The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 13, 2017, 07:41:33 PM

You might be right. This is no time for complacency.
Pretty much everything that has come from Republicans since November 2016 has been sodden through with complacency.

It's fascinating to watch.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on December 13, 2017, 07:37:14 PM
It doesn't matter what you're hearing, if I'm being honest. Trump appeals to a segement of the right, but no one else. It sets him at a severe handicap in general elections as in all but the last one (because the other nominee proved equally divisive) you need to solidify your base to win. Trump didn't even come close to doing that even at his brightest moment. And the energy on the left to remove him will be just as great as any passion there is for him on the alt-right.

Even the democrats won't be able to fumble the ball like the did last year a second time.
There is no left as we understand it. Even Sanders would pass for a Conservative in Ireland. College educated liberals will shout for women's rghts and LGBT rights but economically they couldn't give a sh**e for the low waged, unemployed etc. Trump doesn't either but he has them convinced he does. If you know any tradesmen in USA ask them what they think. You'll be surprised.

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on December 13, 2017, 08:53:03 PM
It doesn't matter what you're hearing, if I'm being honest. Trump appeals to a segement of the right, but no one else. It sets him at a severe handicap in general elections as in all but the last one (because the other nominee proved equally divisive) you need to solidify your base to win. Trump didn't even come close to doing that even at his brightest moment. And the energy on the left to remove him will be just as great as any passion there is for him on the alt-right.

Even the democrats won't be able to fumble the ball like the did last year a second time.
There is no left as we understand it. Even Sanders would pass for a Conservative in Ireland. College educated liberals will shout for women's rghts and LGBT rights but economically they couldn't give a sh**e for the low waged, unemployed etc. Trump doesn't either but he has them convinced he does. If you know any tradesmen in USA ask them what they think. You'll be surprised.

Nope. And that's also a total no-sequitur.

whitey

Quote from: mrhardyannual on December 13, 2017, 08:53:03 PM

He would in his hole

Gmac

Trump was elected on 4/5  policy issues he said he would take care of
The southern border with Mexico building the wall
Do something about isis
Remove usa from perceived bad trade /climate  agreements
Quit the pc bs in politics call it as u see it
Bring back jobs to the USA
It helped Clinton was his opponent but these are the issues he was elected on and it may seem simplistic but ithey are the reasons and the dems had opposite opinion on every one of them and he has delivered on some of them already so he will not be defeated very easily.

seafoid

Quote from: Gmac on December 13, 2017, 09:23:08 PM
Do something about isis
It helped Clinton was his opponent but these are the issues he was elected on and it may seem simplistic but ithey are the reasons and the dems had opposite opinion on every one of them and he has delivered on some of them already so he will not be defeated very easily.
He hasn't delivered on jobs.
He gave huge tax cuts to the rich.
And he sacked Comey.

Loser
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on December 13, 2017, 09:56:13 PM
Do something about isis
And he sacked Comey.

Loser
nobody gives a damn about comey, unemployment is at 4%, there has been no tax cuts as of today .im on the ground here not reading the gaurdian

theskull1

Break down of who voted for whom in the Alabama election

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQ5Zi23UMAAZYWr.jpg

QuoteFor every 100 voters : 35 are white men, 31 are white women, 11 are black men, 17 are black women, and 6 are unspecified in race and vote
9.45 white men support Jones. 10.85 white women support Jones. 10.23 black men support Jones. 16.66 black women support Jones.

:o

There's definitely a lineage in the mindset of white folk over there with their founding fathers (whacky puritans). Its very Free P like isn't it when it comes to the type of individual they vote for. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

Quote from: Gmac on December 13, 2017, 10:46:32 PM
Do something about isis
And he sacked Comey.

Loser
nobody gives a damn about comey, unemployment is at 4%, there has been no tax cuts as of today .im on the ground here not reading the gaurdian

US Unemployment Rate

https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

Don't see much of Trump effect there. Simply the same trend since 2010. Not that I would hold it against him if it levels off - you can only go so low.

The tax cuts will be passed next week, barring some last minute hitch.

Mueller gives a damn about Comey. And Trump definitely gives a damn about Mueller.

As for political correctness, if you think bald-faced lying and endless childish tantrums and coarse insults is a good thing, well each to their own I guess. I don't see how he is doing the country any favours, either internally or externally on that count. Or his party for that matter.

