Which is the Better Action Plan for Mayo: Liam Horan's or the County Board's?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, May 18, 2011, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the Better Action Plan for Mayo: Liam Horan's or the County Board's?

Horan's
18 (90%)
The Board's
2 (10%)
Action Plan? What Action Plan?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

the Deel Rover

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on May 30, 2011, 03:57:23 PM
Quote from: prewtna on May 30, 2011, 11:05:19 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 26, 2011, 10:45:43 AM
Quote from: nephinman on May 26, 2011, 12:10:00 AM
If I may say so Sniper I agree with you. But isn't the problem that at every club AGM you have been to, or in me own case, year in year out, AGM's with different clubs  :-[, when the jobs are up for grabs its very hard to fill the top chairs. So in a club its either the same browbeaten reliable duty bound volunteer who takes a job or the guy with the bit of an ego who wants to rub shoulders with the big boys who will end up representing the club.

One guy only half wants to be there and the other who loves it will no way in hell rock the boat.

Just my opinion from observing over the years. :'(

You're spot on nephinman. That's the craic in most clubs. The County Board only love that. Delegates are all too often fodder for the board who are kept happy with ticket access etc when the good times come. I think the GAA needs to badly look at its structure. We only have a facade of democracy. Either the club secretary or chairman must be the county board delegate as well or some other method needs to be used to ensure that the delegate sent over doesn't turn out to be a yes man which happens at the moment all too often when the club's delegate is far from the top of their priorities.

ye two lads have yer fingers on the pulse as regards the co board and delegates. i can add a little to that however.

our club had a admitadely brief discussion about the Plan a couple of weeks ago. basically our delegate was told by the assembled members who obviously hadnt read the bloody thing - do whatever the county board wants cos they will screw us if we dont.

after sundays farce we are now going to struggle in a massive way to sell the fecking co board draw tickets. if i had my own way id tell them to shove mchale park up their arses and let us get on with trying to put footballs in the hands of young fellas and jerseys on their backs.

as far as im concerned the county board are a shower of  - insert your own expletives here....

Nail on head, we have to shift 153 of these tickets, we have about 130 members. sickening.

the clubs need to get together and tell the county board fairly soon what to do with thier tickets. Do they realaise how hard it is to sell €100 euro tickets in this current climate. They have saddled the clubs  with debt and one has to question their motives . How much did they mc hale park development cost ? i was watching armagh on saturday and i'm sure i'm sure i hear marty morrisey saying that the develpoment cost 5 million but jesus there is no comparision in the two stadiums . f**king sick of  the lot of them  >:(
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

maigheo

Good article in this weeks Mayo news from sean rice about the action plan debacle.The whole saga would make you despair for the future of mayo football.Anybody know what the final cost of the mchale park renovation is?

sans pessimism

Like all the plans that have gone before it,consigned to the bin and forgotten about
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2011, 04:58:51 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mayo-county-board-under-pressure-over-handling-of-financial-affairs-529630.html

It is a frightening state of affairs and the compliance of the clubs in all of this is a scandal. The project should never have been signed off in the first place. By the time most people realise how bad the problem is, it will be too late to do anything other than drastic about it. People think losing to Longford was bad for Mayo football. It was of little significance in comparison to this.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

highking

Frightening indeed the over-run on the cost of this. To think that Eur10,000 a week is needed to pay the interest only on the debt. That sort of money isnt available around Mayo GAA at the moment. And to think that we were all asked to dig deep over the past decade as things were tight. If things were tight why in the hell was so much borrowed.
The only way out of this that I can see is to split the McHale Park project away from the day to day runnings of the county board. All the bad debt and problems to be seperated away from the county board and a proper McHale Park management committee put in place. This way the committees sole job is to make it viable and pay back its debts. Concerts, shows, fairs, weddings and festivals will have to be looked at to get money flowing in. A full time CEO or Marketing person will be needed for this. Seperate to that will be the county GAA board which deals solely with GAA teams, games, coaching and the day-to-day running of the GAA in Mayo. Mayo GAA needs professional direction over the next few years or else this problem could escalate into clubs folding due to defaulting on their Eur15,000 affiliations at the start of the year. Its a serious crisis alright.

nephinman

Well, the County Board AGM on tomorrow night, Monday 5th. Watch the lads cut it up between them, the power hungry guys with the ego's. Will they say their goodbyes, thank everyone and walk away. I don't think so. Watch the same faces stick and shaft all round them just to stay in the loop.

And ya know what, we as gaa people have let them & done feck all about it. They canvass, charm & nod/wink at our club delegates you know, many of whom feel they are in the inner sanctum. This is where we should start in our clubs and airbriush our own gooks out of their little cabals.

Anyways, got that off mine chest tonight  :-\

Coolio

It looks like we're being led into the storm by a captain that everyone wants to mutiny against...

Just like this country after the bluster that came out on television  :) (Ah no, Enda's not that bad...)

Will anything of substance happen at this meeting tonight or will it just be the status quo again?
We're the devils men...

prewtna

was anyone at the county convention last night?

i didnt make it myself - geesala is a bit too much of a trek on a busy weekday evening with clients screaming for stuff to go out the door before xmas. you'd almost think they didnt want us to go?!!

fecking thing should be mchale park on a weekend afternoon - i think it was kiltaine who proposed something along these lines in the little book they sent out.

nephinman

Well it looks like one top cat who wanted to stay in the game (like i stated above) got his ar*e handed to him on a plate big time. The clubs saw it for what it was and fair play to the & in particular North mayo clubs, well done, I tip my hat to you all  ;D.

Pity some more of the same Gooks got put back in  ???

Anyway more later,

Nephinman  ;)

Coolio

Thanks Nephinman... Maybe the clubs were taking it easy and we're gunna knock them off their perch one at a time?!  ::) :D
We're the devils men...

Tubberman

There's a great debate/discussion/row going on over on http://mayogaablog.com/?p=8860 for those with an interest in the finances of the Co Board and the fall-out from the strategic review.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."