Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Monaghan are a great football team. Next Sunday is gonna be great.

omaghjoe

Where's Main St?

This is the longest a Tyrone thread has been up without him trolling it

nrico2006

Tyrone should be stronger for this game than they were in May, with Brennan, Bradley and Cavanagh now fully fit.  Should be a tight game but I would expect Tyrone to edge it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

It's great to see Tyrone give these poor Derry, Armagh and other sad b'tards from counties who can't get anywhere these days like Meath, something to cheer for and have a bit of interest in this time of year.
Of  course the neutral will be hoping for plucky wee Monaghan, with such a small population, to exact revenge for McManus in Brolly eyes.
I can see him now saying how good always overpowes evil in the end.

Must agree with some posters views yesterday how Joanne cantwell did a much better job that yes man Lybster regarding not letting Brolly and Co get away with inaccurate statements. She's sharp and pulls them up when they contradict themselves.

Weird season where you could make it to an AI final having already lost twice, once to the team in the Semi and once to the time in the AI final.
Even weirder that no sign of Kerry or Mayo who we have struggled to beat for 10 years.
The Monaghan manager, no doubt will be drawing comparisons with meetings with Tyrone in Croker from previous years and how they need to learn from that and overcome that mental block.
I wonder will he also talk about 2001 when Derry came back to beat Tyrone having beaten them earlier that year.

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2018, 12:05:43 AM
Tyrone strangely are the bookies favorites despite Monaghan's better season and the fact that they have beaten Tyrone twice already this season. Providing Monaghan don't get distracted by the noise around them, I think they have the ability to get to the final.

If you are predicting what will happen next weekend based on the fact that Monaghan have beaten Tyrone already this season then you have little knowledge of the recent championship meetings between these two. If anything, the nightmares of previous Croke Park knock out defeats after they have beaten Tyrone earlier that season, will just add another psychological barrier for this Monaghan team to overcome.
That was never a square ball!!

RedHand88

Everything went right for Monaghan in Omagh in May, everything. They were scoring ridiculous points from every angle they wouldn't any other day and this coupled with us losing 2 key forwards early on meant it was always an uphill struggle. Even with this in their favour they never pulled away until near the end.

We are a far better fitter outfit since then. As they said on the Sunday game last night, our bench has contributed 8 points per game which is an incredible card to play. I fully expect Tyrones conditioning to see them through.
We really really need to watch giving away frees though in scorable positions. (Anything past their own 45 with Beggans ability  ::) ) Do a number on McManus like we did on Murphy yesterday and we're grand.

BennyCake

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 06, 2018, 08:25:06 AM
It's great to see Tyrone give these poor Derry, Armagh and other sad b'tards from counties who can't get anywhere these days like Meath, something to cheer for and have a bit of interest in this time of year.

Get over yourself Fuzz. If Carlow and Leitrim were at this stage, people would still be interested in the game and posting on the threads.

If you can't handle a bit of stick and banter, then maybe you should stay off the board.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:03:09 AM

Get over yourself Fuzz. If Carlow and Leitrim were at this stage, people would still be interested in the game and posting on the threads.

If you can't handle a bit of stick and banter, then maybe you should stay off the board.

The level of irony in this post is spectacular.  ;D I'd say Fuzz cares not one jot what our friends in Armagh or Derry think. You however are getting a tad aggressive. Enjoy the rest of the championship lads, looking forward to your neutral input.
That was never a square ball!!

RedHand88

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about." ~Oscar Wilde

BennyCake

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 06, 2018, 10:14:38 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 06, 2018, 10:03:09 AM

The level of irony in this post is spectacular.  ;D I'd say Fuzz cares not one jot what our friends in Armagh or Derry think. You however are getting a tad aggressive. Enjoy the rest of the championship lads, looking forward to your neutral input.

You Tyronies really are a touchy lot.

Schkite

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 09:23:49 AM
Everything went right for Monaghan in Omagh in May, everything. They were scoring ridiculous points from every angle they wouldn't any other day and this coupled with us losing 2 key forwards early on meant it was always an uphill struggle. Even with this in their favour they never pulled away until near the end.

We are a far better fitter outfit since then. As they said on the Sunday game last night, our bench has contributed 8 points per game which is an incredible card to play. I fully expect Tyrones conditioning to see them through.
We really really need to watch giving away frees though in scorable positions. (Anything past their own 45 with Beggans ability  ::) ) Do a number on McManus like we did on Murphy yesterday and we're grand.

It's amazing the excuses you lot can come up with. Everything went right for us and everything went wrong for yous, wasn't that awful unfortunate. Seems like a formality this weekend now that your horrid luck is gone  ::)

yellowcard

Not to mention the fact that Monaghan actually beat Tyrone on their home patch.

Tyrone actually have a poor record in semi finals since last their AI winning team. Tyrone might have been missing Brennan earlier in the championship but will he even be a starter next weekend, I doubt it. Cavanagh also did play in the Omagh defeat earlier in the championship. Revisionism at its best.

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2018, 10:56:23 AM

Tyrone actually have a poor record in semi finals since last their AI winning team. Tyrone might have been missing Brennan earlier in the championship but will he even be a starter next weekend, I doubt it. Cavanagh also did play in the Omagh defeat earlier in the championship. Revisionism at its best.

Cork the year before they won an all ireland, Mayo, Kerry, Dublin. Are Monaghan in that category? I havent seen anything yet to say they are.

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 11:00:11 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2018, 10:56:23 AM

Cork the year before they won an all ireland, Mayo, Kerry, Dublin. Are Monaghan in that category? I havent seen anything yet to say they are.

Of course they aren't, all of those teams won AI titles at some stage. I see it very much as a 50/50 match and both sides will think they have a great chance of getting to a final.

Rois

Quote from: Schkite on August 06, 2018, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2018, 09:23:49 AM

It's amazing the excuses you lot can come up with. Everything went right for us and everything went wrong for yous, wasn't that awful unfortunate. Seems like a formality this weekend now that your horrid luck is gone  ::)
I remember thinking the score flattered us and I had no complaints. However, I also think we've improved.  Really looking fwd to it as it should be pretty evenly matched.