Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 10:49:45 AM
Quote from: Minder on March 15, 2018, 10:46:50 AM
What's the obsession with GD MR2 ?!

I mentioned being 5 points ahead and 2nd in the league also.. GD difference is worth a point at the end of the season, can be the difference between first second or 4th and 5th in the leauge.. you dont find GD important?

The GD differential between United, Liverpool and Spurs is one. At this stage, with eight games left, that's meaningless. After 15 games (half the current total), United had a GD of 26, Liverpool 14 and Spurs 10. Which team(s) are more likely to pad their goal difference for the remainder of the season? Plus, United's points advantage is probably sufficient to guarantee them second at this stage anyway, unless Liverpool win all their remaining games (unlikely with Chelsea and Everton away) and United drops points to City and, maybe (big maybe) Arsenal.

AZOffaly

I don't think you can win the league with what Mourinho is doing these days. 1-0 to the Arsenal is a long time ago. Yes you need to be able to win when you play badly (a lesson Liverpool need to learn), but your approach has to be more adventurous because if you are that cautious, you are going to draw a lot, or lose games by making one mistake.

Plus United have some bloody good players!

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 11:11:01 AM
I don't think you can win the league with what Mourinho is doing these days. 1-0 to the Arsenal is a long time ago. Yes you need to be able to win when you play badly (a lesson Liverpool need to learn), but your approach has to be more adventurous because if you are that cautious, you are going to draw a lot, or lose games by making one mistake.

Plus United have some bloody good players!

It doesn't matter what way you play when City have accumulated points like they have this season.

I do think you can win a league with Mourinho's approach but it depends on whether the players are good enough and obviously how good the team are at the top, in this case City are brilliant.  Before the season I thought United were capable of winning the league by accumulating about 86/87 points. We won't get that many but we won't be a million miles off. I do think with a few more additions results and performances will improve but perhaps not to the extent to keep everyone happy.

How would Pep have done at United? I don't think there's a chance we'd be where City are, he inherited 5 of his front 6 in Fernandinho, Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling & Aguero. Look at the state of that United side that Mourinho inherited, it was appalling. Then there's the issue of money, Pep must have spent nearly £200m more than United in the same period. We would certainly be playing more entertaining football but I don't think we'd be any further along in the league or Europe and its a debate whether we'd have won the trohpies we won last season.

Asal Mor

Pep makes players better though. Attacking players seem to suffer under Mourinho's style. It doesn't matter what he inherited, he has Pogba, Rashford, Mata, Lukaku and Sanchez yet they're still not trusted to pass the ball through midfield and put a coherent attacking move together. Mourinho's tactics would be fitting for a team with Whelan and Andrews in midfield.

AZOffaly

seafoid

Man City started the current project in 2008. Everything was planned. Man Utd flogged the Fergie team to death and then dI'd everything short term. It is no wonder Mourinho isn't getting anywhere with them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2018, 11:45:57 AM
Man City started the current project in 2008. Everything was planned. Man Utd flogged the Fergie team to death and then dI'd everything short term. It is no wonder Mourinho isn't getting anywhere with them.

By bringing in a billionaire .. yeah, tough planning
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Pep also inherited a team that finished level on points with United & finished 5 pts behind Arsenal. Regards Mourinho "rebuilding", he had arguable the best GK in the world, he bought two central defenders, two centre midfielders, Sanchez & Lukaku off the top of my head. When will the rebuild be complete ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I'm not sure I'm buying the poor mouth as a reason for Mourinho's style. He has players like Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Sanchez but he doesn't want to use them in the best way. He has arguably the best keeper in the world (a major reason for MR2 beloved Goal Difference advantage :) ), and he has a player like Matic who is a very solid DM. There is the guts of a team there that can play a bit more optimistically. Anyway, I'll step out now. None of my business. I'm a Liverpool Fan :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 11:58:47 AM
I'm not sure I'm buying the poor mouth as a reason for Mourinho's style. He has players like Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Lukaku, Mata, Sanchez but he doesn't want to use them in the best way. He has arguably the best keeper in the world (a major reason for MR2 beloved Goal Difference advantage :) ), and he has a player like Matic who is a very solid DM. There is the guts of a team there that can play a bit more optimistically. Anyway, I'll step out now. None of my business. I'm a Liverpool Fan :)

I dont buy it either, Jose doesnt know his best team or trust them or himself enough to go at teams in the top six
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

It's a pointless debate anyway lads .... as you said yourself MR2 .... 2 bald men fighting over a comb!!!

magpie seanie

Guardiola inherited a City team that finished ahead of LVG's United on goal difference. It's seriously overegging things to suggest Guardiola inherited a significantly better side. Who spent the most since then doesn't particulalrly matter as both clubs pretty much have as much cash to spend as they want. If United needed to spend more and didn't that's Mourinho's fault.

Guardiola increased the gap to 9 points last season. Now it's 16. I'm not Guardiola's biggest fan but by any measure (bar a Europa league which Guardiola couldn't win as he wasn't in it) he has clearly outperformed Mourinho. They're actually live contenders for the CL in some peoples eyes which United are miles off.

As for the Spanish media coverage - mostly spot on. I like the word "troglodyte"....very apt.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2018, 11:58:47 AM

Money has nothing to do with Mourinho's style, that will never change. The football has been very disappointing at times but not every week, this is nothing like we had to endure under LVG. Points wise United haven't done that bad, not to far off where I expected them to be before the start of the season.

I agree we should be better to watch more consistently with the players he's got. There will be no excuses next season when if expected he brings in new players.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 12:37:15 PM
Guardiola inherited a City team that finished ahead of LVG's United on goal difference. It's seriously overegging things to suggest Guardiola inherited a significantly better side. Who spent the most since then doesn't particulalrly matter as both clubs pretty much have as much cash to spend as they want. If United needed to spend more and didn't that's Mourinho's fault.

Guardiola increased the gap to 9 points last season. Now it's 16. I'm not Guardiola's biggest fan but by any measure (bar a Europa league which Guardiola couldn't win as he wasn't in it) he has clearly outperformed Mourinho. They're actually live contenders for the CL in some peoples eyes which United are miles off.

As for the Spanish media coverage - mostly spot on. I like the word "troglodyte"....very apt.

Pep clearly has out performed Mourinho but he certainly inherited a better side.  Lets not forget he's also spent nearly £200m more than Mourinho too.

Where do you think we'd be with Pep in charge? Look at that squad LVG left, Martial ability wise would be capable of doing what Sane is but apart from De Gea and maybe Valenica at right back I just don't see anyone else who would have been first choice in a Pep team. He'd have needed to buy 2 centre halfs, a left back, 3 central midfielders, a right winger and a centre forward. The sort of money he's had at City wouldn't have been available at OT.

Rawhide

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2018, 12:37:15 PM

Your not Guardiola's biggest fan, clearly not a fan of Mourinho, out of curiosity would you telling us who you are a fan of?
cccc is a true supporter lol