Tyrone v Dublin for a place in the aisf. Omagh

Started by rrhf, July 15, 2018, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

omagh_gael

Jayop

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 16, 2018, 06:46:51 PM
David Coldrick down to ref this.

Reffed the game last year between us. To the very best of my memory he did very little wrong that day apart from maybe not send off Cavanagh for that high boot. I know in my musing elsewhere about the game in the aftermath I didn't mention him much so he can't have been too bad.

omagh_gael

To be fair, the wind was taken out of that game early doors so was a pretty easy game to ref for the remainder. I can see it being fiesty enough For the first while.

WT4E

Quote from: Jayop on July 16, 2018, 06:51:52 PM

Reffed the game last year between us. To the very best of my memory he did very little wrong that day apart from maybe not send off Cavanagh for that high boot. I know in my musing elsewhere about the game in the aftermath I didn't mention him much so he can't have been too bad.

Mickey blamed him for the loss - said he got in the way of a hand pass for Con O'C goal! :D

Jayop

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 16, 2018, 06:53:47 PM
To be fair, the wind was taken out of that game early doors so was a pretty easy game to ref for the remainder. I can see it being fiesty enough For the first while.

Just found that post I made last year on boards after the game and I think it's pretty accurate.

QuoteUgh. Ah well absolutely battered by a vastly superior team. I never really believed we'd win it but I was fairly positive we'd give them a game. The goal from an awful mistake was so significant to the game. We needed to be close and that killed it. After that we just made mistake after mistake and bad decisions. So many scorable chances badly missed while Dublin barely missed a shot all day.

As for the tactics, they were nothing like what we played all year. In defense largely down to how Dublin play we couldn't put a glove on them to tackle or pressurize and in attack we didn't run any of the lines that made us score so much before. Every carrier was isolated and the amount of times we bounced the ball into contact drove me crazy.

We switched up a lot in the second half, went two up then three and then almost man to man. Too little to late. I actually thought we played OK in the second half but missed everything. Dublin could have had another couple of goals too though.

All in all its a sobering enough day. It seems that there's a top 3 out on their own, then a big gap to us then a big gap to the rest. Whether we can close that gap before the rest close to us is hard to know. That game will be scaring for a lot of the young lads.

We just froze last year like rabbits in the head lights. Didn't pressurize the ball nearly enough in defense to force the turnovers that we live from and when we did turn the ball over rather than going running with 4/5 men like we've done in every  game before that and every game since we went with 2/3 and made it so easy for Dublin to stop our running game. Again, like the Mayo game the year before when the pressure was on we simply couldn't convert our scoring chances which we still somehow managed to create. Even missed the pen at the death.

All of those things will need to be put right. If Dublin are leaving men up not following our half backs then we just have to back ourselves to either kick the score or kick it wide then feed back.

Therealdonald

Are us Tyronies falling into the trap of believing our own hype? I at the moment can't see anything except a Tyrone win at this stage on Saturday night. I don't know where the optimism is coming from but its there.

Jayop

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 16, 2018, 07:39:18 PM
Are us Tyronies falling into the trap of believing our own hype? I at the moment can't see anything except a Tyrone win at this stage on Saturday night. I don't know where the optimism is coming from but its there.

Maybe a few are but I guess after last year I'm hopefully but for from convinced we'll win. Would still have Dubs as favourites.

Wildweasel74

You Believed last year and look what happened you. reality is you played one division 1 team so far in the championship and they beat you, why will this weekend be any different? Are Tyrone better up front than last year, probably yes, are Dublin as strong, probably no, only a few games ago Meath had you all but beat, and this Dublin team would have made mince meat of them. Is Tyrone record in Omagh not that hot?

Jayop

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 16, 2018, 07:58:11 PM
You Believed last year and look what happened you. reality is you played one division 1 team so far in the championship and they beat you, why will this weekend be any different? Are Tyrone better up front than last year, probably yes, are Dublin as strong, probably no, only a few games ago Meath had you all but beat, and this Dublin team would have made mince meat of them. Is Tyrone record in Omagh not that hot?

Yep and I think if you maybe read 3 posts back you would see that's exactly what i said and what the majority of the Tyrone posters here seem to be saying.

I will say you mentioned the Monaghan and Meath games. I will excuse those a little in saying that our most important player was badly off the pace as was Mccann given they were coming back from injuries. We were starting with yet another new system forced upon us by players being injured and that's Donnelly in the FF line. That has been a work in progress throughout the qualifiers and has really started to pay off.

I think we're a little better than last year and on the basis of what I saw on Saturday I think Dublin are a little worse, but Dublin still have gears to go through so we don't know how close to their best they can get and likewise with Tyrone we've racked up big scores but against teams that gave up after about 25 minutes.

Finally, no Omagh sure isn't a fortress but I'd still give us more chance of winning there than in Croker against you.

tiempo

Quote from: WT4E on July 16, 2018, 06:54:24 PM
Quote from: Jayop on July 16, 2018, 06:51:52 PM

Mickey blamed him for the loss - said he got in the way of a hand pass for Con O'C goal! :D

Cant believe Sludden didnt get hooked the last day, not an honest broker for the first goal, shuda been touch tight on their CHB or better still inside the Tyrone 45 when Ros gave the ball away, how anyone tolerates this peacockery is beyond me. There should be mandatory transfer to Ardboe so can play in the FF line alongside Kyle Coney for anyone who steps this far out of line.

inthrough

Jim Gavin very unhappy with Dublin's performance against Donegal. I expect to see Dublin players playing for places against Tyrone & a five point win.

Masterstroke by Declan Bonner ;D ;D ;D

Fuzzman

I'm curious who the neutrals and anti Tyrone /puke football fans want to win on Saturday.

There seems to be an almost total U turn in the media and in people's attitude about where Tyrone are at.
Last week the focus was on how Monaghan beat us at a canter and how Meath nearly knocked us out. We've no star forwards like Dublin, Kerry or Donegal have yet suddenly after two huge score lines against two 2nd rate teams we are in with a shout again at home to the best team ever.

It's almost England like in the world Cup.

I just hope the home fans play their part on Sat and create a hostile atmosphere for the Dubs.
As you can imagine for us Tyrone fans living in Dublin this is a huge match that I never thought I'd see happening. Dubs in Omagh in July. Crazy stuff 🧐

rrhf

Quote from: Therealdonald on July 16, 2018, 07:39:18 PM
No. We are happy with the win last week, but the dubs will rip our defence apart. A good game and a closing of the gap but the Dubs by 4.

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 16, 2018, 11:20:07 PM
I'm curious who the neutrals and anti Tyrone /puke football fans want to win on Saturday.

There seems to be an almost total U turn in the media and in people's attitude about where Tyrone are at.
Last week the focus was on how Monaghan beat us at a canter and how Meath nearly knocked us out. We've no star forwards like Dublin, Kerry or Donegal have yet suddenly after two huge score lines against two 2nd rate teams we are in with a shout again at home to the best team ever.

It's almost England like in the world Cup.

I just hope the home fans play their part on Sat and create a hostile atmosphere for the Dubs.
As you can imagine for us Tyrone fans living in Dublin this is a huge match that I never thought I'd see happening. Dubs in Omagh in July. Crazy stuff 🧐

Not even Donegal supporters were cheering for Tyrone on Saturday. That tells you where neutrals' hold Tyrone.