half had a huge advantage. Laois had done well up to he last few minutes of the first half, but when they conceded that goal and had a man black carded just before half time, it was curtains. Down a man at the start of the second half, the game was put beyond doubt when Cavan scored a goal and a point without reply in the early minutes. Laois's game plan went out the window at this point as their heads clearly dropped.

It wasn't all down to bad luck though. Laois never mastered the conditions. Their play was extremely sloppy throughout. The black card was a moment of madness. In addition, goalkeeping was disappointing. However, I think, had it been Laois who played with the storm in the first half it could have been a different outcome.

High Fielder

We looked a little naive at times. They looked a little more seasoned. Bringing the ball into contact is a problem for us. The tendency to get isolated is another. Our support play and S&C is behind other teams in this division, as is our overall size. For that reason, we need to keep moving as fast as we can. We got taught a couple of lessons yesterday

Laois fan

Id say the aim is to move ball as fast as possible but conditions yday put a stop to that,kick passing was a lottery although we misplaced far too many handpasses,while lads were losing their footing non stop.I actually don't think black card had a massive effect just the two goals which killed any hope we had.Also would like to see the barry and sean let play tonight it might give their confidence a boost

Silkyskillssunshinee

Three wins from three this weekend for our county teams. Although Clare aren't the team they were a few years ago, going down there and grinding out a win takes guts.

It looks like we're safe from relegation which I would have taken your hand off at the start of the year. Still very much in the mix for promotion, and it would be nice if we were the ones to confine Kildare to relegation.

BallyroanAbu

If I was told at the beginning of the year, that we would avoid relegation in the first 4 games I would have bitten your hand off.  Fair play to everyone staying in Div 2 would have been one of the big targets for this year.

BobbyBoucherJr

Any idea on healys injury?just hope it's not the cruciate again, probably finish him if it is

Chrimtain

Although five points might be enough to avoid relegation, it's not absolutely certain. Seven points will keep us up, but where will get that extra two? Kildare will go all out to beat us next weekend, while going to Mullingar is never easy, as Armagh found out today. Our best bet might be the final match against Fermanagh who may very well be relegated by the time we play them up there.

For the moment though, i think it is only right to be happy with three great wins for Laois GAA teams this weekend.

on the hop

we got out with the points, I don't know how but we got them. Clare will be kicking themselves as they had enough chances to not only draw it but also to win it.

we started with a number of changes from the programme and got a great start. Evan was on fire and the team was moving well. this probably went on for about 25 minutes when we were well on top and kicked some great scores. the goal came after evan got in behind his marker and somehow failed to score, it was a good save but he should have finished it. murphy followed in bravely and scrambled it in. their keeper had to go off injured and the replacement immediately kicked it to murphy who popped it over the bar. we were sailing and they had lots of problems with our kickout press. for a number of reasons we seemed to go completely out of the game for large periods to the end. I thought their were a few reasons which disrupted the team, piggott getting the head injury which left him off the field for a while, Collins and Timmons clashing, which Timmons appeared to come worse off and certainly played at times like he wasn't 100 percent. numerous bookings, JOL in particular which left him unable to really tackle with such a fussy ref. they forced us long on the kickouts and we couldn't win a ball their for long periods until lillis finally came into it in the end. cahir's injury was one of those where you hope its not as bad it looks, it was a ball down the line that passing him and he attempted to cut it with a slide tackle of sorts. hopefully he over extended but you would be worried, it was a pity as he was playing well.

they started like a train in the second half and got the benefit of a few soft frees. we really couldn't kick it long as we couldn't win a ball in the area and they pinned us back well when we went short. there was some really sloppy passing which lead to turnovers and nothing stuck in the full forward line. at times it felt like we were kicking it off a wall as it kept coming back so quick. realistically during this period they should have got ahead. we had one brilliant move on a break out when sean byrne hit the crossbar but that attack was a rarity. the penalty looked harsh but Timmons should never have let it get that far. it lifted them but a lot of dogged defending and lillis three or four monster catches lifted the seize and got us home. after a few bad frees from evan, corbett came up and kicked the pressure 45.

corbett was very good, kickouts and composure were excellent. cahir started well, Hanrahan was good, I have seen Timmons better. paddy o Sullivan was excellent, closely followed by trevor Collins. lillis finally got into the game in the end after long quiet periods and was the pick of the midfield trio. lowry was excellent in a loose centre forward role and did huge work. ross was also very good and worked very hard. murphy and evan had moments of excellence but they both went completely out of the game after the first half. evan can be so frustrating, he is still missing frees to an extent that if corbett is to stay on the team I would have him taking them. it was another day, where he ended getting distracted and eventually booked which was a shame as he had the beating of his man. three big games left but a bit of breathing space.

town1980

Agree with Broan Abu incredible job being done at the moment a lesser Panay also I might add ,, we're playing so well big mike management well done

blueandwhite1

Quote from: town1980 on February 23, 2020, 10:46:01 PM
Agree with Broan Abu incredible job being done at the moment a lesser Panay also I might add ,, we're playing so well big mike management well done

I don't know what this means. What's a Panay?