Border wall... we'll see.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 13, 2017, 07:41:33 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on December 13, 2017, 07:18:57 PM
I'm not a Trump supporter, nor a Republican but have children living in the States and a very wide circle of friends and relations across the country. Some are die-hard Republicans, others very active Democrats. Some are former Democrats who are now Trump-Republicans but I know no Democrats who were former Republicans.

Watching people discuss American politics on the Board and elsewhere is like listening to Europeans discussing American gun culture. We just don't get it. We know what we think is the rational approach to guns, we know what a sane response to gun violence should be but we can't get the measure of the the gun-toting brigade. It's the same with Trump. You would imagine that he is in a weak position (if he headed a European democracy he'd be gone) and since we didn't expect to see him get there we don't expect him to survive. But we are judging by European standards and as such judgements are flawed.

I am amazed by the people I know to be well balanced people in secure employment, who would be moderates at home here who are Trump supporters. East coast Democrats are very liberal on social issues but have no feel for the working class. This is what Trump has tapped into. And if we think that he will be easily defeated we have learned nothing. The more the Democrats concentrate on liberal social matters the more they isolate themselves from the white-working class who rightly or wrongly see themselves as the great contributors and the least beneficiaries.

I can't wait to see the back of Trump but based on what I'm hearing I give him a better than 50% chance of getting a second term.

You might be right. This is no time for complacency. The Dems had an open net in Alabama, and yet a prosecutor of KKK men had a hard team defeating a mysoginist alleged child molester. In a normal country it would have been a landslide even if someone as crazy as Moore managed to get on the ballot without being laughed off the stage like Lord Such. The US is not a normal country. All manner of deranged wackos and sickos get on the ballot and sometimes they manage to win.

And add in the fact that Republicans can vote in the Democratic Primary and Democrats can vote in the Republican primary you have all the ingredients of a train wreck. The idea is you cross Party lines to get the weakest opposition candidate on the ballot.  I have done this many myself many times

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=291110

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on December 14, 2017, 12:35:26 AM
Do something about isis
And he sacked Comey.

Loser

US Unemployment Rate

Don't see much of Trump effect there. Simply the same trend since 2010. Not that I would hold it against him if it levels off - you can only go so low.

Mueller gives a damn about Comey. And Trump definitely gives a damn about Mueller.

As for political correctness, if you think bald-faced lying and endless childish tantrums and coarse insults is a good thing, well each to their own I guess. I don't see how he is doing the country any favours, either internally or externally on that count. Or his party for that matter.

im saying there the reasons he was elected and that electorate do not care too much about comey and any politician would take credit for stats that make them look good.
Both parties are broken and need to be remade from the ground up ,trump is the result of it

J70

Quote from: Gmac on December 14, 2017, 12:57:39 AM
Do something about isis
And he sacked Comey.

Loser

US Unemployment Rate

im saying there the reasons he was elected and that electorate do not care too much about comey and any politician would take credit for stats that make them look good.
Both parties are broken and need to be remade from the ground up ,trump is the result of it

Fair enough, although I would qualify that by saying that the Republicans are a mess because of their shift way to the right and their long embrace of ignorance, ultimately leading to Trump, while the Dems currently exist as a watery, nebulous anti-Republican party, defined more by their opposition to the excesses of the GOP than anything positive of their own. The GOP has a vision or ethos, fucked up as it may be. The Dems are the status quo party (not unusual after two presidential terms) and lack a forceful, charismatic leader with a plan. Say what you will about Trump, but there's no question he is in charge and people listen when he talks, even if in horror.

seafoid

Do something about isis
And he sacked Comey.

Loser

US Unemployment Rate

2 things about that chart
It doesn't include people who have given up looking for work. The real level is more like 13%. Labour participation fell by 8 percentage points in 2008 and never recovered.

Under business as usual if unemployment is low pay rises are high and people are happy. But payrises are nor happening especially for poor people in red states. . So the result is political rage. Trump tapped into that but did nothing to address the drivers of it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

stew

That is brilliant, keep thinking like that, the alt right is not the reason Trump won the election, you are as delusional as the democrats. If the democrats keep this attitude in 2020 they are toast! Their arrogance and stupidity knows no bounds.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.