The Christmas Thread

Started by Square Ball, October 15, 2007, 01:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ard-Rí

If there's anything worse than ignorance of Irish, it's making people insecure about speaking it because they haven't reached technical mastery of the language.

Nollaig shona daoibh go léir, bainigí taitneamh as an séasúr.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

stephenite

Quote from: Ard-Rí on December 26, 2012, 06:28:45 AM
If there's anything worse than ignorance of Irish, it's making people insecure about speaking it because they haven't reached technical mastery of the language.

Amen to that, plenty on here too, most of them should be concentrating on Ulster Scots

ONeill

Quote from: hardstation on December 26, 2012, 12:53:09 AM
Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 12:22:59 AM
Simple enough I thought.

Hoors writing as gaelige because they think they should at Christmas so copy and paste it thinking they're bastions of gaeldom. Then there are the Merry Christmas wishers. Feck away off. I hope you have a Happy New Year my hole. You'll not be thinking of my New Year. Nor do my travails interest you. Bollocks off the lot of you. Merry f**king Christmas eh? What if I don't have one? What ye gonna do then eh? Empty balaxing words. Save yer feckin breath. Happy buckin birthday. Hugs and shaking hands. Not happening.

On the whole though, I got a subscription to Astronomy Online. But sure I asked for it.
Oh dear. Good rant but "as gaelige" has killed it for me. First off it's gaeilge.

Second and most important, I don't know where the phrase "as gaeilge" came from but it seems to be only used by clowns. In the Gaeltacht areas throughout Ireland, they will always use i nGaeilge or similar.
We need to get rid of as Gaeilge...anois.

That's my point ye balax. I haven't a clue what she means.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately.

ONeill

Quote from: Ulick on December 26, 2012, 02:03:41 AM
Don't do the "merry Christmas" thing myself or "happy birthday" either for that matter. Have to admit to "Nollaig shona" though that's only because we're making an effort with the language since the wee man started naíonra.

Good man. You sound well balanced and at one with the cosmos.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on December 26, 2012, 01:55:34 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 26, 2012, 12:22:40 AM
So did I! Apparently there is a free XL fleece with it. The missus says it might be too small!

There was a postcard came through the door yesterday mentioning something about a free gift, but I burnt it so I could look surprised today. Still chuffed though. Rarely have time for reading newspapers so National Geographic once a month should be spot on.
Sorry if I ruined the surprise! NG is a great read - the wife's granny had a lifetime subscription so we got loads of them when her auld pair were clearing out the house last year.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 08:26:18 AM

Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately.
Arrra, get up the yard, ya baldy oul' goat; you, of all people, have some neck in complaining about the shite that anyone else posts.
I bet the any time a moany Tyronie grabbed the Sam Maguire and screeched, "A chairde Ghaeil, tá .an-áthas orm an corn seo a ghlachadh..." into a bloody microphone, ya didn't let it bother ya, did ya?
So who's the hypocrite then, hah?
As you put it succinctly (like that one?) yourself:
"Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately."

Watch your inbox... Grrrr..!!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

There is obviously a little insecurity going on from some fans of boxing day coz I said stephen's day. It was a really obvious rise lads. I'm suprised lads fell for it, but I suppose ye had the drink on board. Regarding the Irish issue, I think alot of Irish people talk it to some degree, I do. Also what is wrong with urban or non-gaeltacht area interpretations of the language. Any living language should grow and unfortubatly have the balls to get bastardised. I don't like to write it, as you see most people hete struggle to write English without error never mind Irish. Writing on phone here so editing is a problem.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 26, 2012, 02:05:16 PM

Arrra, get up the yard, ya baldy oul' goat; you, of all people, have some neck in complaining about the shite that anyone else posts.
I bet the any time a moany Tyronie grabbed the Sam Maguire and screeched, "A chairde Ghaeil, tá .an-áthas orm an corn seo a ghlachadh..." into a bloody microphone, ya didn't let it bother ya, did ya?
"Any hoor who is insecure about something on the gaaboard needs to be relentlessly bullied. Immediately."

Bothers me? Of course it bothered me. Brian Dooher fumbling around a few words in Irish in a Donemana accent and no one had a clue what he's saying. Waste of breath.

ONeill

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 26, 2012, 02:35:35 PM
There is obviously a little insecurity going on from some fans of boxing day coz I said stephen's day. It was a really obvious rise lads. I'm suprised lads fell for it, but I suppose ye had the drink on board. Regarding the Irish issue, I think alot of Irish people talk it to some degree, I do. Also what is wrong with urban or non-gaeltacht area interpretations of the language. Any living language should grow and unfortubatly have the balls to get bastardised. I don't like to write it, as you see most people hete struggle to write English without error never mind Irish. Writing on phone here so editing is a problem.

Lucksee, could you try to put those words in the correct order. Is it a Christmas quiz? You're living proof of clifts who hang on to bits of different tongues but can't string an intelligible sentence in any.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 05:25:47 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 26, 2012, 02:35:35 PM

Lucksee, could you try to put those words in the correct order. Is it a Christmas quiz? You're living proof of clifts who hang on to bits of different tongues but can't string an intelligible sentence in any.

You O'Neill are just an angry lad from Tryone. There are alot of you lads. Hope you enjoyed Stephen's Day. Is "Clift" Tyroneese?

AFS

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 25, 2012, 11:30:53 PM
Quote from: AFS on December 25, 2012, 10:40:22 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 25, 2012, 10:06:05 PM
Looking forward to Stephen's tomorrow.

Aye, big fan of Boxing Day myself.

Brits usually do  ;)

Great stuff so far. Heading for a few shortly to finish off the day. Hopefully yours was as pleasant out Connaught way.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AFS on December 26, 2012, 07:15:08 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 25, 2012, 11:30:53 PM
Quote from: AFS on December 25, 2012, 10:40:22 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 25, 2012, 10:06:05 PM
Looking forward to Stephen's tomorrow.

Aye, big fan of Boxing Day myself.

Brits usually do  ;)

Great stuff so far. Heading for a few shortly to finish off the day. Hopefully yours was as pleasant out Connaught way.

That's more like it  ;D

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ONeill on December 26, 2012, 05:21:12 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 26, 2012, 02:05:16 PM

Bothers me? Of course it bothered me. Brian Dooher fumbling around a few words in Irish in a Donemana accent and no one had a clue what he's saying. Waste of breath.
Was at school with Dooher, smart cub, good at Irish too, good at everything. Donemana isnt too far from where last native speakers in Tyrone lived so accent would be pretty authentic

Croí na hÉireann

Trust you all had a merry drunken one and wish you get beaten all ends up by Westmeath in the new year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...