The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 10:18:30 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2017, 09:51:02 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:43:19 AM
Fox News criticizing Trump. This is uncharted territory.
Fox depends on ads.
There are very few Yank Nazis with money

There are very few Nazi yanks period, end of!

Either there are enough of them to make Trump see their support as significant, or he really does have some core beliefs.

Denn Forever

Was listening to a Radio Program from the States ?(on RTE One Extra).  Is is it true that Alaska is being opened to sport hunting of Black Bears even Cubs?  Is this true? 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

stew

Quote from: J70 on August 16, 2017, 10:55:41 AM
Fox depends on ads.

Either there are enough of them to make Trump see their support as significant, or he really does have some core beliefs.

If there are enough of them where were they???
You know there are not plenty of them but hey, the liberals are all about taking down statues and spitting on them ad kicking them etc, throwing pish at the police etc, whats next? burning books and going after citizens that think differently???

Or he can believe his own eyes, two groups of knackers going at each other and the cops standing back and taking it all in.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Try putting up a statue of Erwin Rommel in Germany and see how you get on.

I guess the Germans are "rewriting history" by not having any statues of Nazis.

Or something something.

J70

Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 12:46:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 16, 2017, 10:55:41 AM
Fox depends on ads.

If there are enough of them where were they???
You know there are not plenty of them but hey, the liberals are all about taking down statues and spitting on them ad kicking them etc, throwing pish at the police etc, whats next? burning books and going after citizens that think differently???

Or he can believe his own eyes, two groups of knackers going at each other and the cops standing back and taking it all in.

I didn't say there were a lot of them.

I said, clearly, that either there are a lot of them (or he believes there are and he doesn't want to lose the support of) OR he actually really believes in some of the same shite they do. There is no other rational explanation for his latest unhinged performances.

And the issue is his giving comfort to the alt right and his drawing a moral equivalence between their ethos and the people who oppose them. We are not talking about a debate over the best way to raise government revenue or to run healthcare, which morally sound people could legitimately disagree over. This is not some academic argument over some theory of running a country.

As for the statues, how about let's stick a big monument to the Parachute Regiment up on the Bogside. It's just a statue after all. Or a few busts of Billy Wright around Armagh?

Lee, Jackson, Davis and the rest were trying to save slavery. They don't deserve to be honoured. The "heritage" they represent is repugnant.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 02:15:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2017, 01:31:13 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2017, 11:53:31 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2017, 01:36:56 AM
There are many parallels between these Trump supporting fascists 'protecting' their 'culture' from 'annihilation'  and the union flag orange mob protestors in Belfast. Peas of same pod, if that's the saying.
A lot of KKK people originally were Ulster Scots. It is a very dysfunctional culture.
Scottish culture is grand. I wonder why there is a difference

Source/links?

You are getting worse than TF   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://www.tartansauthority.com/Global-Scots/us-scots-history/hillbillies-and-rednecks

Hillbillies
The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish (The often incorrectly labeled "Scots-Irish") settlers in the hill-country of Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.

Supporters of King William were known as Orangemen and Billy Boys and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as hill-billies. It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, 'Hurrah! Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!' and shares its tune with the famous American Civil War song, Marching Through Georgia.

Stories abound of American National Guard units from Southern states being met upon disembarking in Britain during the First and Second World Wars with that tune, much to their displeasure! One of these stories comes from Colonel Ward Schrantz, a noted historian and native of Carthage, Missouri ative, and veteran of the Mexican - and veteran of the mexican Border Campaign, as well as the First and Second World Wars - documented a story where the US Army's 30th Division, made up of National Guard units from Georgia, North and South Carolina and Tennessee arrived in the United Kingdom...'a waiting British band broke into welcoming American music, and the soldiery, even the 118th Field Artillery and the 105 Medical Battalion from Georgia, broke into laughter.The excellence of intent and the ignorance of the origins of the American music being equally obvious. The welcoming tune was Marching Through Georgia.'

Redneck
The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or Covenanters, largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.

Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term Red neck, which became slang for a Scottish dissenter. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar - is this symbolic of the rednecks? Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially in the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that red-neck was a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians. It makes one wonder if the originators of the ever-present redneck jokes are aware of the term's origins

The KKK were poor white red-neck trash

so all hill billies are KKK?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

More like all KKK were Hillbillies. . . much like they are all Republican also.

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on August 16, 2017, 12:52:47 PM

Or something something.

Siddels, the statue the liberal scumbags tore down had stood for a hundred years  funnily enough until your smowflake friends showed up no one had a problem with it, the cops are going to be making arrests and stop these knackers from going taliban again and from destroying national monuments that have stood for more than a lifetime, go burn sone books siddels (
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 02:54:05 PM

Or something something.

Siddels, the statue the liberal scumbags tore down had stood for a hundred years  funnily enough until your smowflake friends showed up no one had a problem with it, the cops are going to be making arrests and stop these knackers from going taliban again and from destroying national monuments that have stood for more than a lifetime, go burn sone books siddels (

It went up in the 20s, you know, the zenith of KKK membership and activism in the US.

How much support do you think this statue had in the town of Durham, where less than half the population are white?

You think the average black person wants to sit at the foot of a confederate statue in their local town centre?

What's your opinion on the toppling of the Saddam statue in Baghdad?

Or the blowing up of Nelson's Pillar in O'Connell St in 1966?

AZOffaly

I don't think Trump is 'causing' this stuff, I think he is exposing it. It appears that there is a deep and widening rift in the US between left and right. That's rarely smooth riding, and the sooner a recalibration of the centre comes around, the better. To see left wing protesters behaving like that in North Carolina was fairly startling.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2017, 03:03:03 PM
I don't think Trump is 'causing' this stuff, I think he is exposing it. It appears that there is a deep and widening rift in the US between left and right. That's rarely smooth riding, and the sooner a recalibration of the centre comes around, the better. To see left wing protesters behaving like that in North Carolina was fairly startling.

Perhaps, but they will pay the legal penalties for their actions.

Part of the issue, apparently, was they tired of waiting for the political channels to act and were stung into action by the events of Charlottesville.

Dylan Roof unleashed the Confederate symbol stuff. It's not going back in the bottle.

And yes, Trump is an outcome, albeit a collaborative one.

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 02:54:05 PM

Or something something.

So what?

Loads of things which don't represent racism and slavery stand for 100 years and are demolished.

The statue represents racism and slavery, it's not wanted and a democratic decision was taken to remove it.

What's that line you right-wing weirdos loving trotting out, again?

Oh yeah, "you lost, get over it".

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2017, 03:03:03 PM

Is Trump a cause of this? Yeah I really think he is some of his campaign rhetoric about "these people" and "punch 'em in the face" and "I know what we would have done in the old days" is driving what we're seeing now.

The Nazi's and White Supremacist's views have been taken into the mainstream and they think it's acceptable now because the President is saying it.

While America has come a long way in terms of racism I think this is a critical point and these Supremacists/Nazi's need put back in their box so that the country can move on!!

Trump needs to get the f**k out too. . . Is there any possible way things would be worse under Clinton?!

I think not!

AZOffaly

I think Trump has exposed it. He's not making people hold these views, but as you say he is probably facilitating and emboldening them.

In terms of racism, I think the US has undoubtedly come a long way from the Jim Crow laws etc, however in terms of race tension, I'm not sure it has.

seafoid

Some Nazi in Google wrote a memo saying women were not physically or emotionally capable of being engineers. All hell broke loose. The CEO wanted to have a town hall meeting to discuss. It was abandoned after the Nazis threatened to attack anyone who spoke, on social media 
Milo Yiannopolis was in the middle of it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU